Ares Games

Thread: KR Multicase Foam Trays

NeilCFord

Default REVIEW: KR Multicase Foam Trays

As well as ordering some trays from Figures in Comfort (see here), I also ordered some from KR Multicase.

Here's the tray as it's delivered:

The tray is 260mm x 190mm x 37mm (approx) and is the suggested one for two seater models (KRD3H). It's a pick and pluck style tray rather than having precut spaces.

Here's the tray plucked ready to take an RE8:

The line down the middle of the space is where I have had to remove the glued in wall in order to make space for the mini. Without doing this it would be impossible to fit a plane in the 40mm wide columns.

Here's the tray with the RE8 in place:

As you can see it's a nice snug fit.

I tried figuring out the space required for a Roland, and whilst it's possible, you still need to remove the column wall to do it. How these trays can be advertised as suitable for WoW minis I don't know.

I also bought the KRD4H, which is supposedly suitable for single seaters, but I haven't tried that out. Each tray does come with a top pad as standard. At £4.99 incl. P&P each they aren't bad value, but given their limitations, not really fit for purpose. Unfortunately I can't recommend these trays at all. I suspect the two I have will be relegated to some storage function or other.

- Neil.
    Last edited by NeilCFord; 06-19-2010 at 07:30. Reason: added missing link

Neil, have you had a look at my album for transporting my minis?

NeilCFord

I have indeed I'm was trying to find UK based solutions to the whole transportation and storage problem before looking overseas (customs charges can be a right pain ).

As it is, I think I can achieve something very close to what you have done using the Figures in Comfort case and trays, I'm just waiting on answers from the manufacturer to a couple of questions.

- Neil.

I'm pretty sure someone on this site found and posted a link to a UK supplier for the Army Transport trays.

NeilCFord

The only UK retailer listed on the Sabol site no longer exists, having closed some time ago

There are suppliers on mainland Europe should it come to that.

- Neil.

Neil, as you have both FIC and KR trays, can you tell me if they are the same size? I've been wondering if KR trays would fit into FIC cases.

Looking at the pics, it seems that both companies define 'pick and pluck' a bit differently. The FIC bits you pull out are about 1cm square, as KR trays seem to be bigger blocks. I think you would get a closer fit to the aircraft's shape with the FIC offering.

Hidden Fortress are listed as a UK supplier of Army Transport Trays, but can't access their website at the moment (might be my company's Network Police rather than a duff website).
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

NeilCFord

The KR trays are about half the size of the FiC ones, but not quite. So you couldn't get two of them side by side in a FiC case I think. Also at least one of the trays is thicker, so that further messes things up.

I think I may well end up rounding out my FiC collection with a couple of pick and pluck trays and a case.

Hidden Fortress closed about two years ago, so it's not your work connection making their site unavailable

- Neil.

NeilCFord

Just to round out this review, here's a picture of the single seater tray (KRD4H) from KR:

As you can see, the Albatros DVa wouldn't fit without removing the stuck down column wall. Doh!

- Neil.

I'll amble up to the hangar (loft!) tonite and dig out a FIC P&P tray I've used for FoW (aaaargh! I've started talking in acronyms!) aircraft to take a comparative shot.

I was also wondering if the KR cases allow you to carry the trays horizontally, as you can with the smaller FIC cases, it's not very clear from the KR website - I've got a hang-up about transporting trays on their side, as I always seem to end up digging whatever I've been carrying (usually wargames figures rather than planes) out of the bottom of the case .

Did you guys know that we are running two virtually parallel threads here? I've only just noticed it.Guntruck never let on to me, or I was too drunk at the time.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-18-2010 at 08:10. Reason: additions.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Did you guys know that we are running two virtually parallel threads here? I've only just noticed it.Guntruck never let on to me, or I was too drunk at the time.
    Rob.
    Yes Mister, but the other boy started it

I found my FiC P&P tray, but don't think I'll bother taking a shot of it for comparison. The picking and the plucking wasn't particularly well done, and rather resulted in it looking like 'Le petit dejeuner de chien' . I've just ordered a couple more and will have a better stab at it.

Check out the other thread, KR have new custom trays now.

I don't know if this link is of any interest to anyone?

http://www.efoam.co.uk/pickpluck.html

I was going to get some to try out but haven't got around to it yet so I can't really comment on the quality or suitability. It looks better than the FiC stuff but who knows.

Similar Missions

1. Figures in Comfort Foam Trays
    By NeilCFord in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 05:03

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.