Ares Games

Thread: Explosion chit

RobH

Default Explosion chit

How many people play without the explosion chit in the damage mix. I kind of like the idea of it being in there but my wingman(who is also my 10year old son) has suffered from its effects 3 sortie's in a row, within the the first 2 shots of the games no less, and from the same opponent to add insult to injury. I suppose luck has to change but he finds it frustrating and I loose my wingman.
    Rob H

I play with it in but make sure that it's in the last half or quarter of the deck so at least the guys get some air time in before the wings come off !
    Alot of guys take it out when playing with newbies or youngsters to encourage them to play but I prefer to have it in there somewhere as it adds an edge to the game that everyone enjoys.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I play with it as well... you just never know when you can go BOOM! Younger kids do tend to get frustrated with it though. Lady Luck will come around and soon he will be handing that chit out to his enemies and you will like it well enough!

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    How many people play without the explosion chit in the damage mix.
    I don't use it -- esp. with the WW2 game, where a close-range pass by an Me109 can destroy a Spitfire in one shot. (Haven't been able to get the SO to play _DoW_ since. :P )

As with the WWI version, I leave it in but only apply it's effect if your airplane is already on fire. Using this rule, it doesn't happen too much and you can always make a choice to avoid combat till the flames are out... In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have even more explosion chits/cards in the game with this rule.

It's the most popular card in the deck. People in my group take great pride in exploding instead of being ingloriously, slowly grounded by too many bullets.
    Sure, it's kind of sucky to get it on an early draw, but that's how stories and legends are made!
    We always play with it in!

RobH

Thanks for the replies, I think I will leave it in as is and hope lady luck changes her ways.

It does add that extra level of a disasterous chance. My chief opponent, a 9 yr. old, always asks "Did you get the explosion card?" He loves it whether he gets it or I do.

Thumbs up Explosion chit

I always play with it. It is that Fickle Finger of Fate that keeps me climbing back in the cockpit and making anther head on pass.

Rich

KABOOM!! The scariest card in the deck. Especially if you maintain character sheets for your pilots.

Every time I send a veteran pilot, a guy with a name and a history, out into the line of fire, there's a palpable tension. When I reach into the chit bag to draw damage for him, my heart stops for a moment.

At some point I need to come up with a system for "retiring" my old pilots. Combat fatigue or some such thing. Maybe after being wounded three times....

But no, I wouldn't give up the 'splosion card for anything.

Default Explosion chit

We took out the explosion chit a long time ago in the WWI set. We left it in with the WWII set, however. We think it reflects the lethality of more modern guns. Watching the gun camera films, it just seems sometimes planes just went POOF for no reason.

I don't play with it in. After my 109 was destroyed on the first shot which left me with 2 planes vs 3. I like to slug it out.But each to there own.That's whats so great about this game it can be adapted to play how you like it best.

We just treat it as 10 damage (WWI), which is usually enough to put a serious hurting in the afflicted plane. It seems to have successfully balanced the harshness of the card with the not-funness of getting kicked out of the game randomly.

That sounds like a good idea. 10 damage still painful but not an easy kill,i like it i'm going to try it next game.

Quote Originally Posted by mr7q View Post
    We just treat it as 10 damage (WWI), which is usually enough to put a serious hurting in the afflicted plane. It seems to have successfully balanced the harshness of the card with the not-funness of getting kicked out of the game randomly.
    Not a bad idea. You can still take a big hit but you won't have to face loosing immediately on the very first shot of the game.

Similar Missions

1. Explosion.
    By Hjortfot in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 16:06