Ares Games

Thread: night fighter camo?

Default night fighter camo?

I'm planning to paint a Be2c as a home defense squadron night fighter. Does anyone have a recommendation for color? The illustration I found makes it look like a darkened PC 10.

As a generalization, either standard PC10 and CDL (with the possibility of subdued markings with the white elements overpainted) or black. NIVO becomes available in 1918, as a dark slate green, but 'it is doubtful if any operational aircraft of WWI were finished in Nivo other than... (4 experimental aircraft)'. (WWI British Aeroplane Colours and Markings, Robertson, Albatros Productions 1996).

Officially, from 12 Sep 1916 'Special Insignia for Night Flying Aircraft' stated that 'it has been decided that... for all black-winged night flying aeroplanes: on top and bottom wings (a) white circle the same size as the blue circle used in the marking of day machines (shall be adopted).'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	686_001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	99356
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-15-2013 at 12:05. Reason: national marking info added

Thanks Baldrick. The image I found doesn't have any CDL but it doesn't seem to be completely black. However, it does have the white circles. Is it possible that what they refer to as black-winged is this very dark brownish green? Or perhaps the illustration isn't using a complete black for the sake of detail?
    http://stringbagsandrattleboxes.devh...-factory-be-2/

Paul,
    I'd hate to try to make a definitive 'line call' on an illustration, which is someone's interpretation of what they've either read or seen in a B&W photo. There is documented evidence that 50 (HD) Sqn aircraft were painted black, but they would have been delivered from the factory or aircraft depot in either CDL or PC10/CDL and repainted at some point by sqn personnel, and who's to say whether all their aircraft were repainted anyway. As you can see by the canadian museum photo at #2, their interpretation is a PC10 (appears to be overall, with no CDL) aircraft, but adhering to the 'Special Insignia... ' directive, with the addition of the fuselage roundel. PC10, as discussed on a number of threads across the forum, is a 'protective coating' rather than a 'colour' and it is known that the tonal values of the dope changed over time due to exposure to sunlight, and also due to variations in the mix, so ranges from dark brown or dark green through to khaki and red-brown. I'd suggest you find an illustrative interpretation you're aesthetically happy with and go for it.
    BofB

Exclamation

At least some of the FE2b Night Bombers were painted black. See pic below of one in a museum in England & one flying in NZ.
    If black grabs you I would just go with it.
    Could look great on the games mat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVAL FE 2b's.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	99407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 FE 2b Night colour 3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	99408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 FE 2b Night colour 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	99409

It is interesting to see that they all have a bomb slung under the fuselage Barry.
    I do not usually associate Night Fighters with a bombing role. I would have expected it to affect the rate of climb too much.
    Has anyone further info on this one?
    Rob.

The pictures Barry posted are specificly night bombers, I think just to show me that it was done for night mission planes. Fe2bs were used as night fighters and night bombers, I won't be strapping any bombs on my Be2c. The plan is to mount the upward firing machine gun for zepplin hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I do not usually associate Night Fighters with a bombing role. I would have expected it to affect the rate of climb too much.
    Rob.
    From the RAFM Hendon website - 'The original A6526 was with No. 148 Squadron by 2 April 1918, moving to No 58 Squadron by 14 May 1918, 102 Squadron 28 September 1918, damaged hitting shell hole in forced landing on night bombing sortie 8 October 1918, and deleted 16 October 1918.'
    This aircraft is part restoration, part rebuild.
    http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/document...450-F-E-2b.pdf
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-16-2013 at 04:45.

It is interesting to see that they all have a bomb slung under the fuselage Barry.
    Well, the first Zeppelin to be destroyed by a fixed-wing was taken out with bombs, not gunfire....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_LZ37

Thumbs up

Rob.
    Yes Rob, they are indeed Night Bombers ( note none are called Andy! ) but I thought the paint scheme might help PRS.

Similar Missions

1. Possible night-fighter vs bomber scenario
    By Biggles downunder in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 01:11
  2. SW Camo Gunbus Completed!
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 04:24
  3. Buildin the Skytrex Bristol 2B (Night fighter version.)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 23:58
  4. Camo decal needed.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 14:14