Ares Games

Thread: What do yall think about touching up minis?

Default What do yall think about touching up minis?

For instance, the Fokker D.VIIs all have white rudders. In the case of Udet and Schafer the plane bodies are painted red and blue and both have white decals over the rudder which leaves a bit of red or blue showing in the middle. What are everyone's opinions about touching details such as these up in order to fix them? Is it frowned upon? Does it make the minis less desirable?

They are toys, not replicas. Most models represent aircraft are too well painted other than to come from the factory.

I will generally make those sort of touch-ups to any plane I repaint, but will not repaint a plane only to make those touch-ups. A good example is the Kirshstein Dr.1. It sits in my case untouched, but if I ever get ahold of some good LO decals, I will repaint the wing edges, struts, wheel hubs, wing skids, and maybe the undertail.

I do the touch ups when sufficiently motivated. I have not repainted an Ares plane yet although I bought a number to do that when they were harder to get. Have repainted a lot of F-Toys ones though.

Most wouldn't notice Mike so if it feels right to you go ahead and paint them - they're your air force after all !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Most wouldn't notice Mike so if it feels right to you go ahead and paint them - they're your air force after all !
    Hey Dave, I thought you could arrest people for touching up minis.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte
    I thought you could arrest people for touching up minis
    Only if the touching is done without permission.....

As soon as I buy a new plane it goes straight to the workbench! First it needs a proper pilot, then the wing edges are changed to match the top wing. On British planes the tail usually needs some gaps filled in. Struts often need painting, especially the dh2s where the red and white is missing from three sides. Finally the propellers are too fat and get whittled down to size.

Is it frowned upon?
    Only when the box is first opened!

Ian

Paul Cox

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    As soon as I buy a new plane it goes straight to the workbench! First it needs a proper pilot
    Ian
    When I bought my first batch of planes I added the excellent pilots from Peter Pig, but I haven't attempted to replace any of the moulded 'pilots' from subsequent issues. Do you have any tips you can share on removing these Ian?

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

Touch ups are a personal choice. As they come from the factory, the planes are great and need no work to use for gaming.
    With that said, there are some inaccuracies that are apparent. My own take on this is, I work on them to correct what I see as glaring errors.
    In other areas of collection and gaming, any changes to an original reduces its value. Not quite sure if doing touchups devalues a miniature or not.
    We all have our own preferences and whatever choice that works for you is the right one.
    If interested, there are several threads on the forum that deal with what changes/ corrections we have made to our miniatures.

Most important is to remember is that this is a game, a great excuse to get together with others with like interests and have a lot of fun.

Gyula

Touch-ups?
    I have ordered 5 "Little" Sopwith Triplanes to repaint them as the "Black Flight". So, they are going to get worked over. Not one of the "Little" minis will remain as "Little"s plane (Collishaw only flew a dual gunned Tripe for a few weeks, not his entire time with RNAS 10 Sqn).

Will the planes retain their value? Not after my hack job, but I don't care.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cox View Post
    When I bought my first batch of planes I added the excellent pilots from Peter Pig, but I haven't attempted to replace any of the moulded 'pilots' from subsequent issues. Do you have any tips you can share on removing these Ian?

Cheers

Paul
    I find a 2mm drill bit works well. For camels where the access is restricted I cut a Peter Pig pilot at the shoulders and bore out a hole Underneath so it glues over the blob. I've a Halberstadt to work on next and that looks like the access is tricky so I'll probably use the Camel method. DH2s have metal blobs and can be tricky but if you chop the top of the blob off with some flat cut pliers it all gets much easier (Vallejo brown violet covers up any scratches perfectly). The round grinding head on a Dremel works well when the blob is made of plastic.

I hope this helps you pump your kite!

Ian

I personally have no qualms what so ever about, touching up, re-painting,re-decaling any of the minis to get the aircraft I want to represent.
    They are game pieces to use not keep for selling later. Which is probably why I didn't make a Penney through the last official drought

I personally have no qualms what so ever about, touching up, re-painting,re-decaling any of the minis to get the aircraft I want to represent.
    They are game pieces to use not keep for selling later. Which is probably why I didn't make a Penney through the last official drought

If a plane is well painted based on a historically accurate or a fictional pilot I wouldn't devalue it. A serious collector might though.

For example a while back I was able to buy a repainted Neiuport "Flying Fish". It is by far the favourite plane in my collection because I know the love and care that was put into the model.

Michael

Historical accuracy is nice, although I prefer half-historicla/fantasy schemes, what my collection of repaints shows quite well That is so for some reasons:
    1. "That would have had been my personal plane, if I had been flying with those chaps"
    2. It shows a creator within me (wow!).
    3. I turn off any possible criticism of any nerds (well, I have not met any here)
    4. These are game pieces! When I built 1:72 models of aircraft I can be a real nerd/geek/anorak, trying to match true to original colours. Those models are for display.
    5. I am too lazy to hunt for perfect decals or paint complex insignia.

I am prone to historical accuracy, but Andrzej's point 1. is unbeatable argument.

Absolutely. But being a navy and semi-college town, there are just too many detail types around. But they can be ignored, usually with "sorry, game on, bye".

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Historical accuracy is nice, although I prefer half-historicla/fantasy schemes, what my collection of repaints shows quite well That is so for some reasons:
    1. "That would have had been my personal plane, if I had been flying with those chaps"
    2. It shows a creator within me (wow!).
    3. I turn off any possible criticism of any nerds (well, I have not met any here)
    4. These are game pieces! When I built 1:72 models of aircraft I can be a real nerd/geek/anorak, trying to match true to original colours. Those models are for display.
    5. I am too lazy to hunt for perfect decals or paint complex insignia.

Any way you wish, whatever floats your boat. Or in this case fly's your aircraft. Does it matter. We play for the fun and the fun to play.

I'm prone to go both directions: I love the historically accurate flights, but what-ifs and plausible fantasies, when well done, are good too. How can you not like the Cow Flight?
    Karl

Smile

Well I don't usually but I did add the white wing chevrons to the Voss Albatross & the red tail edging to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Any way you wish, whatever floats your boat. Or in this case fly's your aircraft. Does it matter. We play for the fun and the fun to play.
    Agreed.

Similar Missions

1. looking to buy some ww2 minis
    By troubleshootah in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 01:55
  2. Touching History
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 14:03
  3. New Minis
    By armstrongjohn1 in forum UK Wing