Ares Games

Thread: Melting flame markers

Default Melting flame markers

Hey,

This is more-so a request. I noticed Flying Officer Kyte has done some curving on his Aerodrome damage markers. Could you offer some advice how to give these a bit more flare?

Cheers,
    Michael

I've never done it, but I know Rob heated his up. I'm sure you could do the same if they were held over a candle or placed in the oven. I can tell you the melting point of them is around 320°F (160°C) degrees.

Try a gentle heating with one of those Electric paint strippers at some distance away Michael. I have not tried a hair dryer on Hot, but that may work.
    Remember that plastic stays hot for some time and even if you quench it in cold water, it holds residual heat deep within, so a few minutes later the surface may be hot again. If you bend it wrongly just re heat and the memory in the molecules will flatten it out again, so that you can have another go. Other than crisping the edges, you can't really go wrong.
    Rob.

I think I may try putting them into boiling water first. Not sure if that will work or not.

If not I will try a hair blower. If that doesn't work I think I have a friend who has an electric paint stripper (hot air gun) and give that a shot.

I really like the extra effect of the curving flames.

Thanks for the brilliant idea Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    I think I may try putting them into boiling water first. Not sure if that will work or not.

If not I will try a hair blower. If that doesn't work I think I have a friend who has an electric paint stripper (hot air gun) and give that a shot.

I really like the extra effect of the curving flames.

Thanks for the brilliant idea Rob.
    Boiling water will not be hot enough on the type of plastic from which they are made Mike.
    Rob.

I just noticed Keith's reply of the melting point. Yup totally understand. I will try a hair blower then - I am bald; always knew their would be a good use for the damn thing someday...

Similar Missions

1. Majing Smoke and Flame Markers
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-12-2021, 09:23
  2. Bomber Flame and Smoke Markers
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 22:12
  3. Draschen Flame and Smoke markers.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7