Ares Games

Thread: Catalina stats!---?

Question Catalina stats!---?

G'day All!
    Has anyone done the stats & card for the Catalina?
    With John (jbmacek) now having one available from Shapeways I thought it timely to work out some stats.
    From the RAAF Pt. Cook website I obtained the following info.

Max speed 313 KPH/170 knots.
    2 x .303 Machineguns in bow.
    1 x .50 cal MG in each side blister.
    1 x .303 MG in central position aft of step.

I must admit I have no idea about the last of these weapons. Did it fire downward or upwards?

Anyone know of a card or damage points applicable & what manouver deck would be suitable?

All input greatfully received.

Pretty sure the aft 30 cal fired through a hatch to cover below the aircraft, but that's going by memory. Does WoG WW2 have a deck slow enough for it? :P

Dave

Default RAAF Catalina stats

Hi Barry,

As I have a Consolidated Catalina PBY-5 inbound from Shapeways I have started generating some unofficial stats for the aircraft.

RAAF Consolidated Catalina PBY-5
    Manouver Deck: TBA - With a top speed of 315kph (195mph) this aircraft is too slow for current manouver decks, however I am working on a deck for both this aircraft and the Potez 540 which I also have coming from Shapeways with a similar top speed of 310kph.
    Damage Points: 29 (1940 production, very little armour but with self sealing tanks - PBY-5A gets 30 points due to improved armour)
    Firepower: 1941-42 - Bow turret A/A (twin .30 cal), Waist blisters A/A (single .30 cal). Later PBY's had twin .50 cal in the nose (B/A) and a single .30 cal in a ventral tunnel (A/A).
    Maximum Altitude: 7 (5500 m)
    Climb Rate: 8 - different sources provide climb rates from 3.3m/s to 6 m/s so I went for a median rate.
    Bombload: 1800kg of bombs or depth charges carried under wings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat1.gif 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	98758

Here are some colour profiles for RAAF Catalinas.

Name:	Catalina.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	98759

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Manouver Deck: TBA - With a top speed of 315kph (195mph) this aircraft is too slow for current manouver decks,
    Steal one of the X[n] decks from _Flight of the Giants_?

The rear firing 0.30 machine gun was fired through a tunnel aft of the hull step. It was there to eliminate the 'blind spot' below the tail.

Thumbs up

Hi Barry,

As I have a Consolidated Catalina PBY-5 inbound from Shapeways I have started generating some unofficial stats for the aircraft.

RAAF Consolidated Catalina PBY-5
    Manouver Deck: TBA - With a top speed of 315kph (195mph) this aircraft is too slow for current manouver decks, however I am working on a deck for both this aircraft and the Potez 540 which I also have coming from Shapeways with a similar top speed of 310kph.
    Damage Points: 29 (1940 production, very little armour but with self sealing tanks - PBY-5A gets 30 points due to improved armour)
    Firepower: 1941-42 - Bow turret A/A (twin .30 cal), Waist blisters A/A (single .30 cal). Later PBY's had twin .50 cal in the nose (B/A) and a single .30 cal in a ventral tunnel (A/A).
    Maximum Altitude: 7 (5500 m)
    Climb Rate: 8 - different sources provide climb rates from 3.3m/s to 6 m/s so I went for a median rate.
    Bombload: 1800kg of bombs or depth charges carried under wings.

Name:	cat1.gif 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	98758

Carl.
    Thanks Carl!
    Interestingly the Pt. Cook stats give the Cat a .50 cal in the side blisters but .303 everywhere else.
    Looks like at least some of the RAAF ones must have had 50 cals in the Blisters.

Wonder if one of the "X" decks from WW1 would work. I will check when I am back home!.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Steal one of the X[n] decks from _Flight of the Giants_?
    We can't use a WGF card because of the high speed /low speed arrows required for WGS aircraft.

The Catalina is so slow that you would have to play a negative card on the front of the base! Zoe came up with a solution for the Ju 52 which is substantially slower than the Catalina, we may have to work out something similar for the Cat. See this thread - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post208864

Work in progress.

Cheers,

Carl.

Generally, US aircraft didn't use .303 but .30-06. Minor difference, but it was for the same reason as the RAF's .303's: maintaining a standardized ammo supply between a nation's armed services.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Generally, US aircraft didn't use .303 but .30-06. Minor difference, but it was for the same reason as the RAF's .303's: maintaining a standardized ammo supply between a nation's armed services.
    The first Catalinas received by the RAAF were unarmed and equipped with local machine guns - even old Lewis and Vickers K guns in the nose and blisters.

Amigo, guess I shoulda been clearer--export aircraft were frequently reequipped to local prefs or delivered "bare" for local fitting, but in US service the .30-06 was preferred over the .303.

We can't use a WGF card because of the high speed /low speed arrows required for WGS aircraft.
    Easily-enough dealt with -- "slow" is a normal move, "fast" is normal card plus a stall card.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Easily-enough dealt with -- "slow" is a normal move, "fast" is normal card plus a stall card.
    Still doesn't solve the problem that any card placed in front of the Ju 52 stand is simply too fast.

I'm going to work out a manouver deck where you can slide the card under the back of the base. It will have 11 cards - a climb, a dive, a stall, two straights, two 60 degree turns each way and a steep sideslip each way.

Still doesn't solve the problem that any card placed in front of the Ju 52 stand is simply too fast.
    The Ju-87's cruise speed hovered around 170mph; it moves maybe 3/4 of a fighter-card total. The -52 cruised at around 120-130mph, depending on sources; with an XA card alone, the -52's move should be correctly proportional. No need for (another) completely-new deck.

([sigh] So much of this could have been alleviated by starting movement from the center of the card/mini, rather than the edge....)

Similar Missions

1. General Whos interested in a 1/200 Catalina if one is made?
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 08:25
  2. FE 8 Stats
    By Boney10 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 03:02
  3. Catalina PBY abandoned
    By Canuck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 19:26
  4. Stats for DFW C.V ?