Ares Games

Thread: Hangout over Skype

Fraxture

Default Hangout over Skype

I was curious if anyone here has ever used Hangout to play games with friends overseas?
    I have seen Skype pop up, but I have had so many issues with it, and I have had great success playing tabletop RPG and other games over google hangout.
    Expecially with all of the plugins that can assist in dice rolling, or even image(card) sharing on everyone's screen.

Here is an example of a Bolt Action game being played over Google Hangout.

And a group of players I have played RPG games with using Hangout..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PP...ture=c4-feed-u

Hi John being in deepest rural Brittany my connection is via telephone cables so realativly slow , to slow to host our Skype games thats down to Old guy Mike in BC .
    Anything to get some games going Internationaly is good by me . What do you need to get a multi player game going?

Hmmm....
    More technology to distract me! I will take a look at this, too.

Anything that results in games is good.

Mike

Finally had a moment to look this over.

Hmmm... Free is good. It would save the $9.99 subscription to Skype Premium. And it looks like it might work on my tablet, too. Have to check that as well, for an alternate video feed.

We will have to try this out. When is good for you guys?

Mike

Sounds good count me in if you can for a game.

Default Global Tutoring Game & Google Hangout Trial - WGS Dogfight - Spits vs 109s

All,
    So, John [Fraxture] wanted to know if Google Hangout is as good as, or better, than Skype for video gaming. And I need lessons in WGS.

Below is a suggested time table for a game, and it would allow four on four, which I understand would be a good WGS game. I have four Spitfires and four Bf109s.

This would require that all participants download and install Google Hangout, and that we can get connected for the game.

If that doesn't work for everyone, we could go for a Skype game, and I would host. That means everyone needs to post their info on the WGS Skype Player's Forum so I can send a contact request to them prior to the game. All the players have to be on my Contact List for me to invite them into a Group Video Call. I don't know how this will work on Hangout, but this is the time to try it out. If we all have Google Plus accounts, it looks like this is free for all the participants, where Skype requires the host to have Skype Premium at $10.00 a month.

Let me know if you are in.

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Comox (Canada) Sunday, 7 July at 05:00 AM PDT UTC-7 hours
    Newark (U.S.A. - Ohio) Sunday, 7 July at 08:00 AM CDT UTC-4 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Sunday, 7 July at 01:00 PM BST UTC+1 hours
    Rome (Italy) Sunday, 7 July at 02:00 PM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Talvern (France) Sunday, 7 July at 02:00 PM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Opole (Poland) Sunday, 7 July at 02:00 PM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Toowoomba (Australia) Sunday, 7 July at 10:00 PM AEST UTC+10 hours
    Palmy (New Zealand) Midnight between Sunday, 7 July and Monday, 8 July at 00:00 AM NZST UTC+12 hour
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Sunday, 7 July at 12:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
    Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Bugger would love to play but have to drop my son at the ferry port that afternoon so will not be back before 17.00CET

The Sunday time is very convenient for me and I would like to take part
    Thanks, Mike.

I'll have to check with swmbo so I can't commit at the present time, apologies.

Is Saturday the 6th any better for all? Same timings as above.

Mike

Default How Does Google Hangout Work? Darned if I Know, but...

For Google Hangout, I beleive you need a Google email address, and then you can activate Google+.
    Or not. Try signing into Google+ with some other service provider's email account, and see if it works. I already had a Gmail account, so it was simple for me.

Once you sign in with Google+ it will ask for a bunch of personal information, which you can refuse to post (like I did). Once you are in the Google+ realm, you can invite people to join your "Circle". Once in a "Circle", people can message, audio call and video call each other. I will put my Google+ contact info in my profile, for others on the Forum to see.

I have set everything to private, and only my "Circle" can contact me or look at anything in my Profile (to which I have only put my name and city).

For a Hangout game, you would log into Google+ at the appropriate time, and when the Host sees you, they would invite you to join the video group, pretty much like Skype (I hope).

Let's hope the trial is as easy as the above. Anyone else with experience, straighten me out, or confirm, please.

Mike

Saturdays all right for fighting for me

Mike having a problem getting you on a circle or as a hangout with the address /ID you gave on your profile found out why your emaimal address on profile is -at- not@

Paul, Mike can you pm me your email address for google+. I'm on but don't know how to create the circle? Any help would be appreciated.

Guys,
    Paul and Neil have contacted me, but they would be the best to post how that worked out. It may be that I opened my account to "anyone can see me", as of last night.

Also, I don't know what my account name looks like, it could just be "Michael Owen" in "Comox, BC." Please let me know that, too.

If we can trial Hangout on Saturday with Paul and Neil, we could play on Skype for Sunday. Or whatever. If we play on Saturday, and with just European players, could we consider a later start time?

Please let me know what is best. I'm up for both days, even if they are at 5:00 AM for me (sucker for punishment).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    If we can trial Hangout on Saturday with Paul and Neil, we could play on Skype for Sunday. Or whatever. If we play on Saturday, and with just European players, could we consider a later start time?

Please let me know what is best. I'm up for both days, even if they are at 5:00 AM for me (sucker for punishment).

Mike
    OK, it is getting late for me, and no answer on the timing for Saturday. The cats will have me up at 6:00 AM my time tomorrow morning, and I'll check email notices and the Forum. However, I won't be set up for a game right away. So, 3:00 PM-ish France, and 4:00 PM-ish England? Or a bit later, for you to have dinner. If we are trying out WGS, it should be a few short games, I think. Not the 5 hour slog, killing the whale with minnows.

I will be set up and ready for Sunday Morning whether we play Saturday or not. Just post something to the thread to let me know if it is Skype or Hangout.

Mike

Mike definate now for Sunday 14.00 or 15.00CET whichever you and the rest of the players prefer. will try a connection via video with hangout today to see if its ok
    .Paul Ps I have spits and 109s as well

I have just installed the Hangout, but have not tried it so far. My Google/Gmail account is nightbomber.as@gmail.com

OK,
    Sunday morning at Oh Dark Stupid (for me) it is! Looking forward to the game. If Alastair can't link in with Hangout, we will need to switch to Skype, this time.

Stand by for technical difficulties.

Mike

All,
    Sunday's (7 July 2013) Scenario Set-up:

Name:  WWII Tutorial Game.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  62.8 KB

3" x 4" (two playing mats side X side?)

Mike

PS: Altitude? Bf109s start higher than the Spits on the intercept?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-06-2013 at 16:11. Reason: Altitude?

Mike I will have to pass on this one I have come down with the flu (its winter here and it gets very cold by Australian standards) my appologies Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Mike I will have to pass on this one I have come down with the flu (its winter here and it gets very cold by Australian standards) my appologies Alastair
    Big pouty face.

Both because you are not feeling well, and we will miss you. Get better soon!

If you are feeling better in the week, I am trying to get a game on with Andy [freebird_52] to test out an "Over the Trenches" mission. It might be an opportunity to join in on that, as you aren't in that campaign? I don't know what your weekday timing is like, but perhaps Thursday morning from 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon?

That would be:
    Location...................................Local time...................................................Time zone.....UTC offset
    Comox (British Columbia)........Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 4:00:00 PM.......PDT...........UTC-7 hours
    Columbus (Ohio).....................Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 7:00:00 PM.......EDT...........UTC-4 hours
    Toowoomba (Queensland)...... Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 9:00:00 AM..........AEST..........UTC+10 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT).......Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 23:00:00

Of course, this would be conditional on Andy being available that night, too. I'm available any evening except Thursday, and this coming weekend (Friday 12 July to Sunday 14 July) is out, too.

Mike

Yes Alastair keep warm and plenty of fluids

I am very sorry, dear chaps, family Sunday meeting and lunch take me away from the computer. The closest have their rights

Hey all,
    Looks like only Neil [skafloc] and Paul [tikkifriend] to start, and Jan [Lino22] in an hour-ish. I am logging into Hangout!

Mike

OK,
    That didn't work. Back to Skype for this game.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I am very sorry, dear chaps, family Sunday meeting and lunch take me away from the computer. The closest have their rights
    Ah. Quite right to The gaming is fun but the family are there all the time and deserve attention too

All,
    It would have been nice to get more players in, but that will come.

Alastair, I would suggest an old friend's cure for what ails you, but the cure is the high-yield, strategic nuke version of swatting a fly with a sledge-hammer. A 40 oz'er of Capt Morgan's Dark Rum. All at once. If you survive the hang-over, the germs and viruses are dead.

The game, for anyone interested is posted here: WGS Battle of Britain Tutorial - The Germans Are Taught a Lesson.

To Paul [tikkifriend] and Jan [Lino22], thanks for the game.

Next time, we have to get Hangout working so we can share a video of the game.

Mike

Fraxture

I am terribly sorry for being absent lately.
    I found out the 1st week of July my older brother was Intensive Care with Stage 4 Lung Cancer at Mount Carmel East.
    So I have been preoccupied with that unfortunately.

I am in desperate need of some WoW to take my mind off things for awhile.
    Will be playing catch up on the site here.

John,
    I can totally understand your preoccupation. Positive vibes and prayers are being sent your way.

If you are interested in a game, Andy [freebird-52], a few of his local friends, and I are play testing Mission Six again. If you want to join in, we could try Hangout for the game.

See post #22 above for the timings, but for this Friday, 19 July. We can invite you to the game in either application.

Mike :-)

Hi John If you want a game to ease the tension we are here. Meanwhile think posative and take comfort and strength from those around you
    Paul

All,
    As of Friday evening, I am on Terminal Leave, heading into retirement. I do have a get-together on Sunday morning, but otherwise I'm free for the weekend. I still want to try Hangout, if possible.

So, if Fraxture, Skafloc, or someone else, wants to throw together a game, I'm in! Any time Friday night or Saturday, even midnight to two in the morning. Also, I can do weekday mornings now, so evenings in Europe during the week work, too.

Mike :-)

Similar Missions

1. Anybody played WoW via Skype ?
    By tikkifriend in forum French Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-17-2016, 01:30
  2. Skype players forum
    By tikkifriend in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 02-27-2016, 13:40
  3. 2 Years in to WoW via Skype
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club