Ares Games

Thread: Last Dornier 17 breaks surface

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Last Dornier 17 breaks surface

According to the BBC News the last surviving Dornier 17 is off the seabed near the Goodwin Sands and is floating just under the surface.

These refer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22411430

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22380915

Wow, doesn't look too good, but what can you expect? Don't lean on it or your hand will push through! I wonder if this will be one of those 'restorations' where everything gets replaced with newly fabricated parts except the engine blocks!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Wow, doesn't look too good, but what can you expect? Don't lean on it or your hand will push through! I wonder if this will be one of those 'restorations' where everything gets replaced with newly fabricated parts except the engine blocks!
    According to Baldrick's readings, they're going for a conservation; so clean it up, and halt the rot and call it a day.
    Can't say I blame them; in this condition, it would be cheaper, and pretty much as authentic, to build a repro from scratch.
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    The short answer is 'no'. The RAF Museum's policy is NOT to go for massive rebuilds. They already hold the 'last' Halifax bomber which was also rescued from underwater. A restoration was started and then stopped as policy changed in favour of exhibiting it 'as found' with only conservation to prevent further corrosion. As I understand it the Dornier is to be treated with citric acid to neutralise the salt and then conserved pretty much 'as found'.

Similar Missions

1. A great game surface!
    By Bartman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 09:33
  2. Playing Surface materials
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 21:33
  3. My gaming surface!!
    By Arendal in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5