Ares Games

Thread: New Ares Series

Dragon

Question New Ares Series

Does anyone know when the new ares WWI aseries of planes is going to be available?
    Siemens, Sopwith triplane, Hanriot etc

I should have them in stock the latter part of June.

Lets hope they are for sale in the UK soon or I may have to bite the bullet on postage and make a transatlantic order...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

They're not available *anywhere* yet, but past experience is several weeks after the US for UK and other European retailers - Ares doesn't seem particularly concerned about its non-US stockists.

Dragon

Very keen to add these to the collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    They're not available *anywhere* yet, but past experience is several weeks after the US for UK and other European retailers - Ares doesn't seem particularly concerned about its non-US stockists.
    Where do you usually get them from?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'm a stockist myself (albeit a somewhat frustrated / jaded one.... ) so probably not the right person for an unbiased reply to that....

I feel your pain..
    Pm me your website... You can never have enough frustrated and jaded stockists on your go to list.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Good reply.... On the way, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Hmm... They may be ready for Prague

Quote Originally Posted by PunkReaper View Post
    I feel your pain..
    Pm me your website... You can never have enough frustrated and jaded stockists on your go to list.
    I on the other hand am totally unbiased Martin, and can vouch for Dom's service, jaded though he may be. If it is available here he will have it.
    Rob.

Result, I cannot wait for my preorder of two Siemen Schuckert's to fly against Hayden's pesky Sopworth Snipes.

Dragon

Any news on when they might arrive yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Any news on when they might arrive yet?
    Probably not in time for Prague

The guy who has got a game shop here in Prague contacted Ares, trying to explain them that an European store would actually bring money to them. No interest.
    When we asked them to provide us with a nice hi-res digital image for our WoG Prague con, so we can put it on the shop door, the answer was - our designer is sick. When we repeated that a week later - no answer. They're fairly weird fellows to talk to.

It's pretty sad that a European company doesn't support its European players any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino22 View Post
    The guy who has got a game shop here in Prague contacted Ares, trying to explain them that an European store would actually bring money to them. No interest.
    When we asked them to provide us with a nice hi-res digital image for our WoG Prague con, so we can put it on the shop door, the answer was - our designer is sick. When we repeated that a week later - no answer. They're fairly weird fellows to talk to.
    That is incredibly disheartening to hear.

So a store contacted the manufacturer, and the manufacturer did not want to deal directly with the store... seems perfectly normal to me. Ares has publicly stated several times which distributors they use in Europe. That is who the store should be talking to.

For a while I also had trouble getting images from them when the designer was sick. Keep in mind that they are company with a business to run. They try and help us players out when they can (which is a lot more then a lot of game companies do!), but sometimes things get set aside for later and never picked back up.

Most of you don't probably realize (from what I've been told) that Ares only has 3 full time employees and maybe another 3 part time guys. So, when they say they are a small company, they really mean it!

"Most of you don't probably realize (from what I've been told) that Ares only has 3 full time employees .."

That is what i expected. That explains it all i guess.

EDIT: I apologize if i sounded sour, i didn't believe they were this small. Thank you for letting the cat out of the bag, they do incredibly well for being just 3 men aboard. Although my expectations have dropped and my tolerance raised a lot.
    Last edited by Lino22; 07-09-2013 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    That is incredibly disheartening to hear.
    Actually no it isn't. What Ares is (at least from what I have read) is a design group. Who then farms out production, distribution and sales to other groups. Ares seems to concentrate on design (which is what we all really want), and lets the other sub groups proceed on their own, which is why they have little or no control of the day to day production, distribution and sales. Unlike the major groups with a horde of bureaucrats to run the nit-picky things and help drive the price of the items up.... Basically we do not see a manager to head publicity, or a manager for manufacturing, or a manager for design, or a manager for distribution, or a million and more of the types you associate with say Wizards of the Coast. Many of the companies that went under and now belong to hasbro, had the overstaff problem. Hasbro slashed most of the deadweight and made them profitable again. Ares just has not bought into the idea that they need deadweight. So you have to contact the secondary companies instead, maybe if the shops merely ask for the contact data for them from Ares they might get somewhere.

The only bad part that I see is that when the design group is at a con, they are not designing.

EDIT: I apologize if i sounded sour, i didn't believe they were this small. Thank you for letting the cat out of the bag, they do incredibly well for being just 3 men aboard. Although my expectations have dropped and my tolerance raised a lot.
    No worries at all mate! We are such avid fans of these games and we don't all have all the info behind the scenes, so it's hard not to question why they can't do this or that. One of the things I've tried to do with this site is good a good pulse of what we as gamers want and bring that to Ares from a single source. That way it's much easier for them to track and deal with. Not only are they a small company, but they are still a very new company as well. I think as time goes by, we will see more and better stuff out of them (not talking just products here).

From my own dealings with Ares I am assured that they are as supportive as the possibly can be given the extreme resource constraints within which they operate. They are fully aware that groups such as the various Aerodrome teams (and now Anchorage teams - as we are promoting Sails of Glory at shows and events now too) effectively constitute their promotional and demonstration teams, that we do a very good job, and they seek to help and support wherever possible. With only three full time staff that is always going to be a problem, but hopefully our efforts will lead to a growth in sales and in the company, and such pressures will ease.

On the promo material front i'm sure there are people here who have created soft copy files that could be adapted for events anywhere, as long as they were aware there was a need, nd were willing to share or create bespoke files.

I wondered what was the business model Ares utilized. Now I know. Thanks!!

Thanks for the insight everyone. It is great to learn more about the company which produces products we love.

Michael

Dragon

Oberst, I see you have 4 of the new planes available, did you already sell out of the others or they never arrived?

Sold out, but a restock is coming soon.

Dragon

Are you going to do the 12 pack deal again?

Lyndon, the Complete Series offer I had is the same price as buying them individually from me, it just came with a free special damage marker set. Once the minis are actually released, I do not offer that "product" again as it is too difficult to manage my inventory with multiple products of the same miniature.

Similar Missions

1. WGF: New Ares planes, 3D views. Series 7?
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 13:55
  2. Ares Sneak Peek: Series 6 minis
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 06:40
  3. Ares WWI Dual Pack and Series 1 Re-release Pics
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 10:59
  4. WGF Seeking some series 1-3 minis, have some of series 1, 2 and 4 to trade
    By Xen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 07:06
  5. WGS: WGS planes, NOT Series 3 (Ares release info)
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 15:15