Ares Games

Thread: Damage decks

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Default Damage decks

Just a rant post that some one out there may have found a better way to work around.

After playing and running games with WoW/WoG for some years now, I am finding a serious desire to acquire more damage decks. Yes, I suppose I can make something that is at least functional but I do think that it would be nice if there were some way to purchase them other than in the basic box ($25+) and things we do not need more of, or the dual kits ($30+) with just an A deck plus how many duplicate models does the average guy want?

We are starting a campaign this week and most scenarios will have eight to twelve planes in the air. One deck is sufficient for about four planes. I have all four of the original Nexus kits and that gave me two, count them, two B decks and everything in the air needs the B deck.
    I am aware that cards can be recycled and all that but I would like to deal out limited ammo to the pilots. Eight shots for eight planes is sixty-four long-range shots to one hundred twenty-eight at short. Two decks is only eighty-eight. So if only four players, it will work but any more and I have to turn to expedients. When it comes to the A deck (only 35 cards) the problem would be worse but I do have four A decks.

Lots of methods around this come to mind but the most elegant way is to have sufficient decks.

I will probably make a custom B deck using business cards through my printer. Workable but not particularly durable and not as esthetically pleasing. Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks to all.

You could simulate the decks using random numbers on a computer or even with a scientific calculator. Do you know how to do this? However you would still need chits to place on the planes' control panels.

Look in the 'Files' section under 'Game Aids' and you will find some damage decks to print off.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 05-27-2013 at 17:01.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Good idea.

I did the math and made an odds table but the problem with that is you do not get the 'rotation' of results one gets with a deck of cards. Doing it that way would result in a fundamental change in the game. Also, I am notoriously unlucky with die and some of my comrades are just the opposite <g>. Now I could possibly write a program that ran the numbers, returned a result and then deleted that result from the span of possibilities but it is much easier to just print up some cards. Cards are also easier to use in the social aspect of gaming.

Thank you for your input.

I thought that I had trolled the files section pretty thoroughly. You have proven me wrong. Great! I do hate reinventing the wheel.

Another thank you is in order...
    Last edited by Suffern; 05-27-2013 at 17:06. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Suffern View Post
    I will probably make a custom B deck using business cards through my printer. Workable but not particularly durable and not as esthetically pleasing. Suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks to all.
    Actually, using your printer, and a little bit of designing (including some simple colour scheme for the backs) can lead you to great customized Damage decks. I did so and it works so good. Only thing you should do to protect cards is to glue some transparent self-adhesive foil to the cards.

Those are simple designed black and white, but they'll serve to the purpose.
    D deck.docx
    C deck.docx
    Backs.docx
    A deck.docx
    B deck.docx

Edit: B deck added.
    Last edited by Пилот; 05-28-2013 at 06:58.

I found an easier way. Print the damage cards on a sticky paper and stick them to the faces of regular size playing cards. Then you have "professional" and identical (but not WoG themed) card backs.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Both good ideas, thank you very much. I should have thought of the use of playing cards as we did that with some random event cards for our Napoleonic games. Another senior moment, I suppose...

I was thinking of using card stock to begin with but even then the finish leaves something to be desired. So, do I print card stock or shall I use paper and a deck of playing cards -- so many choices. <g>

I use 200g paper, and stick foils on both sides. And I must admit, Nightbomber's idea sounds very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    I use 200g paper, and stick foils on both sides. And I must admit, Nightbomber's idea sounds very good.
    I am a lazy man, dear friend, that is why I did that

I wasn't lazy enough... I'm ashamed

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Well, I have some reward money from the office supply to use so, perhaps tomorrow, I start getting the show on the road. Reports will follow. And thanks again to our overseas compatriots who been so helpful.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

I guess I ought to update this, especially after seeing this thread:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...5-damage-cards

I made some new cards with the help of some files from the site. Results are mixed. I will term them 'good enough'. Of course the War Department termed the Sherman tank as 'good enough' and you know how that turned out.
    Anyway, I used 110# card stock, printed both sides and sprayed with clear coat. Cut to size (this is the really hard, nitpicky part) which are never 100% uniform and the corners were trimmed. Individually they look just fine, as a deck, they are a bit ragged. I doubt they will stand up to repeated shufflings. The only better recourse is to have them made up professionally. Naturally we can not do that, copywrites being what they are these days, the cost notwithstanding.

I appreciate all the feedback I got here, you all were actually a big help.

Hummm, maybe print, cut, and put into sleeves could be a solution ? At least for durability while shuffling.

May even be "good enough", but an official solution would be much, much, much better.

Sleeves are a bit cumbersome for my taste, specially when you have to shuffle the deck. Officials are the best solution, of course, but they might be less available than hand made ones. And the hand made ones you can adjust to your needs and taste. You can make fairly durable chits, cards or else what suits you.

Sleeves are a bit cumbersome for my taste, specially when you have to shuffle the deck. Officials are the best solution, of course, but they might be less available than hand made ones. And the hand made ones you can adjust to your needs and taste. You can make fairly durable chits, cards or else what suits you.
    Indeed, as a WoWS I am used to damage markers, I will just have the correct amount of markers and the damage on them. Could be a solution, if the problem arises.

The only better recourse is to have them made up professionally. Naturally we can not do that, copywrites being what they are these days, the cost notwithstanding.
    I'm pretty sure the only thing remotely copywritable about the damage decks are the special damage symbols. Create your own versions of those, and the rest is just numbers. Then you can have them printed at places like Artscow.com.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Great find, Pseudo

Great find, Pseudo
    Indeed, great idea !!!

Still, sleeves are the best protection for your cards when kids join the game, especially kids you do not know.

Last year the sleeves saved my cards at a gaming event for kids, when I strictly insisted on no kids with any food or drinks around the table. One of them broke the rule, I suspect after his Mom had told him to not worry and take his drink with him, despite my loud requests that drinks are left on another table. The first thing he did was to spill half a liter of Cola all over the gaming board. Luckily, all cards on the table were sleeved.

Happy ending
    I must add, when using sleeves you can print card on ordinary paper. (althugh I don't use sleeves)

Similar Missions

1. wanted: flight decks/damage decks/plane cards
    By boomerpete53 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 15:05
  2. Damage decks
    By johnandtricia in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 05:31
  3. Damage Decks
    By Boney10 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3