Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card Sleeves, Anybody use them?

Sparkomatic

Default Card Sleeves, Anybody use them?

Need an opinion on the use of card sleeves. I'm playing mostly with children and does anybody use card sleeves? How does their use affect the game?

I've never heard of them! What are they please, and where are they sold?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lightbulb Not a bad idea

I play mostly with big kids at my club as well - sadly most of them are over 40

Rob, these are plastic protective sleeves (or wallets) that are used for collectable trading cards, see here for example:

http://www.tradingcardprotection.co....llets-10-c.asp

Probably not a bad idea if you are playing with young 'uns to keep the cards from being covered in jam (jelly to the Colonials ), crisps (chips to the etc) or whatever.

Ł15 for 100 sleeves doesn't seem a bad return for keeping a pristine set of cards, considering the price of replacing a deck or two.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I use these and find they have no detrimental effect on the game and make a big difference to keeping your cards in good condition.

I have a small bunch of guys who play now and again and frankly some need reminding not to toy with them or bend them.

The ones I use are manufactured by Mayday games and you want 45mm x 68 mm, which I believe is the 'European' size.

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/ite...=48&sub_cat=40

from here you get 100 for Ł1.30!
    Last edited by Belis4rius; 06-10-2010 at 03:41.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get some and try them out. Quite a bit of our gaming is done when camping with other reenactors, so beer, and blowing off the table can be a problem.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll get some and try them out. Quite a bit of our gaming is done when camping with other reenactors, so beer, and blowing off the table can be a problem.
    Rob.
    From my experience of re-enactors, beer is NOT a problem

George, you forgot to mention sticking the corners of the card in their mouths and sucking/nibbling them - I SO don't like that, especially when it's my cards!

And for Ł1.30 for 100, methinks I will give them a go.

[QUOTE=Guntruck;16911]From my experience of re-enactors, beer is NOT a problem

Any reenactor who blunders into the gaming table and knocks my beer over has got a problem!
    Rob.

Sparkomatic

Default Thanks Guys

I think I'll order some from Mayday, they seem like cheap insurance

Semeket

Fantasy Flight Games produce clear card sleeves for WoW , as they state on the back of the packet!. You'll need the Mini European Board Games size.

They may be 5mm longer than the cards but they are the perfect width.

I've attached a photo - hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010234.JPG  

Hi John.
    Thanks for the info. Are they substantial? And what price do they come in at?
    Rob.

Semeket

They seem very good quality, come in packs of 50 and I paid Ł1.80 per pack. I don't know whether you can get them cheaper or not.

I was at the Games Expo in Birmingham last weekend and just happened to ask a card games dealer whether he had any protectors for WoW and those sleeves were the result.

NeilCFord

I'd need to see the packaging to be sure, but chances are FFG are buying in the sleeves from someone else, which makes it likely that they are of the same quality as the Mayday ones.

John - did you source the FFG sleeves in the UK?

- Neil.

Semeket

The FFG sleeves are 44 x 68mm, 100 micron polypropylene, purchased from a UK based Magic the Gathering card game dealer. I wasn't aware of Mayday until I saw this thread.

I'd be interested to see what the difference is, as with this game, I've found that 50 sleeves are soon used up!

Hi John.
    Thanks for the info. Are they substantial? And what price do they come in at?
    Rob.

It's funny! I just purchased a couple of packets of them. Very good to protect the decks, especially the damage decks that need to be often shuffled.
    I spent about 6 euros for 200 pieces. They were enough to put in all the cards I need in a game.

Here's some pics.

Mine are arcanetinmen board game sleeves, size small.

http://arcanetinmen.com/typo3temp/pics/96a525ec70.jpg

Mayday fit beautifully, they have a slight overlap of about 2mm, they are nice and shiney, are hardy, crystal clear and make any home made cards nice and easy to shuffle etc.

And they are cheap, highly recommended if you live in the UK.

Actually this thread might solve a problem I'm giving thought to - I'm considering enlarging the cards to use with 1/72 scale aircraft, and thought the best protection would be to laminate them, albeit a bit expensive and fiddly. Now if someone makes sleeves the right size, I'd be a happy bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post

The ones I use are manufactured by Mayday games and you want 45mm x 68 mm, which I believe is the 'European' size.

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/ite...=48&sub_cat=40

from here you get 100 for Ł1.30!
    Thanks for the info. I've just sent off an order for 200 to see how they go.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Actually this thread might solve a problem I'm giving thought to - I'm considering enlarging the cards to use with 1/72 scale aircraft, and thought the best protection would be to laminate them, albeit a bit expensive and fiddly. Now if someone makes sleeves the right size, I'd be a happy bunny.
    Mayday Games(see below) go up to 57x 89. for Ł1.60.Might be worth a look at their site.
    Rob.

Now if someone makes sleeves the right size, I'd be a happy bunny.
    The size is exactly the one we need :-)

Sparkomatic

Checkout maydaygames.com, they have many different sizes, are low cost and their shipping is reasonable, plus they have a game sizing chart.

NeilCFord

I've just placed an order for the Mayday Premium sleeves (Ł1.30 for 50), so I shall report back when they arrive.

- Neil.

I bought some Fantasy Flight Games sleeves a few months ago. After one game I took them off my cards, I really don't like them. I put them on my damage cards to protect them as they are the highest use cards in the set but having the sleeves in place makes the stack three times as high and because they are so slippery the stack keeps falling over and cards spill across the table during a game every time the table is bumped. This new problem could be fixed by placing the stacked cards in a specialy made container or by simply taking the sleeves off. I took the sleeves off its easier, I will just be more carefull with my damage cards. Sorry to sound blunt but I can see absolutely no practical use for sleeves in this game, they are a total waste of money.

Mayday Games(see below) go up to 57x 89. for Ł1.60.Might be worth a look at their site.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Ordered!

Mine arrived today. Perfect fit, and not really any more slippery than the card surface itself. Nevertheless, Trevor's idea for a box to put them in gave me an idea. I am going to try a dispenser rather like the shoe used in Baccarat. This should mean that the cards are drawn from the bottom of the deck, and re loaded from the top.
    Rob.

BoardGameExtras

Default what is the difference between card sleeves

Hi my name is Andrew Wood, I'm the managering director of Board Game Extras, just found this thorugh checking my site logs and wondered if I could give you some information.

The sleeves Mayday Games and FFG produce are different thickness. (we are the UK distributors for Mayday Games and so only sell their's)

The standard Mayday Games sleeves are 0.4mm thick
    The premium Mayday Games sleeves are 0.9mm thick
    The FFG sleeves I believe are 1mm thick

The thicker the sleeve the more hard wearing they will be, but the downside is the larger will be your pack of cards, as someone has already mentioned the FFG sleeves while more hard wearing mean you have a deck of cards 2-3 times higher, and most of the time the standard sleeves are enough.

We have taken the list of sleeves for games that Mayday Games provide and written a little script which means that from our website you can work out what sleeves you need for what game. However, if we are missing any games please do let us know the size of cards and we will happily add them.

thank you,

Andrew Wood
    BoardGameExtras

We have taken the list of sleeves for games that Mayday Games provide and written a little script which means that from our website you can work out what sleeves you need for what game. However, if we are missing any games please do let us know the size of cards and we will happily add them.

thank you,

Andrew Wood
    BoardGameExtras
    First of all welcome to the site Andrew. I was so impressed with the pack that you sent me last week, that I ordered another 7 yesterday. They are the standard thin ones and will do the job fine for general run of the mill play.
    Thanks.
    Rob. Aka Flying Officer Kyte.

BoardGameExtras

Thank you Rob for the welcome.
    Glad to hear the sleeves did the job, your latest order should be with you by the end of the week.
    thank you,
    Andrew Wood
    BoardGameExtras

I have not done this. The WoW cards have a nice glossy coat which make claening easy. We just make sure hands and surface are cleane went we start. Besides the FF one seem a bit pricy. I have always used the penny sleeves for my War at Sea and axis and allies collecton, but those cards are not as durable IMO not to mention they are for a collectibel MIni game, so a desir to keep them in pristine condition for future trade/sale if need be.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dean
    Sorties Flown

I placed my order last Wednesday the 16th for 5 packs of sleeves and as yet still haven't recieved anything. I've emailed today to request an update on my order and when it's likely to arrive.

My lot took 5 days but with no weekend in between.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dean
    Sorties Flown

My lot took 5 days but with no weekend in between.
    Rob.
    I was going to leave it till friday (2-7 day delivery) but seeing as yours are likely to arrive by the weekend as stated above I'm hoping mine arrive tomorrow....

NeilCFord

I seem to remember ordering my premium sleeves on a Monday and receiving the package on a Thursday. I may just have been lucky of course.

- Neil.

My sleeves took 2 days to arrive.I must be one of the lucky ones like Neil.

BoardGameExtras

Default sleeves dlay

Hi Dean, thanks for your email, while I have just replied direct to your email, I am also posting on here incase anyone else is experiencing a slight delay.
    We moved to a bigger storage facility last week and as with all things the move took a bit longer than planned and got combined with a higher than normal volume of orders.
    We sent your sleeves out today by 1st class post and they should arrive tomorrow just within the 3-7 days for delivery we ask people to allow.

thank you for your patience,

Andrew Wood
    BoardGameExtras

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dean
    Sorties Flown

No problem.

As said I was going to give it till Friday before contacting you, but seeing as others had been given a rough date I thought mine may have been overlooked somehow.

Thank you for the VERY quick response.

I am considering going the sleeve route -- how serendipitous this thread was started. Ok, so I just bought WoW Deluxe Edition, Dawn of War Deluxe Edition, and Balloon Busters. Anyone have any idea how many cards this totals and therefore how many sleeves I should consider buying? Conversely, is there a list out there that I missed that totals the cards in the box sets?

Thanks!

KW

Commizzar

Cool Yup

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    I am considering going the sleeve route -- how serendipitous this thread was started. Ok, so I just bought WoW Deluxe Edition, Dawn of War Deluxe Edition, and Balloon Busters. Anyone have any idea how many cards this totals and therefore how many sleeves I should consider buying? Conversely, is there a list out there that I missed that totals the cards in the box sets?

Thanks!

KW
    Mayday games breaks the box sets down as to how many sleeves you need.
    enjoy!!

Anyone have any idea how many cards this totals and therefore how many sleeves I should consider buying? Conversely, is there a list out there that I missed that totals the cards in the box sets?

Thanks!

KW
    If you look at the bottom right of each deck, the total number is listed there.

That's handy -- thanks Colonel!

I got a couple of the FFG packs for the aircraft cards. I noticed they were getting little scratches or nail impressions when folks had to move them on the table, now they don't. I like them and would buy more if and when I needed more.

Henry

Tomorrow I'm going for sleeves. I've seen the wear on similar cards from a dozen or so games and that's enough to convince me to take precautions. The WoW cards are SO nice I'd hate to beat them up.

As a rule of thumb, you get about 22-24 cards in a manoeuvre deck. So one pack of 100 cards will do four decks and four aircraft. for W.oW. the damage decks are A deck 35, B 44, C 17, and D 8. Then you may want a few for ground targets etc, and remember all those new planes due out any day now. I think that somewhere on the site are lists of what comes in each box if you don't already know, or look at Merlin Dex's site. I'm sure he did a list of all the sets. I will try to locate what we have here for you.
    Rob .

Danke Rob!
    No problem. In the files section under official wings of war releases is a list of the contents of each boxed set. This may help.
    Rob.

Yes I have used these sleeves (Fantasy Flight)
    They work quite well, and stay clear. I do not use them on the damage cards because it makes the deck unrulely, they are too slippery and don't like to stay stacked. I only use them on the manuever cards. I have found that the corners of the sleeves snag on certain surfaces, like felt but it really is not much of a problem. One other benifit will be that you can mark the back of the sleeves to help keep cards from the same kind of deck from getting mixed up. I give them a thumbs up!

I've got the sleeves, but haven't used them yet. After someone bent one of my cards at a game though, I will be putting them on sooner rather than later.

One other benifit will be that you can mark the back of the sleeves to help keep cards from the same kind of deck from getting mixed up. I give them a thumbs up![/QUOTE]

What a good idea. I will take this under advice. Thanks!
    Rob.

The Mayday mini-Euro sleeves have a great fit on the cards. I'm just starting to play with them on the cards and they work fine so far. You can get the cards in the US on Amazon and if you have Amazon Prime they qualify for free shipping. I got them for $1.75 at one shop and $2.00 at another so the price is very reasonable, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Anybody Use One Card?
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 08:49
  2. Bomber Card Question
    By Kwakelee in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 07:12
  3. card packs are they necessary?
    By wirrakee in forum WGF: General Discussions