Ares Games

Thread: My custom boards

Default My custom boards

I decided to make my own boards. I think the ones provided with the game are not really bad, however they could be better.

WoW WWI - too large
    WoW WWII - the only one i like but it has too much of an unexploited potential
    WoG R&A WWI - it makes you feel it is smaller, but it is too large, and you can't move it around the table; also the paper quality is bad
    WoG R&A WWII - you can't move it around AND the guy who designed it is probably not a die hard fan of WWII - you wanna slip the maneuver card straight from the position 2 to the position 1, you don't want to lift it and carry it over the hurdle type divider in between.

Also, none of the boards make use of a simple printed counter, and so they let us operate with piles of game tokens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview-cockpits-ww2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	355.3 KB 
ID:	313715

2022 Update: Here is a link to the whole bundle.
    https://ulozto.cz/tamhle/ZA7CdeZdymi...ETZRcXMJEzLj==

There are jpeg and tiff files. Tiffs are large, but uncompressed. Jpegs are smaller as they use compression but, you will hardly notice unles you have the right kind of OCD.
    Last edited by Lino22; 04-19-2022 at 02:23.

Jan you have done a fantastic job with these. I have a pile of official boards but I will be definitely printing these up.

Well done that man!

Wonderful artwork, Jan.

These boards look awesome.

I will not only get the boards printed, but also send you a bit of kudos for this work Jan.
    Rob.

Guys thank you very much, i see i should release those small types here as well. However they look really good on the mouse pad. .

The tight types were added for download to the bottom of the first article.

Well done, Jan. Your input to the game is much appreciated.

Nicely done Jan, when I did some myself years ago it was always a project in motion, too small, too large, more info, less info. Just to try and get the right feeling. 3 years later and I'm back to square 1 using the materials from the game. Its always a full circle, or seems so.

Thanks Scafloc, i had been gathering my feelings about what i need on the board for few months, then i spend one week designing and re-designing, had it tested by the others, had two mouse pad prints done, then i let it sit for a month and then i put it here . No hasty business, haha, and i usually incline to shoot from my hips...

Very nice Jan! Any plans for a WWI themed one?

I was thinking about it and it will happen as soon as i have a while to fiddle about . The thing is, that the damage cars take too much space, so i may just leave them next to the board with icons showing where they are supposed to be placed. Or so.
    Last edited by Lino22; 05-10-2013 at 08:45.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Love what you did! Any chance you might come out with other fighter specific cockpits? Love the Spitfire and 109 but it would be cool to have a few of the others.

Here is a new thing for He 111. The side gunner tokens are now placed on the sides of the fuselage, so people can better see what gun is manned

Attachment 108938

Yet another innovation from the Master to help the hard of thinking like me.
    Rob.

Haha, thank you Rob, it actually serves me the same way. I tend to get confused.
    The next thing will be a real He111-H3, with just 5 guns and limited angle for the top gun. I am working on an universal bomber base and such. I want to use a plexi sandwich with a changeable transparent foil slipped in between. This will finally be a BoB Heinkel i always wanted.

Nice work, Jan.

I have one of the Bf 109 cockpits from the designer since Prague Summer Con 2013.

Hey all, I realize I am coming late for the party but all download links seem to be busted. Would appreciate if someone could point me to working links : )

Hi Alex and firstly welcome to the Drome.
    Those links were posted in 2013 before we had the great hack. You will find quite a lot of pictures from that era are compromised.
    Not sure if any members still have copies? They may post them for you if they do.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

PM Honza he might still have those images.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Alex, thank you for bringing this up, i almost forgot about it. I am the OP (then Lino22). If i remember well, i had to delete the files after the forum had changed their policy overnight a long time ago and i was left with no space. I will put all the boards i have ever made in one massive zip and upload it to the local sharing server. Then i put the old Lino22 shoes on and put the link in the first post.

Done did it.

Confirm these boards are well designed - we use them for a very long time in Prague Flight.

Guys, thanks for the warm welcomes and for the help. Really appreciated. I had my first battle yesterday using the Battle of Britain starter set and we had a blast. Looking forward to use this beautiful boards going forward

Glad we got it sorted for you Alex.
    Have fun, and don't forget to post some pictures of your games. We all love to see them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Game Boards - London
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 16:07
  2. Battle of Britain Game Boards
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 16:53
  3. Game Boards, Dumb Question
    By Super Handley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10