Ares Games
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Series 6 and 7 Miniatures

And yet another free advertisement for the shapeways folks
    And the problem with that is what, exactly? The modellers here who have developed and uploaded so many fine models have done a fantastic job in helping to keep the game alive.

Shapeways, Skytrex, Reviresco, et al may not be 'official' products, but what they have done is generate and maintain interest and enthusiasm in a game that has atrophied over the past year, and helped to introduce people to many new aircraft types that otherwise may never have seen the light of day in 1/144 scale. For that, we should all be grateful.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 06-17-2012 at 14:02. Reason: sp

I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    What they said.
    I second that!
    However what we get in Series 6 & 7 is up to ARES I know they lissen to what we say but when it all boils down, some members will be happy with the choise's they make some will not. When the final announcement is made I expect there will be a lot of "oh they should have made this instead of the......" posts. Let us remember the situation this time last year

I'll fourth it, or whatever, though I suppose it should come as no surprise. Obviously, I'd be more than happy to buy more Ares stuff, but I'm not going to sit around waiting for them if I have the ability to make things for myself, be it scratch-built or Reviresco or Skytrex or Shapeways. The planes call to me, and I must have them.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Wow -- no wonder everyone complains about them; not one of those propellers is correctly placed.
    Maybe they only have reverse gear, Chris....
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Skytrex do

Although the corrugated iron wings could do with toning down a bit
    David Manley, As much as I don't care for Skytrex kits,If I get the chance to buy one of these then I will.
    Thanks for the info.& pic.

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Shapeways, Skytrex, Reverisco, et al may not be 'official' products, but what they have done is generate and maintain interest and enthusiasm in a game that has atrophied over the past year, and helped to introduce people to many new aircraft types that otherwise may never have seen the light of day in 1/144 scale. For that, we should all be grateful.
    Baldrick62, Thats a Big Ditto. There wouldn't be that many planes to game with. I didn't start collecting when all these planes came out. I missed all the early series, and if you find them now,their expensive. Plus WoW don't make everything that the other companies make, so I'm very glad there available,besides, I like building and painting them.
    My .3 cents.

Fabric Flyer

I'm kicking this back up....now that Series 1 repaints are about to hit, when will series 6 be out? And what is the final line up going to be?

By all accounts the final line-up of Series VI is Sopwith Triplane, Aviatik D.I, Hanriot HD1, and the Siemens Schuckert D.III. I thought I read somewhere they are due out in the Spring/Summer of 2013.

I am sure that on here somewhere is a link to the pictures of the pre release mock ups.
    Rob.

Hopefully before summer!! Great set. I would have perferred the SPAD 7 also but the Tripe is good for me. I already have alot of SPAD 7's from F-toys.

Now that series six is virtually all done and dusted, the next question in my mind is what the exact makeup of series 7 will be.
    All I have in my notebook thus far is the Bristol F2b and a cryptic note that says CI. II.
    Anyone any advances on that?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    By all accounts the final line-up of Series VI is Sopwith Triplane, Aviatik D.I, Hanriot HD1, and the Siemens Schuckert D.III. I thought I read somewhere they are due out in the Spring/Summer of 2013.
    With a pinch of salt my friend... always with a pinch of salt Nice line-up though.

I hope ARES can keep to some sort schedual. Repaints and duel packs were due in Nov. Then back to Dec and since tomorrow is the end of Dec I guess Jan is the release. The WWII series is due in Feb and hope it makes that date. I did see where the planes are in the states but not out to distribuitors. I think ARES should hold back the release dates until they are sure they will be on the shelves. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I think ARES should hold back the release dates until they are sure they will be on the shelves. Just a thought.
    I will raise a glass to that. How did you receive my thoughts so accurately from thousands of miles away? lol

I hope ARES can keep to some sort schedual. Repaints and duel packs were due in Nov. Then back to Dec and since tomorrow is the end of Dec I guess Jan is the release. The WWII series is due in Feb and hope it makes that date. I did see where the planes are in the states but not out to distribuitors. I think ARES should hold back the release dates until they are sure they will be on the shelves. Just a thought.
    That echoes my feelings exactly. There were also some detail issues with the Series 6 prototypes that undoubtedly pushed back the timeline for release.

I agree with all of the above comments regarding Ares games release schedule.

Kharas1

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    I will raise a glass to that. How did you receive my thoughts so accurately from thousands of miles away? lol
    Unfortunately Ares are similar to many other gaming businesses in that their release dates are more a basis for negotiation than a firm commitment. Just what do they mean by the dates they quote? Is this the date it is shipped from where it is produced because if so this means nothing to us as purchasers, our interest lies in having the date that the product actually arrives in stores and I ssupect this is difficult to do with real accuracy as factors beyond their control then come into play such as customs clearance. However a realistic view in terms of published dates would be nice although I don't hold out any real hope of it happening.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think they should let the repaints come out and since Series IV is due out in Feb (?) hold off on any release dates after that. Get the models build and shipped and put that they were shipped. After that try for a release every 3 to 4 months which would be a new release 3 to 4 times a year. I know we all love the models but if they slow down it will not flood the market and slow down sales. I don't think most people can afford to buy a whole set every month or even every other month.

Hey, speak for yourself, Bob! I think the only danger we are in for flooding the market is if they repeat the poor choice in pairing slow-selling 2 seaters with popular scouts! The only thing that is going to clog the pegs is 2 seaters (excluding probably the bristol) and certain unpopular scouts (like the Snipe). Keeping the popular stuff (Camels, Dr.I's & VII's, SPADS, Albatros's) coming by refreshing the paint schemes every 6 months rather than every 2 years will do more to push sales than pumping out new, but less sexy 2 seaters.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Keeping the popular stuff (Camels, Dr.I's & VII's, SPADS, Albatros's) coming by refreshing the paint schemes every 6 months rather than every 2 years will do more to push sales than pumping out new, but less sexy 2 seaters.
    Heck I don't care if they are reprints or not, just so long as I am able to buy a plane at a reasonable price whenever I want. (Just try and find a D.VII for less than $50USD these days. )

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    Heck I don't care if they are reprints or not, just so long as I am able to buy a plane at a reasonable price whenever I want. (Just try and find a D.VII for less than $50USD these days. )
    hear hear

Repaints would be great. With the planes that are already out the repints (for us non talanted) woud be great. Just look at your Osprey books and there are so many they could repaint. They could come up with a schedual and keep the planes flowing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Repaints would be great. With the planes that are already out the repints (for us non talanted) woud be great. Just look at your Osprey books and there are so many they could repaint. They could come up with a schedual and keep the planes flowing.
    They could, and there has been a little nugget of news elsewhere on the forum that ARES are looking at how they might add additional planes into the release schedule. We have no idea in what from this might be, for example it could be odd one-offs or special sets, we just don't know. Fingers crossed. At the moment I feel the biggest issue is just getting enough stocks on the shelves. I suspect that by the time the reprints of Series One hit the UK market that they'd have been out for a month or two in the US and what precious little stock that arrives in the UK will be sold out very quickly, ie within weeks if not days, such is the pent-up demand.

Checked the ARES site today and they say the repaints will be on the shelves 14 Jan so only a few weeks. I have to see how my preorder goes with 12-7 since I did a preorder on the Dec releases, repaints and duel packs, and now the duel packs have been pushed to Feb. Lesson learned ONE PREORDER at a time.

Lesson learned ONE PREORDER at a time.
    I'm hoping ARES is learning lessons, too!

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I'm hoping ARES is learning lessons, too!
    Aye, hopefully the guy from nexus who was doing these business transactions with china, isn't the same guy Ares has. That should be a termination notice coming real soon if so.

Kadett

My gues is that Ares is working with the same chinese manufacturers, so they are getting the same problems Nexus had....

Have to agree with Brian. Hope they learn not to put out a date and then push it back for 1-2 then 3 months. Isaw how people are getting frustrated because of the release date and then preorder and have to wait (as I have).

Yes, but with no "soft" dates from Ares, we'll all be on here complaining that we don't know when the next minis are coming out. lol

How about they say:

Series in production
    Ready to ship
    Distroubation date

That show three part of the production process and not a specific date.

Being a branch, warehouse, production, operations and purchasing manager(including merchandise from the Orient) since 1969, it seems to me that the Ares staff is inexperienced. No one appears to be held accountable for follow up, follow up and follow up with the manufacturer and their suppliers, not to mention logistics etc. I think they need to take a hard look at their personnel.
    I might regret saying this later, but not now.

how bout an all metal Junkers? Sure it's late war, but. . . .

Come to think of it--Ares would make a killing if they offered the planes unpainted with stand and cards. That would satisfy tons of folks!!!!

The Series 5 release was pushed back about 4 months, now the repaint release has been pushed back 3 months, I'd say Ares is making progress!

I think we all need to remember that our beloved Ares is not the only game company to have deadline issues... far from it in fact. Even "experienced" companies like Fantasy Flight Games have these same delays.

And as somaliavet points out, they are making progress!

I am thankful for the creators, visionaries and soldiers who have each in their times and in their ways did the best they could for a greater cause than themselves and for all those just now picking up the cause which is far greater than any one person. May the game go on! What's a few deadlines when dreams can fly . . . . thanks to all of you, even the crabby ones! : )

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I am thankful for the creators, visionaries and soldiers who have each in their times and in their ways did the best they could for a greater cause than themselves and for all those just now picking up the cause which is far greater than any one person. May the game go on! What's a few deadlines when dreams can fly . . . . thanks to all of you, even the crabby ones! : )
    Well said David.
    Rob.

[QUOTE= even the crabby ones! : )[/QUOTE]

I resent that remark. I don't deny it, but I resent it.

I knew I would regret expressing my feelings.
    We all have that right, even though most people are afraid to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Grubs View Post
    Come to think of it--Ares would make a killing if they offered the planes unpainted with stand and cards. That would satisfy tons of folks!!!!
    That thought had occurred to me too. They could sell the painted regular releases retail, online, etc. Then offer unpainted direct for hobbyists to do repaints? Best of both worlds IMO.

That is a good idea and hopefully a little cheaper too. It's much easier to paint an unpainted model than to paint over a painted one. I would buy.

Maybe start a poll to find out who would buy, and how many.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    That is a good idea and hopefully a little cheaper too. It's much easier to paint an unpainted model than to paint over a painted one. I would buy.

Maybe start a poll to find out who would buy, and how many.

Poll might be interesting on this one. Something I've suggested in the past is packs of sprues to make five planes of one type. You'd need to either stick the wheels on or supply your own wire for the axle. I'm less bothered about assembled unpainted though and can't see the profitability for ARES on that one. Assembly must be the expensive or at least the slowest part of the production process then they can't charge the full whack as it's unpainted.

I don't want to paint assembled models I want the basic parts to paint (and decal in some instances) before I assemble them. I'd say aim at the Plastic Soldier Company price model so a box of parts to assemble five planes for Ł15 – Ł18. I think they would do well and since they have the tooling I guess the decision for ARES is: would it eat into their sales of assembled models? I'd even buy loose bags of random sprues were they available, say like the F-Toys box sets: a bag of ten randomly selected sprues would presumably be dead cheap for ARES to pack and sell. We'd have fun swapping out our spares and making up our own squadrons.

Hey repaints out in 2 weeks. 14 Jan is not far away since Nov and Dec has passed.

Un-painted would be great, kit form would be better,just a thought...

Now that the "repaints" series is out (which personally I think are fantastic, despite some adverse comments on the forum about quality?), does anyone know when series 6 is due? Also any hint of the colour schemes of the proposed planes?

Ares website says the Series 6 aircraft will be released for MAY 2013.

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Quote Originally Posted by Rick57 View Post
    Ares website says the Series 6 aircraft will be released for MAY 2013.

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

"and they said we'd be home by Christmas....."
    Karl (not pessimistic, just experienced)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Wings of War series 5 miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 17:24
  2. WGS: Series 3 Miniatures
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 10:18
  3. WGF: Series 4 Miniatures