Ares Games

Thread: Flying with new players

Sparkomatic

Red face Flying with new players

Howdy Everyone, need some advice.
    I just received my copy of Famous Aces. I have limited experience with the game but a life long intrest in avation. My 11 yr. old son (very intrested in wargames - memoir '44 player) and wife (non-wargamer) are both intrested in playing. What should we do. I'm thinking that I should start off flying 2 planes and they each fly one. Which planes should they fly so they have the best chance of sucess. I want to have them maintain their intrest in playing. I'm also thinking of taking out the explosion cards from the damage deck. Any advice would be helpful.

It's a good idea to take out the explosion cards when introducing players to the game. It might even be worth ignoring the special damage results completely until they've got the basics down.

I'd suggest getting a pair of Albatros fighters for yourself and Camels for your rookie pilots if you want to give them an advantage (the Camel is much more manoeuverable). If they'd prefer the Central Powers side, give them Fokker DVIIs against SPAD XIIIs (DVIIs are very agile, SPADs are all about speed).

Von Deekin

Howdy, California! Wisconsin here.
    FIrst of all, with any newbie pilots I always remove the explosion cards. After all, if you want to keep them interested you don't want to see them shot down after the very first volley! The other thing I like to do is get them, (the newbies), into a historical battle, something that they might be able to relate to, ie; The Red Baron. (everyone's heard of him!) Give them a short amount of historical background & then let the battle begin. Also helps if you set the mood, ie; aerial sound effects playing in the backround.
    If you're going to play two aircraft make sure theirs are a superior 'bird' versus the ones your flying.
    Dozens of other ideas for you, but, try these first & let me know how it works.
    Later,
    Von Deekin

Let them fly a pair of Dr.I's against your lone Camel. Having the Red Baron out there and mentioning Snoopy and his Camel makes it easier for non gamers and kids to relate... it's kind of funny and having fun on their first couple of games is what it is all about!

It is all to easy for someone flying to plane to get the upper hand since their moves are so well coordinated (even if you try not too), even if they are "lesser" planes.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

2 newbies vs one old hand in an inferior plane. Let them have a huge advantage the first few games to get them hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    2 newbies vs one old hand in an inferior plane. Let them have a huge advantage the first few games to get them hooked.
    Not *too* huge; otherwise they think you're being patronizing. (Had someone say that to my face a while back.... :| )

[QUOTE=Von Deekin;16319]Howdy, California! Wisconsin here.
    The Red Baron. (everyone's heard of him!) Give them a short amount of historical background & then let the battle begin. Also helps if you set the mood, ie; aerial sound effects playing in the backround.

Have a look at this link. HTTP://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Mkf1fUTAk
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-04-2010 at 02:01.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I agree about leaving out the explosion card and probably collisions but other than that use all the rules. I've run convention games for 2 years now and after the 1st couple of turns everyone (including children) seems to have the game down. I think its this site (might be the nexus) that has a download that has the turn sequence and the special damage symbols and explanations all on 1 sheet. I use them at every game and they keep people from disappearing into the rulebook.

As far as what planes, I think the colonel has it right.

Pooh

Kris - I have to agree with the Col on this one 2 v 1 - tho I would switch it to you being the Baron and them being in the Camels....They'll enjoy ganging up on you and you'll enjoy trying to give them the slip !
    oh yeah, always watch the kids... first couple of games I played with my daughter (now18) she ran me very close in a similar engagement... they 're merciless !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

From one NEWBIE to another, i have sigle piece of advice: MINIATURES. My 11-year-old daughter will on play if we use miniatures. Kahlerclan brought over some of his and we played and she liked the Ellwood camel because of the hearts design. Needless to say, I now own that one. My recommendation is if you want to go the miniature route, have the family each pick one. Here is a link to a scribd list that has them pictured by set.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/12777414/W...dels-Series-13
    I think there is also a really good file on the site that has the pictures of each miniature with photos of their pilots and a short history.

Have fun,

Timmy

Yep, we have a really good file for the miniatures right here.

Similar Missions

1. Do other players allow respawning of planes?
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 06:55
  2. players personal cards
    By Leuchtturm in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 06:31
  3. Site: New backgrounds for the WWII players
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 09:10