Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WWI Aviation Books

Just reading " Malaula" Battle cry of jasta 17, well worth a purchase,also just ordered Aircraft of World War I 1914-1918 (Essential Aircraft Identification Guide) .

Hello gents, could anyone tell me a decent, reasonably priced "bumper book of WW1 aircraft with loads of colour prints and suchlike"...
    Preferrable available in old blighty, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

cheer's,

Gaz...

Gaz, you could try:-

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...ar-I-1914-1918

It is an excellent volume.

John.

I will second that. As a starter book it is packed with facts and information not found in many other books. It is usually my first port of call when starting a new project. The one draw back is that all the pictures are in profile, but I would not let that put you off, as a trawl through Google can soon flesh it out
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The one draw back is that all the pictures are in profile, but I would not let that put you off, as a trawl through Google can soon flesh it out
    Rob.
    Yes Gaz, I forgot to mention that minor problem. Thanks Rob.
    John,

Lo Gaz, I posted I had ordered it in the post prior to yours since then it has arrived and it's a must buy.Full of details and colour prints you wont be disappointed, mine also was from the book depository first class service.

Nick

Thanks for the quick reply chaps...

Will order it today.

Just ordered Hart's "Aces Falling" as well as "Bloody April" tonite....anxiously awaiting delivery!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Just ordered Hart's "Aces Falling" as well as "Bloody April" tonite....anxiously awaiting delivery!
    Both are well worth the time and money. I like the way he lets the pilots speak for themselves.

Just to add my comment, and say what a fantastic thread, and a most impressive book list.

Thanks Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Both are well worth the time and money. I like the way he lets the pilots speak for themselves.
    I will endorse that Greg. Two of my favourite reads. He gets right under the skin of the pilots. Its almost as though they are in the same room talking to you across the table.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Agreed, they are both excellent books along with:
    Malaula,
    Cavalry of the Clouds,
    War over the trenches.
    Red Baron
    On a wing and a prayer (some very funny anicdotes, especially the one about Albert Ball)

I must say that I've enjoyed all of them so far and hope tp add a few more to my collection at crimbo (well I've made enough hints to the base commander and the cadets - lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlerclan View Post
    I really enjoyed Kilduff's book. It was interesting to see Degelow's view of the war from one of the not elite Jastas. Kilduff's research was very well done and I'm very impressed with Degelow, the man, as a leader. EXCELLENT READ.
    Have you purchased his latest "Herman Goring--Fighter Ace"
    Wonderful insight into Goring's complex charactor. You see all the signs of what he was to become but would never have imagined just how far they would take him.
    IMHO anything by Peter Killduff, Alex Revell & Peter Hart are First Class!

I've mentioned this book in an other thread but I think it deserves a spot on the list :

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...st-world-war-I
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 01-16-2011 at 15:20. Reason: typo...again

Thanks for compiling this list guys, can anyone recommend a book or two from the pilots perspective, like a war diary type thing, preferably with a British or German viewpoint, im more interested in the day to day life of a WW1 fighter pilot than the technical issues.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Cecil Lewis' "Sagittarius Rising" is probably the classic British pilots' account, while Von Richthofen's book can be found free online, as can Eddie Rickenbacker's. It's difficult to find more "journeyman" pilots' accounts, as it was difficult to last long enough for memoirs without proving to be an ace in the meantime unfortunately.... There are several books by Handley-Page crews knocking around, certainly way out of proportion to the numbers, so I guess they were a bit longer-lived in general....

Dom.

English translation of Der Rote Flieger: http://www.richthofen.com/
    Rickenbacker's Fighting The Flying Circus: http://www.richthofen.com/rickenbacker/
    Last edited by Dom S; 02-08-2011 at 07:02. Reason: Wrong Cecil....

Thanks Dom, i have read the Red Barons book and thats the sort of thing i am after, following your recommendation (and as it was less than Ł5.00) i have ordered Sagittarius Rising from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Thanks Dom, i have read the Red Barons book and thats the sort of thing i am after, following your recommendation (and as it was less than Ł5.00) i have ordered Sagittarius Rising from Amazon.
    Good call. It is one of my favourites too.
    Rob.

My favorite book is French Aircraft of the First World War by Dr. James J. Daville and Arthur M. Soltan. Its huge. I'm a lucky father whose daughter gave it to him for Christmas.

I would assume all or most of you fellows know about these mags. Cross & Cockade and Over the Front. Both are very good historical mags. about WW1.

thanks for the recommendation of Sagittarius Rising, im about 100 pages in and am loving it so far, its perfect for beginners with an interest like myself.

Regarding Peter Hart's 'Bloody April' and 'Aces Falling' - don't forget 'Somme Success' which precedes the two others. Superb author with a great style - and most importantly he hammers home the fact that as glamorous as the single seat scouts are, the most important role of the RFC was the Observation for the artillery and Photographic missions

Does anyone own the Bob Pearson CD of WWI planes? He is the co-author of the Aircraft of World War I: 1914-1918 book that everyone likes. I know I would love nothing more than one giant book of the 2000+ profiles that are on his CD, and am wondering if he would ever think about getting a deal to publish them in book form at some point? The current book of only a few hundred profiles seems to be always sold out, so I'd think a 1 or 2 volume set of *everything* he has done would be a even bigger hit.

greenalfonzo: Is this the CD you are talking about? http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/CDv2/index.htm

Have a look at this thread Kev.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ht=bob+pearson

Rob.

Thanks for the replies, Gents! For those of you in contact with Bob, is there any chance he is working on an "ultimate profiles book" version of work in print? I'd love to be able to get all of his work in book form, and I'm sure it would be a smash hit.

Came across an author new to me today.Pat Cunningham! I picked up his book "The Great Disservice". It is the last of four novels about a pilot in the R.F.C. The other three books are The Infinite Reaches, Contact Patrol, and Sold a Pup. Have any of you read any of his work. I believe he also wrote some WW2 novels.
    Carrying on the point about the silly prices of WoW planes for sale. These books are on Amazon for about Ł8.00 except Sold a Pup. A used copy of this is marked up at Ł99. Lmao.
    My book cost Ł3 so I guess I'll never get to know how it started unless I get it from the local library.
    Rob.

Default New Alex revell Book due out end of August!

G'day Chaps. A new book by Alex Revell titled "Fall of Eagles-- the Evolution of Air Warfare in WW1" is due to be released at the End of August.
    Knowing how good Alex's other offerings have been this should be excellent & an interesting topic as well.
    Amazon USA have a pre-order offer on it at present.

Exclamation

G'day all! Further to my last post I received an Email from Alex Revell via another WW1 Histiry Forum after I gave this Heads Up over there & Alex tells me that the description "the Evolution of Air warefare" is an incorrect statement from the Publishers & he has requested them to remove it before publication. It will apparently be the telling of many Dogfights & Airial battles.

Thanks for the added info Barry. That makes a whole lot of difference at least to my attitude to obtaining the book. i have plenty on the evolution of air warfare, but you can never have enough books on Dogfights.
    Rob.

Two interesting books in english from an italian publisher about WWI US Army pilots in Italy:

Edward Davis Lewis,
    Dear Bert, An American pilot flying in World War I Italy
    (In english) LoGisma 2002. 192 p., ill., 28x21 ISBN 88-87621-20-9 - Euro 15,00
    GeorgeM.D. Lewis was one of 400 American pilots trained at Foggia, Italy, in 1917-18,under Capt. Fiorello H. LaGuardia. In July 1918, he copiloted the first American flight across the Alps. During service and travels in Italy and Francehe encountered personalities of the time, inlcuding Gianni Caproni, Luigi Rizzoand Ernest Hemingway. Lewis’ photographs, dated journal entries, and excerpts from his letters to his sweet heart, Bert Harsch, shed new light on the glamorous era of World War I aviation.

Jack B. Hilliard
    CAPRONIs, FARMANs and SIAs, U.S.Army aviation training and combatin Italy with Fiorello LaGuardia, 1917-1918
    (In english) LoGisma,2006. 616 p., ill., 17x24 - ISBN 88-87621-60-8 - Euro 27,00
    When the United States entered the First World War its military aviation was unprepared for the immediate requirements for pilots. This book is about one of the American cadetdetachments that were sent over Europe for flight training and combat against the Central Powers. The diaries and letters from Italy of these fresh graduates from the best of nation’s universities tell us about a mostly unknown part of that war’s history.

Grazie mille Attilio.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    I found this about the Russian Military Air Fleet. AFAIK this are the most in dept sources about this topic.

The Russian Military Air Fleet in World War I: Chronology, 1910-1917 v. 1

The Russian Military Air Fleet in World War I: Victories, Losses, Awards v. 2
    Neat books Daniel, but a bit rich for my pocket i'm afraid.
    Rob.

Oh joy,oh rapture! Today I recieved through the post Captain Ball V.C. by W. Briscoe and H.R. Stannard c.1918. This elusive book finally completes my collection of all the books written about Albert Ball.
    I'm just going out. I may be some time.
    Rob.

Well done, Rob!

I know Ball is your favourite ace so I can only image how happy you are .

Attilio

As much as i love the Osprey books about WWI aviation one things bugs me: Nothing...NOTHING about two-seaters. After all observation was the original field of operations for aircrafts until air-to-air battles broke out and single-seaters were developed to hunt two-seaters.
    So does anyone know about a good book which details the two-seaters of all participants of WWI?

As much as i love the Osprey books about WWI aviation one things bugs me: Nothing...NOTHING about two-seaters. After all observation was the original field of operations for aircrafts until air-to-air battles broke out and single-seaters were developed to hunt two-seaters.
    So does anyone know about a good book which details the two-seaters of all participants of WWI?
    Must be great minds thinking alike Daniel, or is it that the Herr Oberst's latest repaint challenge has helped to concentrate the mind. Only yesterday I was looking for source material and realised that the only book I had on Allied two seaters was the Bristol Fighter one. This needs addressing by Osprey, PDQ.
    Rob.

Yes and the Bristol Fighter is a fighter. I wan't to read about German C-Types, BE2, RE8, DH4, Breguet BR.14, etc.

Have spotted this book in Waterstone I think its Ł21 on Amazon
    I think it gives a list of aircraft used for reconnaissance by Britain, France and the US
    Havn't read it myself (yet)

Shooting the Front: Allied Aerial Reconnaissance in the Great War by Terrence Finnegan

ISBN 9781844256648

Synopsis
    Terry Finnegan examines the impact of aerial photography on the air forces of Britain, France and the US above the Western Front in this pioneering new work. His comprehensive history gives an authoritative account of aerial reconnaissance and the interpretation of photographs as they evolved into the most important sources of intelligence along the entire Western Front during the First World War. This magnificent book includes a wealth of images, many never before published, which help the reader to relive the dangerous but exhilarating experience of aerial observation during the First World War

48,99€ on Amazon.de. But we have to wait until the end of January 2012 when it is published.

Strange I have seen it in shops in the UK very recently.
    Don
    48,99€ on Amazon.de. But we have to wait until the end of January 2012 when it is published.

rotundor

Any recommendations for books that provide a summary of Canadian pilots and actions during the Great War? (Understanding of course that they were flying under the RAF.)
    I'd like to get a summary before delving deeper into specific pilots.

I'm thinking along the lines of Tim Cook's "At the Sharp End" and "Shock Troops".

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    For those that would like an html web page to look at:

Look here!
    Oberst:
    Broken Link.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I am not sure if this is to be considered a book, as it only has 58 pages, nevertheless, it is an interesting resource on Austro-Hungarian Air Force, including some photos of pilots and some paint schemes:

http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories...ungary-ww1.pdf

All useful stuff to those of us who have a need for the information. Thanks.
    Rob.

After the hack attack, I have now mended this book list.
    Enjoy.

Rob.

Well done Rob. Thanks. John.

gooberau

Just finished "Unknown Warrior" by Mike Rosel, about Australian pilot Robert Little. Solid read ... only 100 pages or so. It read like it required another round or two of editing.

Quote Originally Posted by gooberau View Post
    Just finished "Unknown Warrior" by Mike Rosel, about Australian pilot Robert Little. Solid read ... only 100 pages or so. It read like it required another round or two of editing.
    Why not review it in the Book reviews Doug.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Great WWII Aviation Books
    By kaufschtick in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 20:01
  2. Pandora's Books.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 01:33
  3. Aviation Background