Ares Games

Thread: Happy St. George's Day.

Default Happy St. George's Day.

A happy St George's Day to you all.

Drinks are on me in the Officers' Mess after the evening patrol.

Name:  St George..jpg
Views: 639
Size:  8.7 KB

And i thought George was a chaps name.
    Kyte.

Attachment 87494
    Attachment 87495
    As this is my regimental day I must apologise to one and all having been pipped to the post by Sqn Ldr Kyte. But I will take him up on the offer of the first round of drinks in the mess later.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-23-2013 at 03:12.

Must put the flag up !

Name:  St+George+-+British+by+birth,,+English+by+grace+of+god.jpg
Views: 9388
Size:  20.4 KB

And just to explain to those not understanding the reference - St Georges Day is the national day of England !
    Last edited by flash; 04-23-2013 at 01:06.

Happy St George's Day all - no picture, just a link to one of my favourite childhood memories - the Stan Freburg record St George and the Dragonet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkI3JZXhDjc

As an ex-pat Englishman a very long way from home, cheers all!

Happy St. George's Day to our English cousins! (Probably not a good day to be flying the von Hipple D.Va.)

Happy St George's Day chaps, see you all down the mess for a celebratory tipple.

Would have put pics of St G flag and a rousing utube chorus of "There'll always be an England" but am at work doing cvs ready for redeployment ! So it's just mess time

Yes, Happy St.George's Day, across the globe!

From Wiki: Saint George (c. 275/281 – 23 April 303 AD) was a Greek who became an officer in the Roman army. His father was the Greek Gerondios from Cappadocia Asia Minor and his mother was from the city Lydda. Lydda was a Greek city in Palestine from the times of the conquest of Alexander the Great (333 BC). Saint George became an officer in the Roman army in the Guard of Diocletian. He is venerated as a Christian martyr. In hagiography, Saint George is one of the most venerated saints in the Catholic (Western and Eastern Rites), Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, and the Oriental Orthodox churches. He is immortalized in the tale of Saint George and the Dragon and is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. His memorial is celebrated on 23 April, and he is regarded as one of the most prominent military saints.

Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Israel, Lithuania, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia.

The dragon often represents the devil so St George slaying the dragon could be interpreted as a triumph over evil. Before We took up the cry St George, we in England used to say 'For St Edmund', whom I believe came from Norfolk way.

Happy St.George's Day chaps!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Before We took up the cry St George, we in England used to say 'For St Edmund', whom I believe came from Norfolk way.
    Which is why there's Bury St.Edmunds.

Was he Bury-ied there?

The clue seems to be in the name! Actually reburied, but ...

From Wiki:

The name Bury is etymologically connected with borough, which has cognates in other Germanic languages such as the German "burg" meaning "fortress, castle"; Old Norse "borg" meaning "wall, castle"; and Gothic "baurgs" meaning "city". They all derive from Proto-Germanic *burgs meaning "fortress". This in turn derives from the Proto-Indo-European root *bhrgh meaning "fortified elevation", with cognates including Welsh bera ("stack") and Sanskrit bhrant- ("high, elevated building"). There is thus no justification for the folk etymology stating that the Cathedral Town was so called because St Edmund was buried there.

The second section of the name refers to Edmund King of the East Angles, who was killed by the Vikings in the year 869. He became venerated as a saint and a martyr, and his shrine made Bury St Edmunds an important place of pilgrimage.

The formal name of both the borough and the diocese is "St. Edmundsbury". Local residents often refer to Bury St Edmunds simply as "Bury".
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 04-23-2013 at 11:23. Reason: fact added to my earlier fiction, though it works well

A very happy St. George's day to one and all makes you proud to be English - just such a pity that there seems to be such a lack of national identity nowadays, far more focus on St. Patrick's day for instance (or is that just an excuse to drink too much Guinness, or actually is there such a thing as too much Guinness?)
    - Just wish he had an Englishman as our national saint - I like the idea of St. Edmund's day - shall we start a campaign to have it re-instated?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Just wish he had an Englishman as our national saint - I like the idea of St. Edmund's day - shall we start a campaign to have it re-instated?
    See if you can get a better result with a different flavour of government- The Bury St Edmunds MP David Ruffley had taken up the cause and helped deliver a large petition to the government in London. Prime Minister Tony Blair rejected the request, however their attempt was successful on another level, "St Edmund (was) named patron saint of Suffolk...the high point of a successful campaign which was launched by Breakfast show presenter Mark Murphy and producer Emily Fellows in the autumn of 2006".

Shame on me I had no idea about that Day and what it means for the English mates.
    Now I can make a cheerful toast to you all chaps and celebrate this day with you.
    From now on this date will be also my own happy day, simply because of the fact I have met fantastic Englishmen here
    Wishing you all the best and - most of all - happy flying
    Now to the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Just wish he had an Englishman as our national saint - I like the idea of St. Edmund's day - shall we start a campaign to have it re-instated?
    As I understand it a motion is already in hand to rectify this matter.

Name:  St Edmund..jpg
Views: 466
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  blackadder_archbishop_396x222.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  64.3 KB

Rob.

Yes, Happy St George's Day everyone and happy Shakespeare's birthday also.

Similar Missions

1. A day out at Fort George
    By Gaz67 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 03:53
  2. WoW/WoG Tournament in St. George, UT
    By rrodrick in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 18:04
  3. By George, Its Snowing on the Forum!
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11