Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings of Glory Aerodrome Sopwith Camel shirts

Default Wings of Glory Aerodrome Sopwith Camel shirts

Back when we started working on the new Aerodrome Fokker Dr.I shirt, I said that if there was enough interest in those shirts, that I would do a Sopwith Camel shirt next. Well, I have been working with the artist and here is are initial draft.

Please let me know what you think of it and if you see any glaring mistakes in the artwork (the guns are already on the revision list btw). We are going for a generic plane, so there will not be any numbers or personal markings on it. The plane would be on the back with the site logo on the front (just like the Dr.I shirts). The option to have your name on the sleeve will be offered again as well. I will most likely be doing these in the same colors as last time, unless you guys and gals would like something different this time.

I am also considering offering these in both Long Sleeve T-shirts and Polo shirts. I’m not sure on the pricing of either just yet.

For those of you that might have missed the Fokker Dr.I shirts, I still have some in stock (no option for putting your name on the sleeve at this point). Supplies are limited for color and sizes, so if youwant one, you should pick it up because I don't know when I'll be running these again (if at all).
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 05-05-2013 at 13:47.

Prefer the style of the Dr1 artwork - this seems a little too "filled in" if you get what I mean. Very nice though but should the cockpit be so far forward? Shirt colours were great btw, I'd do this in Olive this time round.

Looks good to me

I like it!!! It looks great!!! I would be in for one, maybe two!!!

I think my wife would go for a long-sleeve T, and I would go for either type of T. Polos are definitely desired. Any chance of a Central Power polo in the future?

Thanks for the work on these.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Prefer the style of the Dr1 artwork - this seems a little too "filled in" if you get what I mean. Very nice though but should the cockpit be so far forward? Shirt colours were great btw, I'd do this in Olive this time round.
    The cockpit position was the first thing that caught my eye. It appears to be way to far forward.

I'm in complete agreement with Flash on all points, in fact. Even the colour of the t-shirt. I will order as soon as you advise you're ready to accept them.

Mike

Style works for me (apart from cockpit position). I'm in for one.

The style is alright, but I agree, it doesn't say "Camel" to me.
    I'd probably be in for two, though.
    Karl

Well had to order my Dr1 last night since I saw they may not be printed again so had to get one. I guess next up is the Camel.

Can you elaborate on the decision to go white outline and fill with this image rather than a direct print of the black from the original pattern? I also think I prefer the style of the Dr.1 image. Either way, I'd likely buy one of these (since I already have 2 of the other).

When do we get a Hanriot shirt?

lets get this in production

Sorry guys, these will be done up like the Dr.I shirts. Light grey ink and not "filled" in like the first mock up pictured at the top. I had forgot in the Dr.I thread I edited the image for the mock ups. As you can see below, the Dr.I art and the new Camel art are very much alike:

The Camel is just a little cleaner, but each plane is always going to be slightly different as they are hand drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The style is alright, but I agree, it doesn't say "Camel" to me.
    I'd probably be in for two, though.
    Karl
    Karl, can you be more specific about “doesn’t say Camel to me” please?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Well had to order my Dr1 last night since I saw they may not be printed again so had to get one. I guess next up is the Camel.
    Bob, as I predicted, shirt sales have been very slow beyond the initial pre-orders. Unless that changes, I can’t foresee tying up the required funds to reprint these. However, I will not go so far as to say these have now become a limited edition product.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    When do we get a Hanriot shirt?
    We’ll see how the Camel shirts go and then start looking at what everyone would like for the next shirt to be.

And for those that think the cockpit looks to far forward, here is the photograph we are using to design this from:

Comparing the two, does it still look to far forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Actually, I really can't; maybe it's just at an angle I never saw the Camel at. Seeing the photo makes it look better, so probably a subliminal, subjective thing
    (or I was just being dense yesterday; not impossible as work's been particularly harsh this week, and I've had to edit my posts before submitting).
    Aerodrome handles on the sleeve again?
    Karl

Sorry guys, these will be done up like the Dr.I shirts. Light grey ink and not "filled" in like the first mock up pictured at the top.
    Even better.

How many do you need pre-ordered to print? I will order at least two. If long-sleeves are offered, at least three.

You mentioned you probably won't reprint Fokker Dr.1 T's, but any chance of Fokker Dr.1 or future Central Power models in long-sleeve T's or polos?

Aerodrome handles on the sleeve again?
    Karl
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Even better.

How many do you need pre-ordered to print? I will order at least two. If long-sleeves are offered, at least three.

You mentioned you probably won't reprint Fokker Dr.1 T's, but any chance of Fokker Dr.1 or future Central Power models in long-sleeve T's or polos?
    I have to see if the Polo shirts are going to count towards the overall count totals or if they have to be separate. Either way, I'll need 29 for at least the T-shirts. Having the option of long sleeves should help with that.

I'll also check to see if I can put some long sleeve Dr.I shirts on this run or if they have to be a completely separate order.

I'll continue to make shirts with different planes on them so long as you guys want them and purchase them. I don't see that lasting very long since a person only needs so many gaming shirts. I would personally like to do a Fokker D.VII as well.

I think that the cockpit is to far forward. Try Google images. The rear cabane strut should be at the front edge of the cockpit. I think the photo you are using is from the rise of flight game and they sometimes have bad renditions at some angles. I would be in for one.

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post
    I think that the cockpit is to far forward. Try Google images. The rear cabane strut should be at the front edge of the cockpit. I think the photo you are using is from the rise of flight game and they sometimes have bad renditions at some angles. I would be in for one.
    That is a photo of a flying replica down in New Zealand. A few more shots showing the that strut at the middle-ish part of the cockpit:

Same plane:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-22-9037301.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	87686

Photo of an original Camel:

Name:	300px-RAF_Sopwith_Camel.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	87687

I would personally like to do a Fokker D.VII as well.
    YES!
    Karl

Count me in for the Camel T shirt.

Not Karl, but: The distinctive feature of the camel is its hump, and that's not visible in the drawing.

IMHO you should fill in the center dot on the wing roundels.

If you go with the straight inverted image like you say, I think it will look smashing in green...

Name:	Camel.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	87691
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 04-25-2013 at 19:23.

Here is the list I gave the artist to revise next:

1. Put a little detail into the engine area, the large black area behind the prop.
    2. The area between the gun and the cockpit needs to be revised. There should be a "hump" from the back of the gun to the cockpit, this is where the plane got the name Camel from. I've attached a few images to show this area from different angles to give you a better idea of what it needs.
    3. There should be two guns. See the same attached photos.
    4. Add a little more detail to the wheel cover so it looks more cone shaped.
    5. Let's shade in the center dots on the wings, they should be darker then the middle circles and lighter then the outer ones.
    6. Match the circles on the side of the plane (half hidden by the wing) to those on the wings.
    7. Match the strips on the tail to those of the wing circles. The color photo I attached before should show you which should be what color.
    8. Add a little detail to the far tail so that it is not completely black and so that it does not blend in so much with the bottom of the fuselage.

I just updated the first post with new mockups of what this would look like on the colored shirts. I personally think it will look great on PC10.... I mean olive.

I just updated the first post with new mockups of what this would look like on the colored shirts. I personally think it will look great on PC10.... I mean olive.
    Interesting concept; I'll have to go with the "Black Flight";
    being a "winter", I don't look good in PC10

Much better; put me down for one of those.

I'd be in for a couple of these also. Would really like an aerodrome polo!

being a "winter", I don't look good in PC10 :p
    At least you look good in *something*.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    At least you look good in *something*.... :P
    Really, Chris, almost anyone looks good in basic black, well some better than others:

Name:	project-runway-645.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	87898

Karl

Really, Chris, almost anyone looks good in basic black, well some better than others:
    I look like a Mafia consigliere.

Actual Event: I was dragged into jury duty when I live din Omaha. I showed up in the one respectable outfit I owned -- black pinstriped double-breasted suit; wingtips; black fedora. I sat down and waited. After a time, I heard a voice behind me say "I wonder which Mafia family he's with."

Without missing a beat I said, "Gambino -- why do you ask?"

About ten minutes later, I looked up, and noticed everyone was sitting as far from me as possible....

When I got home, I received an automated phone call stating "your presence is no longer required" (term was supposed to be two weeks; I got one day).

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I look like a Mafia consigliere.

Actual Event: I was dragged into jury duty when I live din Omaha. I showed up in the one respectable outfit I owned -- black pinstriped double-breasted suit; wingtips; black fedora. I sat down and waited. After a time, I heard a voice behind me say "I wonder which Mafia family he's with."

Without missing a beat I said, "Gambino -- why do you ask?"

About ten minutes later, I looked up, and noticed everyone was sitting as far from me as possible....

When I got home, I received an automated phone call stating "your presence is no longer required" (term was supposed to be two weeks; I got one day).
    Well, accessorizing can be important too
    Karl

Here is the list I gave the artist to revise next...
    9. Don't forget the tail skid !

The mock ups look much better now - I'll have another !

I like it!
    Black is alway sin fashion.
    I'll have one of those.
    Rob.

I've updated the first post with the latest revision and I'm posting it here for your convenience:

The prop has been removed to show what's behind it clearer. I think the guns and the hump look much better now. I'm going to request that he makes the coaming at the front rounded like the back instead of sharp edged like it is now. He also needs to add the color shading to the inner circle of the fuselage roundel. Besides those two things, I think it's pretty close to being done. Anyone see anything glaring that I missed?

The prop has been removed to show what's behind it clearer.
    Any possibility of re-introducing that in a more subtle manner? Maybe just a light circle, and/or some blurred prop in a 5 degree arc on either side, like in the actual picture? It just looks a little odd to be completely missing.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 05-01-2013 at 18:44.

It's only missing in these proofs so we can see the details behind it clear enough to make edits . It will be there in the final image.

Polo Shirts

Based on costs, I can not have them embroidered (even with my family discount), but I did come up with a solution. I talked to the shirt shop on Friday and we can screen print the Polo shirts, just like we do for the T-Shirts. The color choices are going to be more limited. I will be able to offer them in Black, Charcoal, and Navy. I will also be offering long sleeve T shirts this time around as well. Those will be available in Black, Cardinal Red, Charcoal, and Navy.

As an added bonus, I'll also be offering the original Dr.I shirts in Polo and long sleeve versions this time as well! We will still need at least 29 shirts (we can mix and match) pre-ordered to make this happen. I'll have them added to the site tonight/tomorrow and post up here when they are all there.

And here is the final artwork for the Camel:

The short and long Camel T shirts are up now. If you are just wanting one of those, you can place your pre-order now.

That shirt looks nice and i think the dark grey color is perfect.. And it is on the "to buy" list.

One thin i noticed in the picture: Some of the bracing wires have been omitted (on the photo they are not visible due to motion blurr parallel to the wire in case). This is not a problem in itself (i think it is fine to omit details) but it disturbs the picture when the ones omitted are not symmetrical. on the last update the wire on the port wing runs from the top of the port cabane to the lower port wingtip while the starboard wire runs from the lower front fuselage to the starboard upper wingtip.

- Svend

Thanks Keith.
    I'm off to order mine now. Then realised that the polo shirts are not there yet.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-05-2013 at 23:55.

The site was not handling the long/short sleeve options correctly, so I had to set these as out of stock until I can get that sorted out (tonight most likely).

Quote Originally Posted by GilmoreDK View Post
    That shirt looks nice and i think the dark grey color is perfect.. And it is on the "to buy" list.

One thin i noticed in the picture: Some of the bracing wires have been omitted (on the photo they are not visible due to motion blurr parallel to the wire in case). This is not a problem in itself (i think it is fine to omit details) but it disturbs the picture when the ones omitted are not symmetrical. on the last update the wire on the port wing runs from the top of the port cabane to the lower port wingtip while the starboard wire runs from the lower front fuselage to the starboard upper wingtip.

- Svend
    I'll look into the rigging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Trying Wings of GLORY at Ye Olde Columbia Aerodrome
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 04:24
  2. Wings Of Glory: Fokker Dr.I vs. Sopwith Camel
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 03:49