Ares Games

Thread: SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game - Fourway Dogfight!

Default SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game - Fourway Dogfight!

This is AAR for a game between: Doug, Australia; OldGuy59, Canada; tikkifriend, France and Nightbomber, Poland. A truly Global game!

Thanks to all who joined in to make gaming history today.
    Doug went out and bought a webcam for the occassion, and Nightbomber jumped in this week, as well, to make it an awesome foursome. So what if I got shot out of the sky twice, it was fun. It is ironic that my closest regular opponent for WoW is in France. It is kind of hard to share a drink in the mess, after the furball.

Doug, in Australia:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doug, Australia.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	86965

Around the World Maps:

Name:	Map_Aust_CanadaCrop.jpg 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	86966
    Rough, straight line distances:
    Toowoomba, Australia to Comox, Canada: 11,816 kms = 7,342 miles

Name:	Map_Canada_FranceDist.jpg 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	86967
    Comox, Canada to Talvern, France: 7,808 kms = 4,851 miles

Name:	Map_EuropeDist.jpg 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	86968
    Talvern, France to Opole, Poland: 1,550 kms = 962 miles

Name:	Map_Poland_Aust2Crop.jpg 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	86969
    Opole, Poland to Toowoomba, Australia: 15,391 kms = 9,563 miles

tikkifriend and I are shown in the following link:
    International Skype Game - France-vs-Canada March 2013 AAR.

The game was midnight for me, morning for tikkifriend and Nightbomber (9:00 AM), and evening for Doug (5:00 PM). So, this just fits into the Saturday Night Dogfight thread.

Set-up Pictures:
    Table and computer, with 2nd trial Webcam (Logitech 350) attached to the dining room light for an overhead view (Trialed a Logitech c920, also, but not good enough for $120, finally settled for a MS Lifecam HD-5000 that was on special for $30). After all that, I finally had a decent camera that could capture the full playing area.

Name:	Game04Setup1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	86974

The playing area is indicated by the business cards on the table. This time it worked out to 3X4 feet or 98X130 cms. This, again, is a limitation of the capture area of the camera. I raised the light as high as I could, without putting the computer on a pedestal too.

Name:	Game05_Trn01StartComp.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	86973
    The game was a plane each, with Doug (Albatros D.III) and Nightbomber (Fokker Dr.I) flying Central Powers, and for the Entente: tikkifriend (SPAD XIII); and I (Sopwith Camel).

AAR to follow, but it was a complete drumming for the Entente. I looked at the Points System threads and thought we should give Doug an Ace Skill to compensate for his plane, against the performance of the other three. Neither of the other two pilots were up for that. So, Doug went into the battle with the “inferior” plane. The only person to get all the way through the fight with the same plane was Doug. Nightbomber, tikkifriend and I were all shot down twice! So much for an “inferior” plane. It just goes to show, a skilled pilot and some luck, against boom cards (not me this time!) and little experience in flying (yeah, that would be me), is equal to an Ace Skill or two.

CP Victory – Overwhelmingly!

One Albatros D.III (survived) and two Fokker Dr.1s (lost both) against two SPAD XIIIs and two Sopwith Camels (all shot from the sky).

More to follow tomorrow!

Mike

Can't wait to see the AAR! Thanks again for your awesome work, Mike Rep points well deserved

What a set up! Well deserved rep for your efforts & congrats to Doug & Andy on their victories!

Very interesting to see your set up Doug.
    I await the game with baited breath.
    Also please expect some questions about how you actually carry out the game and what each of you can see of the other players boards.
    Rob.

Great, not just great, bloody marvelous. Only sorry I missed it, damn early morning shopping with swmbo.

Rob there was no secret to my sucess, I just flew around in cirles alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great, not just great, bloody marvelous. Only sorry I missed it, damn early morning shopping with swmbo.
    Not at the Metro Centre you poor bugger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Rob there was no secret to my sucess, I just flew around in cirles alot!
    The universal shout from all three pilots was "left hand turn" before Alister played his card

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very interesting to see your set up Doug.
    I await the game with baited breath.
    Also please expect some questions about how you actually carry out the game and what each of you can see of the other players boards.
    Rob.
    To answer your questions Rob we all see the "master table" which is Mikes with the appropriate minis. This is an overhaed shot so we can guage distances. I personally have a mirror table with the minis at my end but train the camera on myself and or the table to allow for banter between opponants, gives it mlore of a club feel. we call out our manouvers and mike makes the approriate moves on his table for all to see. You draw your damage cards yourself and show them as dictated by the rules, gun jam, smoke etc.
    suprisingly you get very little drift difference on the mirror table but if there is a question as to range etc Mike as DM has the final word.

So You can play by just watching the master table and judging you moves by that or play with a set of minis or cards at you place.

After some half dozen games , the majority with Mike the play is begining to flow very smoothly now and is as good a game as you might have at a club. There is little or no time delay for speach or pictures so conversations develope as they would if you were ther in situ, but its hard to believe you can be over 10000 miles from your opponant.

Only downer is as Mike says you don't get to meet in the Mess after the fray but who knows we might do yet.

Particulary good game with Alister and Andrzej this week. Its good to put faces to names.

I can second this Mike runs a very tight game and his table is the master on which all ranges are taken from. Had a ball on or balloon buste game. Only sorry I missed the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    To answer your questions Rob we all see the "master table" which is Mikes with the appropriate minis. This is an overhaed shot so we can guage distances. I personally have a mirror table with the minis at my end but train the camera on myself and or the table to allow for banter between opponants, gives it mlore of a club feel. we call out our manouvers and mike makes the approriate moves on his table for all to see. You draw your damage cards yourself and show them as dictated by the rules, gun jam, smoke etc.
    suprisingly you get very little drift difference on the mirror table but if there is a question as to range etc Mike as DM has the final word.

So You can play by just watching the master table and judging you moves by that or play with a set of minis or cards at you place.

After some half dozen games , the majority with Mike the play is begining to flow very smoothly now and is as good a game as you might have at a club. There is little or no time delay for speach or pictures so conversations develope as they would if you were ther in situ, but its hard to believe you can be over 10000 miles from your opponant.

Only downer is as Mike says you don't get to meet in the Mess after the fray but who knows we might do yet.

Particulary good game with Alister and Andrzej this week. Its good to put faces to names.

Thanks for explaining the set up Paul.
    There was talk of such things as video conferencing before I retired but I never actually got to do any.
    This looks far more interesting.
    Rob.

Paul described the whole thing right. I had no idea how to proceed with the game, but it was very easy and convinient for Mike the Game Master did the job for us all. Again thanks to him!

Default AAR (SND) Global Skype Game – 2vs2 Dogfight, 20 April 2013

Skype is really opening up my education on matters WWF/WGF. This was a challenge to get set up, but now that I have two more players initiated into Skype gaming, I have more people to play! I can’t thank Alastair (Doug), Andy (Nightbomber) and Paul (tikkifriend) for their patience and perseverance in making this happen. Again, I have to thank Paul for blazing the trail on Skype gaming, as I would be a Solo-only player here in the North part of Vancouver Island (quite a few players on the new “Canadian Roll Call” living in Victoria, three hours south, but that is not conducive to casual drop-in gaming).

This was only my second battle with more than one opponent, and the first that was not face-to-face. But really, once the game was going, not that different for all the distance between us. There was a little bit of a learning curve on how to use our separate tables, and who was doing what with each plane, but by the second turn, we were just playing the game. The concept is, even though you have all the planes (or cards, if you don’t have the planes) on your table, you only plan moves for your planes. Each player then reveals their moves as you go through each maneuver phase. This is exactly like face-to-face gaming, just done through cameras. Then each plane (or card) is moved using the appropriate maneuver card on each table. I was fretting trying to get everyone in my Skype Contacts List, so that we could actually link up, and I missed some of the set-up process. Next time, however, the “Game/House Rules” and a Set-up map will be posted before the game.

As for how the table view was, I can’t speak for the other players, as I didn’t see anything but the tiny corner picture of my table. However, the others didn’t seem to have any problems, and they can post their critiques. All the pictures provided were taken with a separate camera, as I haven’t worked out taking pictures with the webcam while using it to Skype. With the one overhead camera showing the host table, you could get away with just using that table, if the picture was good enough, and the zoom feature was enabled (working on that, too. The Logitech cameras integrated well with Skype, the MS Lifecam doesn’t seem to work as seamlessly. The bad thing with the Logitech cameras was the digital zoom made for very grainy close-ups).

Set-up:
    By the time everyone was on Skype, and we worked out who was flying what, and who was on what team, we ended up with the below picture as a start point. The practice the week before with Paul was the foundation for this game. Alastair was flying the “disadvantaged” Albatros D.III near the camera and Andy flying a Fokker Dr.1 which was one ruler width apart on the far side of the table, positioned two range rulers from the center of the playing area, on the upper left. The SPAD XIII was flown by Paul on the bottom right, near the camera, with the Camel that I flew one ruler width apart, again, two range rulers from the center.

Name:	Game05_Trn01Mvr0StartComp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	87138

So, the actual Game... What Handicap?

The first card revealed how wonderful all this technology is, when Alastair proposed a climb. Opps! Somehow, I missed this in the set-up, as I never thought about Altitude Rules, never having played with them. Nightbomber wasn’t comfortable using them for this game, as we were still novices at this style of play. So, we now covered some of the basics that should have been settled before we started our first planning phase. That sorted out, we did our first Turn. At this point, it was almost a straight run into each other, with some side-slipping. Paul surprised everyone, I think with a first maneuver Stall card. I’m sure he remembered our game the week before, when the SPAD actually was at Close Range after the first turn. (Check out that game here: SND - International Skype Game - 3rd France-vs-Canada, 13 April 2013) Both the Dr.1 and the Camel side-slipped to get a side approach with the oncoming planes, only to end the Turn nearly head-on to each other. Gunfire between the planes ended up with the Camel taking a light hit, but a rudder jam!

Name:	Game05_Trn01Mvr3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	87190

Alastair stalled to try and keep the SPAD in his sights, but Paul continued to cut to the left away from the group. Andy came straight on, and I mistakenly attempted to cut to the right of the Fokker by sideslipping to the left, and nearly collided head-on with Paul. No firing this maneuver.

Name:	Game05_Trn02Mvr1ClsUp.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	87142

Alistair and Paul start a right turn chase, but Andy performs an Immelmann catching me right in his sights! It was an excellent move, which put another light hit and another jam to my rudder in the opposite direction.

Name:	Game05_Trn02Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	87143
    The turn ends with Andy finishing his Immelmann out of arc, and me continuing my turn bringing Alastair into my sights. My guns jammed, however. Alastair’s D.III, with it’s tighter turn radius, catches Paul’s SPAD with a burst.

Name:	Game05_Trn02Mvr3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	87145

First Maneuver of Turn 3, and I forgot about the first rudder jam, but respected the second. I was trying to support Paul, and get a return hit on the Dr.I. Had I respected both, I would have headed out of the fight, and not been hit from two sides when I turned into the oncoming planes’ arcs of fire. The only saving grace of this bad choice was that both opposing planes got gun jams! Without that, the Camel would have been a flaming colander over the next two maneuvers.

Name:	Game05_Trn03Mvr1Comp.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	87146

Second Maneuver of Turn 3, and Paul heads straight out of the fight, as I continue my turn. Andy stalls, as does Alastair, both holding my Camel in their sights at close range. The jammed guns saved my posterior this time, as it would have been four A damage cards had they been shooting. Interesting point to note here, had we implemented the house rule allowing an A gun jam to have one of the twin guns still functional, permitting B damage, should the player chose not to clear the jam. That would have been four B damage cards here for me, and potentially just as deadly! See this link for discussions on gun jams and their effects on game play: Jammed Guns - the Reality of it -All!

Name:	Game05_Trn03Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	87148

The last maneuver of Turn 3, Paul pulls an Immelmann turn, with his sights lining up on the Dr.I as he comes out. All the other planes are overlapping, so no firing. I finally clear my gun and rudder jams.

Name:	Game05_Trn03Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	87149

First maneuver of Turn 4, and Alastair cuts back on his throttle, heading out of the group, while I turn back into the fight. Andy is also heading out of the fight, as Paul completes the straight move out of his Immelmann. He still has Andy in his arc, and lets the Dr.I have another burst.

Name:	Game05_Trn04Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	87150

Andy’s next maneuver has him reversing direction, and he ends up with a choice of targets. He takes the close range shot at Paul, as we both fire at him. Andy gets three A damage cards out of this, but one of the two on Paul was catastrophic. There was no visible effects of the barrage on Andy’s plane.

Name:	Game05_Trn04Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	87151

The critical hit card reveals that a damaged interrupter gear deprives him of his propeller, and Paul crash lands the plane, surviving the wreck.

Name:	Game05_Trn04Mvr2SPADDmg.jpg 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	87152

The final maneuver of Turn 4 has Andy and my stands overlapping, while Alastair’s Immelmann brings his guns to bear on my Camel. My Camel is getting a bit breezy, with all the holes in the canvas. In sorting out the damage to my Camel, collecting all the maneuver cards at the end of the turn, taking the record pictures, etc… I missed something. Andy reveals that his Dr.I is crashing. Andy will have to tell me what happened, as I don’t recall that we collided, and I don’t remember any special damage from the previous hits. Anyway, two planes are down at the end of the turn.
    [Edit: Andy provided that the combined fire in the second maneuver phase started a fire. This is what I missed. We are not sure who's shot is responsible, so half credit to Paul and I. Andy drew the fire damage at the end of Turn 4, rather than the start of Turn 5 for better planning.]

Name:	Game05_Trn04Mvr3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	370.6 KB 
ID:	87153

As agreed in the set-up, and to prevent any idling while conducting this momentous event, players that are shot down bring on a replacement plane in the next planning stage. In this situation, the furball was in the CP corner, so I ended up with two planes on me almost immediately, with Paul being at the most extreme distance possible on the board.

Name:	Game05_Trn05Mvr0.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	87155

Turn 5, and the new Dr.I pops onto the board almost on Alastair’s wing tip. I turn out of the arc of the D.III, and into a near head-on with the new Dr.I. I manage to overlap, so no firing!

Name:	Game05_Trn05Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	87156

Having avoided a bullet sandwich from the two CP planes, I try to crank around to bring my guns to bear. Paul is racing to support me. Andy brings his plane around to the left, and Alastair stalls.

Name:	Game05_Trn05Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	87157

The final maneuver has the CP planes in tight formation heading to the center of the board, with me coming around toward them, but out of range. Paul is still racing across the table toward everyone.

Name:	Game05_Trn05Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	87158

First maneuver of Turn 6 and I turn right toward the CP formation, as it splits up. I get a piece of the Dr.I, but the Dr.I was not in range of the SPAD as he turned toward the rapidly closing plane, which cut the throttles just in time. The D.III drifted a little left, but didn’t turn enough to do any thing to the SPAD.

Name:	Game05_Trn06Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	87159

This closeup shot I took for Andy, to show by just how little distance I missed the close range shot.

Name:	Game05_Trn06Mvr1ClsUp.jpg 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	87160

Maneuver 2 of Turn 6 and the Dr.I and the SPAD were actually overlapping. I forgot to remove the SPAD mini. If you look close, you can see the SPAD card under the Dr.I. No collision, either. The Camel and the D.III didn’t have any targets in arc or range.

Name:	Game05_Trn06Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	87161

Last maneuver of Turn 6, and Andy Immelmanns with two targets to choose from when he comes around. He takes the shot at Paul’s SPAD. Alastair’s D.III is coming around in a left turn.

Name:	Game05_Trn06Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	87162

Turn 7, and the furball begins in earnest. Andy almost gets a back end shot at my Camel, but everyone else is turning to the left in an attempt to get something in arc.

Name:	Game05_Trn07Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	87163

Next Maneuver, and the Dr.I’s turn radius catches my Camel in a side shot that did heavy damage and wounded my pilot. Paul is heading straight out of the fight, and Alastair continues his left turn.

Name:	Game05_Trn07Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	87164

I stall, at this point, as I expected that there would be a target somewhere in front of me, but alas, I was completely mistaken. Paul Immelmanns to get back into the fight, and Alastair is continuing his left turn.

Name:	Game05_Trn07Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	87166

Turn 8, and Alastair’s continuous left turns finally gets him behind my Camel, as I straighten out my plane. It wasn’t much of a hit, but enough to jam my rudder again. Paul finishes his Immelmann, almost bypassing the Dr.I. The SPAD and Dr.I trade close range damage into each other’s sides, and Paul begins to trail smoke.

Name:	Game05_Trn08Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	87167

Maneuver 2, and the Camel gets sandwiched by the two CP planes, this time with working guns. The Camel gives it up (the top row of damage is regular, the second row is all +1. The D.III hit was the 2, and the Dr.I hit was the 4 in the picture).

Name:	Game05_Trn08Mvr2DmgCamelGone.jpg 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	87169

Paul finishes his move with a left side-slip, and the two CP planes continue on course for the smoke plume of the falling Camel.

Name:	Game05_Trn08Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	87170

Turn 9, and my new Camel pops onto the board in the Entente corner, one range ruler from each side. This puts me almost in range of Andy’s Dr.I. Alastair resumes his left turning strategy, and Andy and I take a head-on run at each other. Paul tries to bring his plane around to the right to reengage.

Name:	Game05_Trn09Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	87171

I trade close-range shots with Andy as we pass by each other brushing wing tips. The nearness of the pass must have unsettled Andy, as the damage amounted to nothing. Paul and Alastair are not in range of each other, but are rounding into a head-on approach.

Name:	Game05_Trn09Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	87172

Last maneuver of Turn 9, and Andy Immelmanns right onto my tail, unloading his guns. This hurt, with both cards counting as +1s for continuing fire. A brand new plane, and already, I am over half destroyed. Alastair and Paul trade close-ranged shots in their pass, as Alastair planned a stall at a critically opportune moment, with Paul continuing his right turn.

Name:	Game05_Trn09Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	87174

First maneuver of Turn 10, and I try to crank around to the right in a tight turn, knowing Andy had to do a recovery from the Immelmann last turn. It wasn’t enough, and only the card draw saves me. This would have been two more cards at +1, and could have finished my new plane off in four maneuvers. Paul comes straight out of his turn past Alastair, heading for the Dr.I. Alastair continues his left turn, with no targets in sight. This left turn has been going pretty well continuously since Turn 7, and the jokes started. Stuck rudder? Indecisive pilot? Dropped or lost all the other cards in his maneuver deck?

Name:	Game05_Trn10Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	87176

Maneuver 2 and Paul Immelmanns to get Alastair, but ends up with the Dr.I nearly right on his tail. Paul takes a close range hit with no targets to shoot at. Alastair is continuing his dizzying rotation to the left. The Camel continues his tight right turn, in hopes of coming about onto the tail of the Dr.I.

Name:	Game05_Trn10Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	87178

Andy pulls another Immelmann, having predicted my attempt to get on his tail. I haven’t finished my turn, as the Camel can’t quite do a 360 in one Turn, despite the tight turning abilities. It isn’t a short ranged shot, but I do take it in the engine! Curse you Red Baron! Paul is heading out of his Immelmann, and Alastair is still in his left turn.

Name:	Game05_Trn10Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	87179

Turn 11 and Andy headed straight at my oncoming Camel, as I complete my 360 turn to the right. We overlap, but Alastair actually plays something other than a left turn, and I get shot up. Not much of a hit, but I’m already hurting. There was no visible damage to Alastair from my return complement. Paul is speeding away from the fight.

Name:	Game05_Trn11Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	87181

Second maneuver, and I play my obligatory engine-damage stall, with Alastair playing one too! This leaves us both at close range, and we trade shots. This is following fire, so even though I draw one zero, the other card counts as +1, and another of my planes disintegrates. Alastair’s guns jam. Paul Immelmanns to bring his plane back around, to see me tumbling from the sky, and two enemy planes. Andy does a wing-tip stand on his right wing, bringing his plane around.

Name:	Game05_Trn11Mvr2.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	87183

Top row of damage is regular, the second row is all +1 shots (zeros are zeros, but just to show you all the accuracy):

Name:	Game05_Trn11Mvr2CamelDown.jpg 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	87184

Last maneuver of Turn 11, and Paul finishes his Immelmann, Andy completes his wing-tip stand, and Alastair finds another straight card from somewhere.

Name:	Game05_Trn11Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	87186

I don’t announce this, but I should have brought a third Camel in at the start of Turn 12. It is two hours into the game, and having taken a bit of time getting set up and sorting out the engagement, it is after two in the morning for me. I decide it is about time to finish this, and secretly decided to stop the game at the end of Turn 12. We are right in the Entente corner, and had I placed my plane on the board, Andy and Alastair may have made different planning choices. Without the other target, they both concentrated fire on Paul, and that was fatal. Also, being that I would have been right in the fight, I could have taken shots at Alastair, and taken out his plane. Choices, choices.

Turn 12 started with Paul side-slipping toward the two enemy planes, and Andy side-slipping toward Paul. This brings both into range, and shots are traded. Andy’s plane catches fire! Alastair reverses direction and although Paul is “on for line”, is “short” by 50 (sorry, artillery spotting terms). Oh, yeah. Alastair’s guns are jammed, anyway.

Name:	Game05_Trn12Mvr1.jpg 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	87187

Maneuver 2, and Paul turns directly into Alastair’s path. There was a little overlap, and Andy’s guns were jammed anyway. Both are saved from damage. Andy continues straight, and that takes him past Paul, so neither can shoot at each other. Sorry, no picture of this maneuver.

Last maneuver of the game, Alastair sideslips to the right, well out of the way of any targets, but Andy Immelmanns again! With Paul turning to the left, it puts him right in front of Andy, and although at extreme range, the shot is telling.

Name:	Game05_Trn12Mvr3.jpg 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	87188

Paul’s plane thunders in!

Name:	Game05_Trn12Mvr3SPADDown.jpg 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	87189

That is the end of the game, but Andy reminds us that his plane is still on fire. So, he draws the three damage cards, as he would have to return to base, in any event. The damage destroys his plane, and counts as a kill for Paul.

The Damage:
    Alastair's surviving D.III:

Name:	AlastairD.III.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	87280

Andy:
    "Unfortunately I did not take photos of my damage cards; I remember my both Fokkers caught fire and fell down. The second damage I scored was 13, of which the last fire damage cards were 1, 0 and 3."

Paul (Second SPAD on the left; first SPAD, with Boom card, on the right):

Name:	PaulsSPADs.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	87281

My Damage is above, in the Turn pictures.

Shots on Target Analysis:
    Alastair took out my first Camel, but it was a shared kill on the second.
    Shots on targets:
    Camel one: 3.1(0,1), 4.3(1), 8.1(1), 8.3(2+1)
    Camel two: 11.1(1), 11.2(3+1, 0+0)
    SPAD one: 2.3
    SPAD two: 9.3(?, ?)

Andy took out both of Paul’s SPADs, with a shared kill on my 2nd Camel
    Shots on targets:
    Camel one: 1.3(2), 2.2(2), 3.1(2), 7.2(5), 8.3(4)
    Camel two: 9.2(0,0), 9.3(1+1, 5+1), 10.1(0+0, 0+0), 10.3(3)
    SPAD one: 4.2(?, Boom)
    SPAD two: 6.2(?, ?), 6.3(+1), 8.1(?, ?), 10.2(?, ?), 12.1, 12.3

Paul took out Andy’s second Dr.1
    [Edit: We shared the first, as we don't know who's shot started the fire].
    Albatros one: 9.3 (?, ?), 10.2[not sure],
    Fokker one: 3.3, 4.1(+1), 4.2(?+1, ?+1, fire?)
    Fokker two: 6.2(?, ?), 8.1(?, ?), 12.1(+fire)

I’m not sure who got the kill on Andy’s first Dr.I, or even if it should have departed when it did. Both Paul and I were pumping rounds into it just before it fell.
    [Edit: Andy stated that fire took out the first Dr.I, and that was at the end of Turn 4. So, half credit to both Paul and I]
    Albatros one: 2.3, 4.3, 8.2[?*], 11.2(?, ?)
    Fokker one: 1.3, 4.2(fire?)
    Fokker two: 6.1, 8.2[?*], 9.2(?, ?)
    [?*] I don’t remember who I shot at! Someone wore it, while I was being gunned out of the sky (I hope).

Not counting gun jams, and overlaps, this was a shooty game. The after action analysis shows that Andy is a nasty opponent, and knows how to get his guns on a target! A lot! I think if I play against him again, I'll want a handicap. He can fly with a broken rudder and a bucket on his head. That might even things out for me.

Awesome game, guys! I can’t wait for the next one.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-22-2013 at 10:02. Reason: Updates and photos from other players!

An enthralling game Mike.
    Thanks for the write up.
    I will look forward expectantly to your next encounter in the skies over the web.
    Rob.

Just for fun, I dragged out all my J Decks (and some left turns from an I deck), and tried to do an overhead shot of Alastair's Left Hand Death Spiral. I actually did the entire game in two shots, this is 8-12.

I need a better shot (I used the digital zoom on the overhead cam, and the focus shifted a bit), but if I did this from Turn 7 to 11, it would look like a Spirograph picture!

Name:	2013-04-21 10-44-41.831.jpg 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	87191

Too funny!

Mike

I was trying to get into the fight but the other were too fast. Thanks Mike it was a great game and I enjoyed meeting and gameing with you all. Nice AAR report Mike, I am supprised you had time to memorise the game, after all you were busy moveing all the planes.

That is incredible, how well Mike documented the whole event. Elves where there to help? I am impressed Sorry I didn't photographed my damage cards, but as far as I remember my first Dr.I was also on fire and was totally consumed by the flames, that's why it crashed. It was probably Paul in the fourth turn who put it on fire, but can not say that for sure...

It was a fantastic game, thank you chaps!

Of course no handicap will be needed next time, Mike. But for your effort you should be given an Ace ability of your choice, no doubt about it

The thing about spads is that they have a wide arc for turning so you have to "step out" of the killing zone to get a turn in against a Dr1 or Albatros with its tight turn ability. Mind you do have the speed to get back in the fight and its a little more robust than its opponants ( except when you get a boom card)

Great game boys look forward to the next.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Very well done AAR. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    That is incredible, how well Mike documented the whole event. Elves where there to help? I am impressed Sorry I didn't photographed my damage cards, but as far as I remember my first Dr.I was also on fire and was totally consumed by the flames, that's why it crashed. It was probably Paul in the fourth turn who put it on fire, but can not say that for sure...

It was a fantastic game, thank you chaps!

Of course no handicap will be needed next time, Mike. But for your effort you should be given an Ace ability of your choice, no doubt about it
    Andy,
    That is what the photos are for! And if I just remember to document a few more things, it would be perfect. IE: when the fires started, and who started them. However, it is just like Real Life. Sometimes, you can't sort out who shot down whom, in a dogfight with multiple planes.

Keeping the story straight was one of the reasons you see the "Turn/Maneuver" numbers in the bottom corner. When I'm posting pictures, it helps to get the right order for the game. It is too bad the upload changes the picture titles to numbers, as that means I do a lot of "Previewing" to get it straight. And it would help even more, if I remembered to keep the numbers current for the Turn/Maneuver (the number of cards in the picture helps).

All this is just so I can post AARs to get others interested in playing on-line. And for that, I can't thank you, Alastair, Paul, and Neil (Skafloc) enough.

Mike

You can count me in for another game (I'd love to play if you want to host it), Mike, but not the coming and the next weekend, for we have some days off.

Nope, especially on Saturday mornings....just ASDA and ALDI!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Not at the Metro Centre you poor bugger!!!!

Sunday would probably be best for myself as Sat's are always took up with shopping, visiting Karen's Dad etc.

Well done all - what an epic clash !

Looks great! Can someone post these results into http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...0-Quick-Report

so I can set them up for the results of SND Wk5? Since you guys did two games, make one separate entry for each game (The 4 way, and the 2v2). That way I can post it as two games. Thanks. I'll have the sheet up as soon as I can make sense of the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    Looks great! Can someone post these results into http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...0-Quick-Report

so I can set them up for the results of SND Wk5? Since you guys did two games, make one separate entry for each game (The 4 way, and the 2v2). That way I can post it as two games. Thanks. I'll have the sheet up as soon as I can make sense of the stats.
    Japheth: it was basically one game in which each participant was entitled to get a new plane if his original kite had been shot down. The outcome was: Everybody was shot down twice, except Doug, who was the last man standing without being shot down even once!

The outcome was: Everybody was shot down twice, except Doug, who was the last man standing without being shot down even once!
    Sounds fun, can you fill in the blanks for me? Correct any of this if it is wrong or tell me it is right and I'll have the sheet up right after.

Central Powers Vs Entente

Albatros D.III and Fokker Dr.I vs. Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel

Fill in general feel for the fight for me since you were 'there.'

Victory = Central Powers.

Japheth, what blanks do you mean? Individual Victories? Mike's post #13 includes the victories, however in the midst of combat you can not be sure who scored a specific kill sometimes...

Japheth, what blanks do you mean? Individual Victories? Mike's post #13 includes the victories, however in the midst of combat you can not be sure who scored a specific kill sometimes...
    Bad communication on my part. I was asking for the barest run down since I was late putting up the weekly results and I thought that would be quicker since some AARs are hard to glean info from (like mine are). This one was great though and I got all the info I needed. Thanks!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 08:39
  2. AAR SND - International Skype Game - Threeway Dogfight!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 07:06
  3. International Skype Game Invitation - 12-14 April
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 05:54
  4. *Saturday Night Dogfight Results - Week 1*
    By HTRAINo in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 01:35
  5. 1st game via Skype