Ares Games

Thread: Playing Wings of Glory (a review/commentary of sorts)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Default Playing Wings of Glory (a review/commentary of sorts)

Taken from: http://behindthesofa.net/wargaming/2...ings-of-glory/

So today was the day of the big roadtest (an ironic expression considering we were taking to the skies, but I digress). My mate Andy and I cracked open the Wings of Glory “duel pack” that features the Spad VIII of America’s Frank Luke Jr. and the Albatros D.Va of Germany’s Paul Bäumer. Along with the pre-painted planes and stands came unique movement card decks for each plane, a “console” for each player to play their cards in when paying, a rulebook featuring basic and standard rules… basically everything you need to play in one simple box for less than $30, which is a ripping price for what you get.

Kudos to the makers for designing such a well put together package.

We had already read the rulebook, so were ready to go and, aside from a few rookie mistakes from over-eagerness, found that we nailed playing the basic game with ease. That said, Andy — who has been playing way more X-Wing Miniatures than myself lately — found himself all over the place at first, as I flew rings around him in the Spad VIII and, eventually, shot him down in the opening game. Because, while it’s quite fair to say there are a few similarities between the two games, they also play quite differently in some ways, too. Andy took about three games to fully adjust his mind to this fact.

In total, we played seven games (switching to the standard rules — which add more ways to take damage — on the third or fourth game), with five wins to Andy and two wins to myself. That said, two of the games lasted just one turn as, in successive games, I drew the one and only explosion card in the deck of damage cards, destroying my plane instantly before either of us had shown any flying skill at all against our opponent. With those anomalies removed from the record (seriously, who explodes on turn one with the first card they draw, let alone in two games running?), it was realistically three wins to Andy and two wins to myself, in quality games that lasted 30-60 minutes apiece.

My thoughts on Wings of Glory are that it “feels fair” and that is a HUGE issue for me when it comes to some wargames. Yes, there was that explosion card that took me out on the first turn in two successive games, but that’s not the kind of fairness I mean. In X-Wing Miniatures, for example, there’s a lot of emphasis on who your pilot is, and ways in which they can affect their opponents. For example, if Wedge Antilles is shooting at you, you can’t roll your full complement of defence dice to try and block his shots. Other pilots don’t have that ability, but might have other abilities, to greater or lesser than effect.

This kind of thing “adds flavour” to the X-Wing game and, yes, can make an X-Wing really feel like it’s being flown by an ace pilot like Wedge or Luke Skywalker, rather than some rookie (of course, it also features stats for rookies, too), which is a great and fun kind of game. But Wings of Glory is very, very different in regard to pilots. You don’t buy the Red Baron pack, for example, to get a pilot who can shoot twice as many bullets or be able to take more hits than everyone else, or anything like that to artificially simulate Manfred von Richthofen being a better pilot than everyone else. That would be cheesy and would simply lead to another statistics-based game where choosing ‘x’ pilot with ‘y’ abilities will lead to victory ‘z’ per cent of the time as it can sometimes be in X-Wing Miniatures.

In Wings of Glory, there are some differences between what the planes can do (their movement cards show some of them to be faster, or do certain moves better than others), but, on the whole, you are the pilot, making all the decisions and, beyond that, it’s a simple deck of cards that will affect your overall fate if you find yourself getting shot at.

So, for example, you might find yourself getting shot full of holes in a game, but consistently drawing ’0′ or very low damage cards when you get hit. In one game, I was having a blinder in terms of consistently getting in position and hammering Andy — and he had drawn well over 10 damage cards, yet was still flying the unfriendly skies. Or, for example, you might only get hit four or five times but start drawing cards like ’5′, ’5′, ’3′, ’4′ in succession… and suddenly you’ve taken more damage than your plane can withstand in a relatively short period of time. And if you’ve noticed none of what I’m saying involves dice… well spotted. Wings of War is a dice free game, and is quite fun in that respect.

All in all, we really enjoyed ourselves and, from a shaky start (which I put down to the fact I kicked his arse, but he denies it), Andy finished the day calling the game fantastic.

Wings of War is all about getting in position to his your opponent with your guns and, when you do, hoping they draw some nasty cards from the damage pile. They might. Or they might not. That’s the game at hand. And, in terms of representing WW1 aerial combat where one lucky bullet could hit a fuel tank, or hit a pilot in the head, while other planes might get shot full of holes and live to fight another day, I think it’s a pretty good representation of the era. Again, it “feels fair” to me, while still feeling like a game.

Does this mean I’m giving up X-Wing Miniatures? Not on your life! X-Wing simulates something completely different and is its own game. And you know, I’m really happy to be saying that, as part of me feared the games might be so similar that it would become hard to decide what to play, as it would be a case of “six of one, half a dozen of the other”, but that’s not the case at all. Both are flight games. Both use similar movement. But from there, things start to move in almost opposite directions. Vive la difference!

Thumbs up

Thanks for that review Rob!
    Wonder if he knew the X Wing game was a bit of a copy cat of the original Wings of War by Fantasy Flight who were the distributors back when Nexus produced it?

I like the overall assesment of the game by Rob. It is just the sort of information that a new player who is thinking of getting into the game can use to inform his decisions. mind you there is nothing like getting a couple of games under your belt to really set the score line right.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thanks for that review Rob!
    Wonder if he knew the X Wing game was a bit of a copy cat of the original Wings of War by Fantasy Flight who were the distributors back when Nexus produced it?
    Yes, Andy knew that. Wings of War was a game that I, and several of the lads in my wargaming group, knew about, but never played.

I actually touched on that vibe in an earlier WoW/WoG post on the same blog here: http://behindthesofa.net/wargaming/2...ings-of-glory/

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I like the overall assesment of the game by Rob. It is just the sort of information that a new player who is thinking of getting into the game can use to inform his decisions. mind you there is nothing like getting a couple of games under your belt to really set the score line right.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. I certainly hope that someone, somewhere, Googling WoG will stumble across that post, and others I've made on the blog.

Playing something always trumps everything else, but when in the research stage, if I read a post like this (whether I was an X-Wing gamer or not), I agree I'd get something out of it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Glad you like it Andy.
    Andy's my mate... I'm Rob... but I will pass that on

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sebastien
    Sorties Flown

A very nice review. Well said ! ^_^

A great review of the game for newcomers. I have 2 of the duel packs and are great for starting the game. You have 2 planes, rules and decks. Instant, well balanced game for a nice price. Can't agree more with your assessment. Well done.

Neil

it is strange since nexus came out with WOW ww1 there has been a surge of games on the net USING THE CARD MOVMENT IGEA, everything from cars to space to Dino's. have even seen a spy game using it. i guess copyrights were never taught in their schools.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    it is strange since nexus came out with WOW ww1 there has been a surge of games on the net USING THE CARD MOVMENT IGEA, everything from cars to space to Dino's. have even seen a spy game using it. i guess copyrights were never taught in their schools.
    If memory serves: Game mechanics cannot be copyrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    I used a similar card-based movement technique for a home-made 28mm game using WWII Russian aerosans (ski sleds with aeroplane engines and huge propellors on the back). Certainly there was a nod of appreciation to the WoW designers, but it isn't an infringement on their copyright to use an idea and implement it in a different way. If that were the case, game designers are all in trouble for rolling dice to move a piece around a board.

But let's not get distracted from the excellent review by Rob. Thanks for that.

I have played almost every wwi boardgame made since Richthofen's war back in the '70s.

I played a number of WoW/WGF scenarios so far...all solo. I feel the game gives a great feel for wwi combat, if using altitude rules, also giving historical results IMHO. Played some of the balloon busting scenarios and trench strafing. Seems to play very well also.

Not sure of the damage cards though....if playing with maybe 4+ planes/pilots. I foresee some problems if one guy soaks up all the high numbers, then there will be only zeroes left, since there is no replacement, the statistical results may be off, did not crunch the numbers... Not sure if this is unrealistic or not.

Sure is fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    I have played almost every wwi boardgame made since Richthofen's war back in the '70s.

I played a number of WoW/WGF scenarios so far...all solo. I feel the game gives a great feel for wwi combat, if using altitude rules, also giving historical results IMHO. Played some of the balloon busting scenarios and trench strafing. Seems to play very well also.

Not sure of the damage cards though....if playing with maybe 4+ planes/pilots. I foresee some problems if one guy soaks up all the high numbers, then there will be only zeroes left, since there is no replacement, the statistical results may be off, did not crunch the numbers... Not sure if this is unrealistic or not.

Sure is fun though!
    If the cards bother you, instead of placing the cards on the target, just mark the damage and reshuffle them back in at the end of a set of maneuvers. (I know, still another house rule)

That is the reason why the rules suggest that multiple decks are used if more planes are flown. Just before it's demise Nexus even introduced a double A pack into its De-Luxe set.
    I personally always play with a double deck for all decks.
    Rob.

Nicely written. I never thought to compare X-wings to WW1. Comparing the extremes. If you want some ace pilots look around in the site and you will find some. So you could have the Red Baron with alot of attributes to a novice with none.

Nice review
    The dual pack is really nice, considering the content and the price.
    It's nice to see the guys over there liked the game, and as John Snelling said, I never compared X-Wing to WWI
    (not even thought)

Nick

Fantastic review Rob with a nice parallel drawn to the X wing game.

I cannot emphasise enough on how great the card system is. I had originally thought of playing X wing but one thing that really made me go meh, was the dice system used. I play so many dice games WHFB, Bloodbowl, 40K etc that its refreshing to rock up to a game using your wits, tactics and stratagy and not rely on that 2+ to blow your opponent out of the sky. Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't like X wing, its just that I think the WoG mechanic is really solid. Easy to pick up but the layers of rules you can add really make for some epic games!

I haven't been playing for long and I'm just starting to introduce alititude into my games now. Another reason I think I find the game refreshing is the historical background and context. After many years of gaming with Elves, Gremlins and Eskimo's its nice to be able to play a game and actually do some research on say the Albatros D.Va (my WWI knowledge is next to non-existant) which then leads to to something else related and so on and so forth.

Anyway, great game, awesome machanic and once again, a great review!

Cheers,

Pip.

Similar Missions

1. New Review of the WW 2 Wings of Glory Bombers!!!!
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 07:51
  2. My wife and I playing Wings of Glory (ROUND 2)
    By billingspike in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 02:41
  3. My wife and I playing Wings of Glory Rd. 1
    By billingspike in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 18:19
  4. Wings of Glory WW2 Review
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 23:50
  5. Review of Wings of Glory Starter Set and Interview with Designer