Ares Games

Thread: SND - International Skype Game Invitation - Multinational Dogfight 19-20 April!

Default SND - International Skype Game Invitation - Multinational Dogfight 19-20 April!

All,
    I have sent out a PM invite to try another multi-player Skype game, and tentatively suggested the following timing:

New Timing:
    Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Comox (Canada) Saturday, 20 April at 00:00 AM PDT UTC-7 hours
    Opole (Poland) Saturday, 20 April at 09:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Talvern (France) Saturday, 20 April at 09:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Firenze (Italy) Saturday, 20 April at 09:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Toowoomba (Australia) Saturday, 20 April at 5:00 PM AEST UTC+10 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Saturday, 20 April at 10:00 AM BST UTC+1 hour
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 20 April at 07:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC
    Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
    Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Using the World Clock Meeting Planner at: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Rules could be as indicated at: International Skype Game Invitation: 12-14-April.

Or we could just bring in a plane each and slug it out, with anyone shot down restarting in the same plane on the next turn.

This could slide a bit, but one response has suggested this is the earliest time. I'll wait and see if others are available at the same time. Oh, and the Skype Premium time limit is four (4) hours, not two. Not that we have to play that long.

Also, I have a new camera that takes in my whole table, so we could use a 100X122 cm (3x4 ft) playing area.

Hope to see you on line.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-17-2013 at 07:18. Reason: Timings tentatively confirmed

OK,
    I have positive replays from three PM'ed invitees, and the timing is working for all, for now. So, we have, at least, a two on two, for Saturday!

More to follow.

Mike:-)

Hi Mike,

I'm a little bit lost lost when time zones are concerned.

Does it mean 11:00 AM my local time?

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Hi Mike,

I'm a little bit lost lost when time zones are concerned.

Does it mean 11:00 AM my local time?

Andy.
    Andy,
    The time indicated with each location is the local time. At the bottom of the table is a row indicating the corresponding UTC time (Grenich Mean Time - usually London Time, but not at this time of year, as indicated in the note below the table). In this case, UTC is 07:00 AM. This should be helpful for others who are living in a place not listed in the original invitation, but would like to join in (and it is there to confirm the times posted - in case an old guy gets the time zones wrong).

So, in order for you to join, if we keep the current time slot, you need to be on Skype at 09:00 AM, Opole time. I will call you to invite you into the group call (if I have you as a contact in my list. If you haven't received a Skype Contact Request, I haven't found you and have sent requests to a confused individual. If you haven't received one, please send one to me?).

Hope this helps you, Andy, and anyone reading this and upcoming invitations.

Mike :-)

Hi Mike
    good for Sat 20th at 09.00 Can I suggest we have 2 planes each and play 1 until shot down and then introduce the second otherwise 8 plane moves is going to take a lot of handling

Happy to partner up with Doug if he will have me

Sorry I'm unavailable, again, for this momentous game.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Hi Mike
    Can I suggest we have 2 planes each and play 1 until shot down and then introduce the second...

Happy to partner up with Doug if he will have me
    Paul,
    I would think for the first try, that one plane per person, at a time, is the best way to go. I have enough planes to do two types per side, if we want to play that way. In my PM, I was just advising I could do pairs of planes per team, not per person. Sorry for the confusion. Doug has suggested that he use an Albatros D.III, of which I only have one. So, no pairs of that on the table, unless I use a D.V mini with D.III stats?

Mike

Gentlemen,
    Just looking at the Point System thread, and the Balancing of planes with Ace Skills: Point System for Wings of Glory

If Doug is bringing an Albatros D.III, and the remainder are flying SPADs, Camels, and Dr.1s, Doug should have an Ace Skill to balance out the performance of his plane. However, there is something to be said about experience, and that is the load my team-mate has to bear, with my lack thereof (Sorry Nightbomber!).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Just looking at the Point System thread, and the Balancing of planes with Ace Skills: Point System for Wings of Glory

If Doug is bringing an Albatros D.III, and the remainder are flying SPADs, Camels, and Dr.1s, Doug should have an Ace Skill to balance out the performance of his plane. However, there is something to be said about experience, and that is the load my team-mate has to bear, with my lack thereof (Sorry Nightbomber!).

Mike
    So Doug and me are Central powers ? In that case Ill take a DR1 tripe to make thinks easier for you I have no Alb 111 so what deck do they use tio fly? I can sub a alb V mini ans down load a Alb III deck .
    paul

If it makes it simpler just name the plane and I should have it (what ever you have got Mike). Paul I shall be more than happy to fight with you! I also have an Albatros IV or a triplane ? Mike I will be on Skype from 4.45 Toowoomba time (I mean Eastern Australian Standard time).

Gentlemen,
    I may have messed this up a bit, as I note that Andy (Nightbomber) has a CP avatar. So, with Alastair (Doug) suggesting the Albatross D.III, I might have put forth that Doug and Andy fly together. The D.III uses a J deck, Paul. So, if you don't have that plane, the J deck was in Burning Drachens, if you have it, or a Pfalz D.III uses it, too.

We can sort out planes/teams when we "get together".

Andy, please send me a Skype contact invite using the Skype info in my profile, as I won't be able to add you to the group Saturday, if you are not on my Contact List.

See you all tonight!

Mike:-)

Hi Mike,
    my skype contact is andrzej_adwokat
    I can (try) to fly any of the available CP kite - you decide.
    Experience in flying is not necessary Take it easy. I'm a little bit afraid how to handle the game in front of the camera - but will try to

If you can link me to any post with some kind of tutorial - it could be fine.

Cheers,
    Andy.

Gentlemen, feel free to pick and choose any Entente planes of the official ones. I can fly whatever CP (A damage) plane is suitable for you. My avatar yellow&blue Dreidecker would be the best one to show up

All,
    We did it! Gaming History was made today, by Doug, Nightbomber, tikkifriend and I, with a round the World Skype game. Way too much fun. The results will be posted soon, and the SND AAR can be found here:
    SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game - Fourway Dogfight!

Thanks to Doug, Nightbomber, and tikkifriend for making this happen!

Mike

Also thanks to Mike for his work in organising the game, and thanks to Nightbomber and tikifriend for making a realy sociable game I realy enjoyed myself Thanks.

Thanks so much, mates; playing with you three was a great pleasure and a fantastic new gaming experience. The Oscar goes to Mike for arranging the event.

Gentlemen,
    The AAR is finally up: SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game 2vs2 Dogfight!

If you have damage photos, please upload to one of your albums, and I will grab it from there. If you have info, PM me or add it to the thread. Check out the Shooting Analysis, too. Data for that would be nice.

Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike
    Unfortunately I did not take photos of my damage cards; I remember my both Fokkers caught fire and fell down. The second damage I scored was 13, of which the last fire damage cards were 1, 0 and 3.
    Andy.

This seems really fun. I want to give this a go next time someone works it up. I need to check out Skype and set it up (which is why I haven't asked to join the fight yet), but I am sure I can handle it. What do the players need as far as commo. I assume a player (me) needs to receive video and audio and send audio. Is that right? I also assume players are just judging the hosts table, as in - I don't need to have every plane in the game to play, just the deck for my plane.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    The AAR is finally up: SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game 2vs2 Dogfight!

If you have damage photos, please upload to one of your albums, and I will grab it from there. If you have info, PM me or add it to the thread. Check out the Shooting Analysis, too. Data for that would be nice.

Mike
    My miserable planes scores are in the usual album Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    This seems really fun. I want to give this a go next time someone works it up. I need to check out Skype and set it up (which is why I haven't asked to join the fight yet), but I am sure I can handle it. What do the players need as far as commo. I assume a player (me) needs to receive video and audio and send audio. Is that right? I also assume players are just judging the hosts table, as in - I don't need to have every plane in the game to play, just the deck for my plane.
    You can send audio but with a cam you normally get both, and its a bit more of a personal,/ club feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    Paul is right. It's like playing a game on a screen. While you have a working Skype A/V connection You need virtually nothing but decks of maneuver and damage cards. Thanks to Mike's invention with a camera view from above you watch the play and choose 3 cards normally. They are revealed like in a F2F play, one by one and announced to the others. Mike, the Game Master is handling all the planes on the table and when you are told to draw a damage card you do it and keep on your table/cockpit normally. I did not expect it to be so easy! It was like watching a snooker game and being able to play yourself the same time Thrilling.

Similar Missions

1. AAR (SND) International Skype Game – 3rd France vs Canada, 13 April 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 09:36
  2. AAR SND - International Skype Game - Threeway Dogfight!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 07:06
  3. International Skype Game Invitation - 12-14 April
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 05:54
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 09:23
  5. AAR - International Skype Game - UK vs Canada, March 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 23