Ares Games

Thread: Over the Trenches - The Final Months . Mission 2: Never volunteer..! 23rd April 1918

Default Over the Trenches - The Final Months . Mission 2: Never volunteer..! 23rd April 1918

I knew Ernst would get over my leaving him grounded for this mission but as the Co had asked for volunteers and I was the one chosen and the CO had said to me “Ok Jacob, no heroics, just get over there, pick the agent up and get back in one piece…” I was day dreaming when I should have been concentrating…now where was I? Oh yes…..

…feathering the Mercedes engine of the Walfisch, I glided down towards the small field where the agent provocateur I was to pick up had laid out the pick up sign. I kept the engine turning over as I taxied towards him and threw the plane quickly round. I had timed it to perfection the pick-up was at the side of the aircraft and climbing in as the aircraft slewed to a halt. No sooner was my passenger in the plane than I was gunning the throttle to take off. My aim was to keep low until we neared the front line then rapidly climb, cross the front and land at the airfield. I also hoped my arrival had been un-noticed but a furious tapping on my shoulder and an arm pointing half right was to prove me wrong. High above in the cloudless sky a lone plane was heading towards us. From its shape it could only be a Sopwith Camel.
    Attachment 85548
    I turned into the Camel and my ploy worked as the Camel passed us by to the rear. My actions did not put off my passenger as I could hear the parabellum machine gun chattering away behind me. Hopefully the Camel pilot would be more wary now.
    Attachment 85549
    I had only delayed the Belgian (I had noticed the markings as we passed) but as I glanced left I could see another Camel heading towards us. My passenger fired a quick burst then stopped…I could hear the cursing as my passenger tried to un-jam the gun. Bullets from the Camel whizzed past the plane as the Belgy missed.
    Attachment 85550
    With no rear gun I had to try some drastic manoeuvres. The Belgy was hot on my tail pouring more bullets into our craft. Luckily the Roland was built to take a bit of damage..but there were now some large holes in my left wing surface.
    Attachment 85551
    I dodged left and threw Belgy 1 off my tail only to leave Belgy 2 an opening and more bullet holes appeared along the fuselage.
    Attachment 85552
    Both Belgian pilots had succeeded in pushing me to turn away from the front but at least I had thrown Belgy 2 off my tail. My passenger tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a thumbs up. The sound of the mg spitting out a few rounds was enough to convince me our rear gun was operational again.
    Attachment 85553
    A tap on the shoulder, a thumbs down and then 3 fingers prompted a quick look back….we now had 3 Camels chasing us. I had to turn for the lines but that meant taking a gamble….
    Attachment 85554
    Belgy 1 and 2 had broken off but were now flying to cut off my line of retreat whilst Belgy 3 closed in from the rear.
    Attachment 85555
    Now it was my turn Belgy 1 and 2 had turned and were taking me head on….I fired off a burst and flames were licking the side of Belgy 2. His burst put another hole in my wing surface…
    Attachment 85556
    I dodged round both planes as I could see Belgy 1 hammering on his jammed guns. I had Belgy 3 in my sights and he got a quick burst and flames began to lick his plane.
    Attachment 85557
    A quick turn and Belgy 3 was on my rear as bullets hammered into the airframe again, then I could faintly hear click click click, his guns had jammed. I was now dangerously low but I had no room to climb and hoped lady luck would smile as we crossed the lines very low. Archie was bursting all round us and some ground fire but soon we were clear and heading for home.

I was surprised when we landed and my passenger got out of the plane then instead of a handshake gave me a kiss full on the lips…taking off the hat and goggles revealed a stunning blonde haired woman, a quick wink and she was gone. I just stood there stunned. Who was she? Where had she gone? Would I ever see her again?

The butchers Bill.
    Attachment 85558
    Lt Blake Roberts RTB
    2Lt Richard Lyle RTB (wounded rolled 7-1+3=9 a mere flesh wound)
    "Lt Stephen Croft RTB

Attachment 85559
    (the bottom line is the +1 to cards line)
    Lt Jacob Hasenhirn RTB
    Agent RTB

It wasn't until I realised that I had forgot the archie card and drew the 0, totted up the damage and it was on 14 for Lt Hasenhirn that it dawned just how lady luck had held out for him and his saucey agent.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-10-2013 at 14:58.

Countess Kaeti up to her tricks again ?!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	392363-countess_kaeti_von_klugermann.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	85560

That was a close run thing - but your pilot came through magnificently Neil !

Thumbs up

Very exciting AAR there Neil. Bet you were glad the AA card was a big fat Zero!

A good prelude, Neil.

Let's wait for the bombing run.

I forgot all about it and was taking the butchers bill pics when I remembered I went off at height band 1. So swmbo picked the C damage card for me, very lucky indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Very exciting AAR there Neil. Bet you were glad the AA card was a big fat Zero!

Well I only have 2 Rolands's so I might include a captured DH4.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    A good prelude, Neil.

Let's wait for the bombing run.

Great AAr as usual Neil.
    I did like the twist in the tail with the agent being a woman, especially as she was as good looking as Flash's photo of her suggests. It would have been tragic for her to have gone down to Belgian Archie.
    I will keep out a sharp eye for her further activities on our side of the lines in future, you can be sure of that.
    Kyte.

Who designed this crazy mission anyway? Should be put against a wall and shot........

Same for the pilot that decided to fly it with a LFG Roland CII.

This walfisch has a climb rate of 6 versus the 3 of the Rumpler C.IV.

Hey man you fly with what you are given...what you are given. But it was far out.......

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Same for the pilot that decided to fly it with a LFG Roland CII.

This walfisch has a climb rate of 6 versus the 3 of the Rumpler C.IV.

What a nice story end, Neil I love it!
    Fantastic AAR, chap

Very exciting AAR & nice pics! What a breathtaking getaway. Now introduce me to your passenger mein herr...

Another great AAR Neil - and well-flown Lt Hasenhirn

Exciting AAR. Lady Luck was definitely on the German's side. Congrats on making it back against such odds.

Interesting twist to the pick-up. Will she return in subsequent AARs? Is a movie in the making?

Similar Missions

1. BRF Over the Trenches, The Final Months, Mission 2: Never volunteer...!
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 10:42
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 10:12
  3. BRF Over the Trenches , The Final Months . Mission 1 Where are we?
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 06:37
  4. AAR Over The Trenches: The Final Months. Mission #1 "Where Are We?"
    By MoonSylver in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 22:49
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 11:17