Ares Games

Thread: Altitude rules

Default Altitude rules

I think I forgot as its been 5 years...but got a NM copy of Famous Aces today. No altitude rules or altitude cards in the ABCD maneuver decks.....

I have the WGF rules set with the AB damage decks

Have Watch your Back coming this week and Burning Drachens in a week or so. Do I have to wait for BD to use Altitude rules?

thanks

You can pick up almost the most up to date rules here Mike, on the Files section.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=5

Only some of the climb rates have been adjusted by Ares, but they might be in the new dual packs in addition to the Wings of Glory Rules and accessories pack.
    Rob.

Hi Rob. Have the rules. All the ABCD Maneuver decks have no climb/dive cards in FA.

Guess my question is: Where are the ABCD maneuver deck Altitude cards?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    Hi Rob. Have the rules. All the ABCD Maneuver decks have no climb/dive cards in FA.

thanks
    The altitude cards for decks A to J are in Burning Drachens. Decks in later releases (and all miniature boxes) contain the appropriate altitude cards.

Since you have the Burning Drachens incoming you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    The altitude cards for decks A to J are in Burning Drachens. Decks in later releases (and all miniature boxes) contain the appropriate altitude cards.

Since you have the Burning Drachens incoming you should be fine.
    Yes. But not for a week and a half....

thanks
    Sorry Mike.
    I thought you needed the rules as well. I have a spare set of altitude cards but it would still take a week and a bit to get them to you if I sent them tomorrow, so I guess you are as well off waiting for the sets, although you could fudge it by using a straight for a dive and a stall for a climb in the meantime.
    Rob.

Yes. But not for a week and a half....
    Well, that is because the altitude rules were introduced later than the first two boxed sets.

Just play without altitude rules until you get the altitude cards then. The game still provides amazing fun.

Yes. Wife will play simpler 2d rules.

But it does make for problems for people like me who don't collect the minis.....Burning Drachens is getting very hard to find...and copies are very expensive on secondary market.

Perhaps they should release a 'altitude pack' to give people who cannot get a copy of burning drachens a chance to use altitude rules... or better yet: re-release Burning Drachens

Yes. Wife will play simpler 2d rules.

But it does make for problems for people like me who don't collect the minis.....Burning Drachens is getting very hard to find...and copies are very expensive on secondary market.

Perhaps they should release a 'altitude pack' to give people who cannot get a copy of burning drachens a chance to use altitude rules... or better yet: re-release Burning Drachens
    I do not think this is going to happen, as I think I read somewhere that Ares was not planning to release "card only" sets anymore.

All Nexus card only sets have long ago become kind of collector's items. The game moved on and it is now based on the Rules and Accessories pack and miniature boxes, which do contain the altitude cards. While Ares made Wings of Glory almost 100% compatible with Wings of War (some small changes being negligible), they are in no way the same company as Nexus and I doubt they would find it profitable to release old card only sets made by a different company again.

I would strongly recommend you to buy the Rules and Accessories pack anyway, to get up-to-date rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    I would strongly recommend you to buy the Rules and Accessories pack anyway, to get up-to-date rules.
    Yes...already have that.

I have not used the altitiude rules but have been playing since the game came out. I have the new accessories pack so have to look into allitude. You all are way ahead of me in that aspect.

I'm sure these came out with the BD set by nexus as I have the climb and dive cards for ABCD decks and I only have the first box set of rules and the BD box set. I never bought the WYB boxed rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sorry Mike.
    I thought you needed the rules as well. I have a spare set of altitude cards but it would still take a week and a bit to get them to you if I sent them tomorrow, so I guess you are as well off waiting for the sets, although you could fudge it by using a straight for a dive and a stall for a climb in the meantime.
    Rob.

So, how different are the Altitude Rules in the Wings of Glory box, as opposed to the ones that came in the original Nexus boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by rcboater View Post
    So, how different are the Altitude Rules in the Wings of Glory box, as opposed to the ones that came in the original Nexus boxes?
    Was looking at a PDF of "Burning Drachens" and there are a few subtle differences. For one, altitude starts at 0 instead of 1 in WGF. Also, I think the service ceiling are different on some aircraft.

Actually, I thought the "Burning Drachens" rules were quite well written. Not so in the first two boxed editions; "Watch your Back" and "Famous Aces".

Was looking at a PDF of "Burning Drachens" and there are a few subtle differences. For one, altitude starts at 0 instead of 1 in WGF. Also, I think the service ceiling are different on some aircraft.

Actually, I thought the "Burning Drachens" rules were quite well written. Not so in the first two boxed editions; "Watch your Back" and "Famous Aces".
    Starting altitude was changed in Wings of Glory to correspond with the number of pegs - in Wings of War altitude 0 was 1 peg, now in WG altitude 1 is 1 peg. This is also why the top altitudes are different.

Cheers,

Carl.

Similar Missions

1. Use of altitude rules
    By Angiolillo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 07-19-2021, 00:31
  2. Altitude rules?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 07:33
  3. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12
  4. altitude rules
    By va beach ace in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 19:57