Ares Games

Thread: Heavy Fighters - Immelmans in WGS

Default Heavy Fighters - Immelmans in WGS

Rationale : Heavy Fighters have a 30 degree turn rate, rather than 45.
    This means that a 3-card Immelman just doesn't reflect their limited ability here.

Optional Rule:

Heavy Fighters Immelman - Fast Straight, Climb, Reversal, Climb, Slow
    Heavy Fighters Split-S - Stall, Dive, Reversal, Dive, Fast straight.

Basically insert a climb or dive before and after the reversal.

Just stumbled upon this old thread. How is your experience with this rule?

I am testing a 4-card Immelmann/Split-S combo for heavy fighters.
    I use the reversal card twice, once in direction of the first straight, then as usual.
    Planning is as per official rules, but after the first usage, the reversal card is put back on the console to be used again

Immelmann: fastStraight+ (non)reversal(direction straightFast) + (real)reversal(direction straightSlow) + straightSlow
    Split-S: stall + (non)reversal(direction stall) + (real)reversal(direction straightFast) + straightFast

In my solo runs it seems that heavier planes get a more "realistic" disadvantage without making the game frustrating for those pilots.

Does it not depend upon the machine in question? You cannot bracket together a Mosquito and a Dornier nightfighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Does it not depend upon the machine in question?
    Probably it does, but currently I own only the Bf110 :-( ,see my thread Bf110 vs Spitfire.

Would be interesting to agree on which planes should be treated with this disadvantage.
    Would a Mosquito-Immelmann really be comparable to a Spitfire rather than a Bf110?

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Would a Mosquito-Immelmann really be comparable to a Spitfire rather than a Bf110?
    In my opinion, no - the 110 would be a much nearer match.

I'm in favour of anything which limits, or excludes, Immelmann turns in WGS; in all the games I have played, almost NO-ONE attempts a regular left or right turn - EVERYBODY Immelmanns, all the time!
    Combat footage does not show this - turns, often long and drawn out, were far more common, and I feel this is how the game should be played.

I would remove the Immelmann card from ALL multi-crew planes, including all two-seaters, and would allow only the Split-s use for single-seat fighters, to include an extra Dive as per Zoe above, to force a considerable loss of altitude.
    Then we'd get to see some actual dogfighting, instead of jousting!

But that's just me...…………..
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

I try to limit overuse Immelman by banning shooting after Immelman card (got inspired by some) and it seems working. Yoyu think twice where to do it not making target only.
    I have added the possibility to shoot targets overlapping higgher/lower in case of Immelman/Split-S to model possible vertical attack, but it occures quite rarely.

Testing that in FiS solo campaign (BoB)

Does it not depend upon the machine in question? You cannot bracket together a Mosquito and a Dornier nightfighter!
    You would probably have to look at the power-to-weight ratios and decide.
    I decided that Mossies can immelman, even though I took the 45 degree turn away from them.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I would remove the Immelmann card from ALL multi-crew planes, including all two-seaters.
    Then a heavy fighter would behave almost like a bomber. That feels too black or white.
    I welcome rules that introduce more differences between the planes (provided they are simple, pragmatic & easy-to-remember). I'd like to use different tactics with different planes or - at own risk - challenge the odds by adopting an unsuitable tactic, hoping for opponent mistakes or luck.

btw, seems that 180-degrees reversals are one of the most debated topics in WoG (along with altitude rules). I wonder how official rules will handle the issue in future versions.

I agree that Immelmanns are the maneuver of choice in the game, far over and above what one reads about in actual combat AARs.

If planes were more vulnerable while performing an Immelmann then maybe a shooting bonus at planes in the act would be called for. On your straight to set up an Immalmann you would have to announce that. If you are a target on that straight the shooter would get a bonus on that straight, the Immelmann and the following card. This would deter many from using this maneuver in close proximity to the enemy.

This I would suggest for all planes. Stopping heavy fighters from using the maneuver is more to my liking for that kind of plane.

Many ideas to choose from! I make an attempt to summarize all proposals.
    Please extend the list if I missed any playable proposal.

1) ban firing (during complete sequence or partially)

2) extend the card sequence (4 or 5 cards)

3) make the plane an easier target
    a) must announce maneuver at first card
    b) attacker has aim bonus (during complete sequence or partially)

4) remove reversal card

5) allow only split-s (no Immelmann) and extend altitude loss

6) differentiate between machines, more restrictions for certain types, e.g heavy fighters

Well at least the new Dornier Do.17Z-10 nightfighter has no 'reverse card' so it cannot perform an Immelmann turn.

Well at least the new Dornier Do.17Z-10 nightfighter has no 'reverse card' so it cannot perform an Immelmann turn.
    As it shouldn't; it's still basically a fast bomber.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 scale Heavy Bomber stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2018, 14:24
  2. Another 1/200 Heavy Bomber
    By pflanzer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 11:18
  3. Heavy Metal Game Promotion (303)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 18:56
  4. Thoughts about Immelmans and Split-S
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 10:02
  5. My second one: the Uniform is getting heavy.
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 10:18