Ares Games

Thread: Awards for conventions or Campaigns

Default Awards for conventions or Campaigns

An idea occurred to me last night while putting things together for next weekend's con. I really cool thing to have done would be to make up some awards on paper. Make one each for British, French & German pilots and print them out on some good heavy stock paper. Have them look similar to what a period citation might be leaving spaces for the pilot's name and number of kills.
    Its' one of those little things that can turn a good game into a memorable one.
    Unfortunately, I won't have time to do it for this con; maybe next time.

Pooh

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

oh, for my small group of gaming friends from school, I made pieces of flair on facebook for various awards to give to people as they achieved kills and feats of valour etc. I also have started making pilot awards for the player that fits the traits of a certain historical pilot (eg. Guynemer Award for good sportsmanship/chivalry/mercy). oh, and also a (beaver) damn you archibald award for good AA gunnery.

Its a neat thing, and they get a kick out of it

For one WW1 aerial game many moons ago we cast some 'VCs' and 'Blue Max's' out of old wargames figures and handed them out, complete with medal ribbon. That went down a treat.

We also kept a score board up to date so players returning throughout the day could add to their overall scores, the winner getting an even larger medal. I seem to recall a 9 year old girl managed the highest kill rate of the day.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up Awards for conventions or Campaigns

Tim!
    Interesting idea, maybe some one will come up with something and post in the files section!

Rich

Rich,

If I'd come up with the idea a few weeks earlier I'd have done it for the con this weekend. As is, I'm just too buried with stuff to make it happen. Maybe later in the summer when (and if) things quiet down a bit.

BTW: Rich, I'm going to be in Virginia Beach from Aug.1 to 7. I already know about the Military Air Museum, (the fighter factory is just down the street from it, isn't it?). What other cool places are there near by. I was there 2 years ago at my last family reunion and found the air museum almost by accident. The rest of the family has lots of small children so tended to go to turisty place the kids enjoy.

Pooh

There not cheap, but Millitary Issue .com has some replica medals from WWI.

Hi Col.
    It might be worth looking at Bigburymint.com They make replica medals in miniature at a reasonable price.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Kieth,

I was thinking more in the line of a paper certificate or citation. They would be easier to do and could be personalized by leaving blanks for the recipients name, number of kills etc.
    It would also be cheaper in that all one would need to get would be some high quality paper.

Pooh

Thumbs up

Tim! and Guys!
    your idea for a paper certificate is great. I have them for playing in or winning games they go back over 35 years.

Rich

BTW Tim the NAM is in Virginia Beach the Fighter Factory is in Suffolk, Va it takes a good hour to get out there from the Beach. Worth the drive and ask to see in the second hanger. That is where they have the I-16 on snow skies plus the Me-108, Me-208, the Hurricane they found in Russia and others.
    Rich

Spumone

How about a small medal in paper that would slide onto the post of a miniature stand?
    Similar to the smoke and flame markers, it would identify a skilled pilot on the field.
    For paper users (like me), a card the same size as the plane (43x67mm IIRC) with a
    tab sticking out showing a medal. It would sit under the plane card without slowing
    play.
    Hmm. I'll try to make some. I have a few medals in Illustrator from Aerodrome days.

We also had a club roster on the wall and added roundels or iron crosses for each kill
    a player scored.
    There was some fierce competition as I recall...

Similar Missions

1. Origins Awards 2010
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 05:58