Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench this April 2013?

Default What's on your workbench this April 2013?

Just pulled these guys out of the prime room, need a few decals this month!

And a few for Hunter . . .

And a cruise is on the schedule as well . . .

And its only the 1st!!!!

Hang it all David.
    Hangers!
    I wonder where that idea came from?
    Rob.

Gentlemen,
    I feel completely inadequate. My projects are the same ones I started last fall, and I thought one plane a month would be an acceptable completion rate (setting a blistering pace, I know).

I just started up my "4th" plane project, five months behind schedule: My 4th Project - Sopwith Camel

Clipper, your production rate is unbelievable, and makes my efforts insignificant.

Mike:-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I feel completely inadequate. My projects are the same ones I started last fall, and I thought one plane a month would be an acceptable completion rate (setting a blistering pace, I know).

I just started up my "4th" plane project, five months behind schedule: My 4th Project - Sopwith Camel

Clipper, your production rate is unbelievable, and makes my efforts insignificant.

Mike, it isn't just you who feels inadequate. Clipper's production rate makes everyones efforts insignificant.

I console myself that at least I sleep during the evening.

And on the workbench fr this month -

12 new vessels for my Cod War game at Salute on the 20th
    6 river boats and coastal steamers for my 1/600 WW1 "Steamer Wars" project, along with four 1/300 seaplanes
    Five new battleships that I'm painting up for Mongoose to use in their publicity shots for "Victory at Sea"
    A Sopwith Baby and a "Quirk" (finishing off from March)
    and maybe a start on my "War Rocket" collection, or finishing off 30 or so medieval cogs for my 100 years war naval project.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    ..., or finishing off 30 or so medieval cogs for my 100 years war naval project.
    What rules do you use for HYW naval?
    karl

Gentlemen,

I know what you mean Mike - I did 20 aircraft in 20 days in January whilst on holidays and it felt like I was working at it 10 hours a day.

To call the production rate achieved by David and his elves 'prodigous' is an understatement!

Am I the only one who asks himself "does Clipper have anything else to do with his days *besides* Build Models?".... :)

Also: How often does he do one thing; then, while that thing is drying, move on to another thing? For ex.: While the glue on the _Furious_ mini is drying, he glues the fuselage together on another plane; then while *that's* drying, he moves to painting something else; etc.

I suspect Clipper has figured out, if not perfected, the art of multi-tasking. :)

Insignificant? Useless? every mini is important! When I was a baby clipper I took tiny steps, then I discovered elves. I became obsessed with oppressing them and intimidating them, I just got good at it! : ) Seriously I have a very heavy and often emotional job, lots of counseling, medical messinesses and all kinds of crazy hours I am on call. I developed a mind for scanning and organizing production steps at strange times and logging them for access later. I will work several days in a row, then crash and build/rest. I call it therapy. It keeps me busy doing constructive things. I have friends who spend time destroying things but their neighbors complain more than mine do. Having worked in many technical fields I have gleaned a few tricks for mass producing things . . . the bottom line is to enjoy the process in ones or twos or more. The artistry and the creativity is king, the minis are the byproduct. As for the game it is fun to play, the planes are cool, but the real gain here are friendships and comradeship! So get back building, collecting, gaming!

I hope to be able to finish a gunbus and a pair of Handley-Page 0/400's this month.

Smile

Apart from the Shapeways Pup which somehow avoided completion in April I have 6 WW2 Skypilot diecast aircraft to convert to either Aussie Aircraft or otherwise make different with Wing or Tail flashes cause they only made one model type of each. Hence I have 2 Warhawks, 2 Corsairs & 2 Lightenings that are identical to each other with ID numbers/letters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Insignificant? Useless? every mini is important! When I was a baby clipper I took tiny steps, then I discovered elves. I became obsessed with oppressing them and intimidating them, I just got good at it! : ) Seriously I have a very heavy and often emotional job, lots of counseling, medical messinesses and all kinds of crazy hours I am on call. I developed a mind for scanning and organizing production steps at strange times and logging them for access later. I will work several days in a row, then crash and build/rest. I call it therapy. It keeps me busy doing constructive things. I have friends who spend time destroying things but their neighbors complain more than mine do. Having worked in many technical fields I have gleaned a few tricks for mass producing things . . . the bottom line is to enjoy the process in ones or twos or more. The artistry and the creativity is king, the minis are the byproduct. As for the game it is fun to play, the planes are cool, but the real gain here are friendships and comradeship! So get back building, collecting, gaming!

Here, here! I would rep you but the powers that be have decreed I have already given you enough at this time!

I find that making and painting my own models a very relaxing way to spend my spare time. The fact that I can actually use them to play WGF and WGS is a bonus.

For April I still have the leftovers from March:

1/144 WGF:
    1 x Albatros D.II (Skytrex)
    2 x Airco DH.5 (Shapeways)
    2 x Anti-aircraft trucks (Skytrex)

1/200 WGS:
    2 x Messerschmitt Bf109F (Air 200)
    2 x Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-3 (Air 200)
    2 x Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 (Air 200)
    4 x Blenheim Mk.IV (Helmet, Peter Planes)
    2 x Martin 167F (Shapeways)
    3 x Douglas SBD Dauntless (AIM)

WGS Repaints:
    2 x Belgian Hurricanes to be repainted 3 Sqn RAAF Western Desert
    2 x Kawasaki Ki-61 to be remodelled as Ki-100s

I'll push my Fw 190A's to the front of the queue, just for something different. Tunisian schemes I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	II_JG2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	84676

Name:	JG2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	84675

After an unproductive March (Norovirus and ski holiday to blame) I'm still working on Jasta 35b. I got sidetracked by adding in Rudolf Starks d.vii. I've had to hide Jasta 23b away as I was trying to work on too much at once and getting nowhere.

Ian

Well I finished my SAGA Scotts 6 point warband. Now busy repainting 2 x Beafighter in Australian markings and re-painting 2 x Desert Me110 into Battle of Britain Me110's
    and 3 x Gloster Gladiators into Australian ones No2 Sqn (as Carl did).

Got a few things.

2 x shapeways SPAD SVIIs of 19 sqn RFC
    2 x shapeways Pfalz DIIIs of Jasta 16b
    2 x repaint Hurricanes of No. 232 RAF (Sumatra)
    2 x repaint P-40Es of No.75 RAAF (Port Moresbey & Milne Bay)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Well I finished my SAGA Scotts 6 point warband. Now busy repainting 2 x Beafighter in Australian markings and re-painting 2 x Desert Me110 into Battle of Britain Me110's
    and 3 x Gloster Gladiators into Australian ones No2 Sqn (as Carl did).
    Hi Alastair,

Can't wait to see your RAAF Gladdies and Beaufighters. So you are doing your desert Gladiators as 3 Sqn RAAF, which unit have you chosen for the Beaufighters?

Cheers,

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskysierra View Post
    Got a few things.

2 x shapeways SPAD SVIIs of 19 sqn RFC
    2 x shapeways Pfalz DIIIs of Jasta 16b
    2 x repaint Hurricanes of No. 232 RAF (Sumatra)
    2 x repaint P-40Es of No.75 RAAF (Port Moresbey & Milne Bay)
    Hi Wayne, looking forward to seeing your aircraft when you are done. We must get a game going at Fastbreak sometime soon as our schedules allow.

Cheers,

Carl

Just a few planes for the Eastern Front/Russian Civil War/Soviet-Polish war
    1 x Spad A2
    2 x Nieuport 17
    1 x Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    1 x Breugeut 14
    1 x Arrytate
    1 x Bristol F.2. fighter
    1 x Fokker DR1 (probably not historical but looks good I think)
    1 x Sopwith Triplane
    1 x Albatros J1
    and possibly a Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel if I have time.
    Unusually for me I think I will get the bulk of these planes finished by the end of the month.
    Don

I just finished 4 Shapeways Hanriots this week. On the work bench are two Shapeways Dolphins to go with the 2 Reveiresco kits I've already built. A big box of Ares goodness arrived on Tuesday and 4 of the Spads have been primed and will be repainted into an American squadron. Plus, to get ready for the Bloody Barons Bosworth game my buddy Dave and I are putting on at Enfilade there is the new Perry figure of Richard III bursting out of the car park that needs paint and attention. For our game, Richard's famous line about a horse and a kingdom gets changed to, "Keep me out of the car park, lads!"

Two Shapeways Vickers FB5s and a SRAM Pfalz E.II and Ponnier nearly finished, then some more Shapeways stuff I forgot I had - DH2s, Caudrons, BE2 ....

Just a progress of March projects as you can see below. PZL P11, I 16, Oeffags of Kosciuszko Squadron and - please do not shoot at me - a Hurry "Tobruk Defender" with some strange markings, as a fantasy Nexus Hurricane easy repaint with Dom's British (inappropriate) WWI roundels.

Name:	20130407_184318_1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	85025

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Just a few planes for the Eastern Front/Russian Civil War/Soviet-Polish war
    1 x Spad A2
    2 x Nieuport 17
    1 x Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    1 x Breugeut 14
    1 x Arrytate
    1 x Bristol F.2. fighter
    1 x Fokker DR1 (probably not historical but looks good I think)
    1 x Sopwith Triplane
    1 x Albatros J1
    and possibly a Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel if I have time.
    Unusually for me I think I will get the bulk of these planes finished by the end of the month.
    Don
    Cool!

First of the last . . . Build Zebra Zeppelin Type P is underway, (5) 1/214 scale and (3) 1/144 scale will round out the program for now.

Making room for bigger and better projects . . .

So Clipper's dark secret is out at last.
    Zeps that are going to deliver biological warfare.
    Now we know where the epedemic of 1918 to 19 originated.
    Clipper must have some Dark Elves working for him!

Here is the proof, collected by our intrepid reporter.

Name:	Biological..jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	85427

Rob.

Default Progress on the bench

My remaining two 1/200 Hobby Master Ju 52s are almost done - painted in Legion Kondor K./88 colours and waiting for decals.

Before........

Name:	JU52 1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	85450

and after.

Name:	Ju52 K88 LK.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	85451

At this rate April may prove more productive than March.

RATS!
    No -- that box is for flu; if it were for hantavirus, rabies, or something like that.... :)

Full-er disclosure:

Lysol laced zeppelins to clean up the world, yeah that's it . . . .

I've received a Handley page 0/400, a Staaken zeppelin and 4 AA trucks from red eagles :

An evening of painting . . . gotta keep on the elves ya know!

After a bit of quick modification, my hangers are finally in the paint shop.

Name:	DSC_3476.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	85498

Name:	DSC_3475.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	85497

Rob.

Rob, do you stick to the game scale or they are smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Rob, do you stick to the game scale or they are smaller?
    These are about 20mm scale in actual fact. however by cutting out the front door and windows and adding hanger doors, made from plasticard, I will convert them into 144 scale. The doors are just wide enough to get my Camels in and out.
    In the main, I use a variety of scales, depending on the circumstances, and size of the object. For instance I have ships at 1:2400 for high level recon. and 1:800 for medium level of bombing capital ships. For a low level torpedo attack I use 1:200 but this is mostly just for photographic close ups. I have one tank for each country at full 144 scale for photographing the bomb damage close up. It is really a matter of what fits the scenario.
    All those buildings that every one liked behind the Aerodrome in the OTT scenario were 15 mm ACW, but they just looked right for the middle distance shots.
    Hope that answers your question without too much complication.
    Rob.

Nice hangers indeed! I'm tempted to acquire some more vintage vehicles to park in the airfield . . . and a great place to use up some of these people hanging around . . .

Nice hangers indeed! I'm tempted to acquire some more vintage vehicles to park in the airfield . . . and a great place to use up some of these people hanging around . . .
    Talking of people hanging around Dave, do you have any source for 144 figures that may be used as ground crew. I remember a mention somewhere of railway figures but can't find the post.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-11-2013 at 05:56.

The Preiser stuff is here: http://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_367.aspx

WW2 and modern, but at that scale many of them might work well enough.
    Last edited by IRM; 04-11-2013 at 03:47.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    The Preiser stuff is here: http://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_367.aspx

WW2 and modern, but at that scale many of them might work well enough.
    They had just the thing Iain. The problem was that they have a minimum order of $100 for International orders and all three sets only came to $39.
    Thanks for trying anyway.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    They had just the thing Iain. The problem was that they have a minimum order of $100 for International orders and all three sets only came to $39.
    Thanks for trying anyway.
    Rob.
    Try here Rob.
    Preiser stuff UK

Just landed a few of these packages, quite handy people working with brooms, shovels and activities that might be found on an airfield or on an aircraft carrier . . . will need a bit of paint touch up, but should serve very well. N scale Utility Workers of all things! Found at a local model railroad shop, like to support all kinds of madness . . .

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    Try here Rob.
    Preiser stuff UK
    Thanks Chris.
    They are currently out of stock.
    Looks as if I am thwarted again.
    Rob.

My next projects are to repaint my new Lothar Von Richthofen's Dr.I to become Steinhauser's plane, plus I've bought a couple of packs of 10mm infantry models, one pack of German machine gunners and one pack of French riflemen, which was strange as I ordered French machine gunners, I'll be buying a pack of German riflemen and French machine gunners. These little chaps will be used to defend objectives in my games, so once they're completed they'll be displayed on the forum.

3 Aviatik DrI's have been circling my bench, must be built . . . ! Since I have 3 primed Shapeways DI's already and 3 Ares DI's on approach I think I will bow to elvish pressure and do a conversion or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks Chris.
    They are currently out of stock.
    Looks as if I am thwarted again.
    Rob.
    Rob, how many of these figurines do you want? I bought some hundreds of them made of white plastic in China for 10 USD or so and use them as pilots and gunners in my planes. If you remember my Gotha and Caproni crews - there they are. I can send a pack of them to you on Monday, no problem.
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Rob, how many of these figurines do you want? I bought some hundreds of them made of white plastic in China for 10 USD or so and use them as pilots and gunners in my planes. If you remember my Gotha and Caproni crews - there they are. I can send a pack of them to you on Monday, no problem.
    Andy.
    Can you please send me their website details Andrzej.

I have searched my ebay history and here is what it shows, Mark:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Unpainte...E:L:OC:US:3160

There you can find the seller and his site - no idea if he/she sells the figures nowadays.

Jan AKA Watchdog bought them as well. If you can not buy them on your own, I'll be happy to share my figs with you as well.

Thankyou Andrzej that's very generous of you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 22:43
  2. What's on your workbench this March.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 13:34
  3. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  4. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58