Ares Games

Thread: 1/144th jumped in with eyes closed

Default 1/144th jumped in with eyes closed

Well I've bit the bullet and as the trader with WW1 WoG planes did not turn up for Call to Muster, my custom went on purchasing some nice Me109's, Junkers 87's, Spitfires and Hurricanes. 12 planes in all. All in 1/144th scale by Revell and all for £24. What a way to kick start your WW2 game experience. Now where can I buy a coastal mat for Battle of Britain games.....?

watch this space..as there is more to come.

Neil

Neil you do know that the Official WW2 minis are 1/200 ?
    I know there is a big discussion on the two scales and I believe the Zvezda models are also in 1/144, but Im sure that someone more up to the WW2 side will confirm or not.
    I have some WW2 kit and got a couple of 110 on order for my BoB
    I think I need to quantify this post.
    When I started with the WW2 kit I didnt bother to look and just took it for granted that it was same scale as the WW1, bit of a shock when I bought some official minis and saw the difference is all

Yes I know the official scale is 1/200th I only want this for my own games as I am more interested in WW1 side of the game. Just took the plunge and at £2/plane thought it was a good investment without breaking the bank.

Well, there's a healthy population of 1/144th WGS players here, so your not alone.
    As for the mat, check out CappyTom's: Start Here, and keep looking
    It's made by Iberian Shadow
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 03-24-2013 at 06:45.

I too got hooked for the 1/144 scale. F-Toys have mantg planes in that scale. I have bouight from a place in Cali her in the states and have had good service. I thing just another option for the Wings game.

Well done Neil, another recruit for the dark side. You can get mats from 12-7 but the postage killed that idea for me. I ordered some from Military simulations in Australia and although they have turned up, I have not opened them yet. How is that for restraint??? Actually it is because I have been too busy at work so I am holding them back as an Easter reward! BTW: playing BoB in 1/144 is excellent. I have pix of my BoB 1/144 (& others) in my photo sections if you want to have a look.

Well I don't think I will be getting seriously involved with the WW2 side, hence my going for the 1/144th scale models I bought at the Middlesbrough show last weekend. I have enough to play what I want to play. 3 spitfires, 3 hurricanes, 4 Me109's and 2 Ju87's. All for £24. Can't get cheaper than that for me. So Battle of Britain is the part I am interested in and I have plenty of scope with what I have bought to play some really interesting games. WW1 is my main interest area and where I spend most of my spare cash. Al I need know is the I deck for the Ju87 and I'm up and running...oh and build and paint the models too. I'll get there some day.

Well that's 1 ME109 and 1 Spitfire done. My eyes aren't as good as they were so its took me some time. Plus I only had super glue and that didn't work to well on the ME109. I managed to purchase some bottled glue and it works a treat. Spitfire finished in half the time. I think a Hurricane next and 1 more ME109 before I try a game of WGS. (plus I have to paint them too!)

As you I saw an F-Toy in my local hobby shop and picked it up. Then I bougt a few at a convention I went to. I found a good source for F-Toys and now have about 60 of them. My latest was the Early Jets and they are really nice. Have put 2 of them together. 1 Me262B (night fighter) & Mig 15 (North Vietnamese camo). They are pretty nice looking models.

Similar Missions

1. Feast your eyes on this!
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 02:35
  2. Need eyes on the ground in the Denver CO. area!
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 19:28
  3. 1/144th Models...
    By pistonpopper in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 11:36
  4. WWI colour photos in links referred to an apparently closed web site
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 06:02