Ares Games

Thread: How much do models add?

often

Default How much do models add?

I know this might have been asked before, but how much does using the models actually add to the game, to you?

I'm thinking about getting some of the older card boxes (the original ones) as it seems like it'd be easier to transport/play with. Do you think adding models adds something that significantly improves the play experience?

To start, should I just get a few planes and the rules?

I got the starter for the WoG WWII and think that was a good deal, but I'd really like the WWI stuff too (I used to play the original Red Baron a lot when i was a kid).

Yes. Get yourself a Dual Pack and try the game with miniatures. It changes the way you view the game.

Playing without miniatures is like looking at a Bunny in a Burka

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Playing without miniatures is like looking at a Bunny in a Burka

Don't know about that... but add a ton to the game...

The minis are everything in this game.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stuart
    Sorties Flown

I was asking the same sort of questions back when the WoW minis were released because I already had the base game sets with cards.

Minis are like a drug - and if you are a sucker for them (you can tell by other stuff you own), you will cave in sooner or later. If you are ambivalent, then the game is still awesome and looks good with just the cards.

The cards make it slightly easier to play (depending on accessories and rules - eg altitude) as they are a little less fiddly and overlaps are just overlaps.

The other original advantage of minis was having maneuver decks for all the planes you want to fly, eg FA came with a few Fokker DR1 cards but only one deck, so you could only fly one at a time - but not a problem if you are happy printing your own cards.

Never played with just cards, always used and liked the mins.

Minis add a great visual appeal to an already fun game & are a great "side" hobby in & of themselves. But you can still have a lot of fun just with cards IMO.

With minis on the table it's easier to catch new players.

The mini's make the game for me.

Mini's are the game,in my humble opinion.

Thumbs up

I have never played the game with just Cards as the minis are just so atmospheric.
    Bet once you play with a couple you wont stop at just those. They are really addictive. Check out some of the AAR's to see how the models add to the fun!.

often

Quote Originally Posted by NZgunner View Post
    I was asking the same sort of questions back when the WoW minis were released because I already had the base game sets with cards.

Minis are like a drug - and if you are a sucker for them (you can tell by other stuff you own), you will cave in sooner or later. If you are ambivalent, then the game is still awesome and looks good with just the cards.

The cards make it slightly easier to play (depending on accessories and rules - eg altitude) as they are a little less fiddly and overlaps are just overlaps.

The other original advantage of minis was having maneuver decks for all the planes you want to fly, eg FA came with a few Fokker DR1 cards but only one deck, so you could only fly one at a time - but not a problem if you are happy printing your own cards.
    Thanks to everyone who replied so far (keep them coming)... It's always nice to see a positive online community (some of the others I've been a part of have been super negative... about... everything...), so thanks for all the kind words.

I ran a test at home. I used the wings of glory WWII starter set without the planes and tested how it "felt" and noticed a difference. It turns out, after thinking about what NZgunner said (and others here), that I'm a sucker for minis. I play Warmachine/Hordes, and after looking over most of my other games, they're all full of miniatures (and that's a big part of why I enjoy the games). I realized that the image of The Bloody Red Baron's triplane isn't quite the same as having a little red Fokker Dr. I on the table. And besides, if I'm going to fly one of those, it's going to be blood red (Well, or yellow, I was a fan of his brother's plane too... didn't he fly a yellow one sometimes too?).

I decided to trade in a bunch of my unused heroclix (heh, see a theme) to get some store credit at CSI so I could pick up some of the new wings of glory models (I'm excited about the new rulebook, as the one for WWII was organized very well, and I understand the book for the wings of war lines weren't that easy to find stuff in, because they added things like balloon bursting into the expansions).

I'm a bit worried I won't have enough "variability" to do a ton of different stuff, but if the original starters only allowed you to have one or two of each maneuver deck, I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway (from what I understand the stats for most of the planes of the same type, E.G., Dr. I, were the same, just with different paint schemes). And, also, from what I gather it's difficult to handle more than 4 or so planes at once (which I'm perfectly OK with). I tried the X-Wing minis game, and having 5 planes on the board on my side didn't feel all that fun, as they all felt very "samey" (the same plane with subtly different skills). Also, planning only one move in advance didn't strike me as a ton of fun (doing 3, or rolling 2 seems to be much cooler).

Welcome to the club of plastic addicts. You'll have a blast with them.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kubajs View Post
    With minis on the table it's easier to catch new players.
    This echoes my thoughts exactly. Yes, you can play just fine with the cards (and don't forget that there are cards out there for planes that aren't officially released models yet) but minis will always draw the interest of people.

I have never played the game with just cards either. The minis make the game for me.

You all sound like a bunch of mini addicts.....hey wait, that's me too....

I've often played with cards only when I've been away on work trips. Its good to be able to stick just about everything you'll need into a stripped out "watch Your Back" box

How much do models add
    Well, they add meat to potato

I started with Deluxe Set and just wanted to have more and more game components. So I bought WYB and two boosters. After half and year, I understood that card planes are not as atractive as minis. So i sold them and bought another minis

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I have never played the game with just cards either. The minis make the game for me.

You all sound like a bunch of mini addicts.....hey wait, that's me too....
    That describes my experience to a 'T'.

Cards are fun...minis are fun...cards and minis are fun.

Other planes (from Shapeways, SRAM, etc) are fun to flesh out those missing from Nexus/Ares offerings.

Repaints of available minis are proving to be a very important part of the growing squadrons.

Hmmmm...haven't seen anyone talking about repainting cards???? Yet.

Opportunity abounds.

I have over 50 planes and I've never played the game. I will be remedying that soon though. And when I do, it will be with the planes. There's something a bit more grown up about pushing a small model around a table rather than a thin piece of card. :embarass: (Says the 12 year old hiding inside a 50 year old body )

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    I have over 50 planes and I've never played the game. I will be remedying that soon though. And when I do, it will be with the planes. There's something a bit more grown up about pushing a small model around a table rather than a thin piece of card. :embarass: (Says the 12 year old hiding inside a 50 year old body )
    Addicted and delusional...

Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Hmmmm...haven't seen anyone talking about repainting cards???? Yet.
    Well, that's pretty much what Max, Guntruck and others do with Photoshop/Corel Draw et al.
    BTW: Hows the snow down your way, Thomas?
    Karl

Minority Report: I can take-or-leave the minis. Yes, they're pretty; but pretty minis have never been able to disguise Rubbish game mechanics (of which _WoG_ fortunately does not suffer, save perhaps in the altitude department), and they tend to get in each other's way on the mapsheet, and they tend to be really cumbersome to move and store.

I have to agree with many here that the minis make the game more intresting and give a different view when playing.

I started with minis, but have been buying card decks to supplement and for travel. I have been introducing folks to the game, and they love the minis. I think now that all of us have been playing for a bit, we could easily have a good time with just cards. The minis, however, helped with the initial interest, I truly believe.

often

Minis will probably be helpful... my game group plays mainly gateway games (haven't been able to get many of them past the deckbuilders and pandemic... all they want to play lately is deckbuilding games.. ). Some of them play X-Wing miniatures game, but that game just didn't grab me. Most of us play other minis games (Warmachine, a few 40k players ... .. a couple pathfinder guys), so I think I could grab them with the planes. I need to figure out how you guys do the gimbal stands, as those look amazingly cool. I did order some of the acrylic fire templates, because they also look realllllyyyy cool.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by often View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied so far (keep them coming)... It's always nice to see a positive online community (some of the others I've been a part of have been super negative... about... everything...), so thanks for all the kind words.

I ran a test at home. I used the wings of glory WWII starter set without the planes and tested how it "felt" and noticed a difference. It turns out, after thinking about what NZgunner said (and others here), that I'm a sucker for minis. I play Warmachine/Hordes, and after looking over most of my other games, they're all full of miniatures (and that's a big part of why I enjoy the games). I realized that the image of The Bloody Red Baron's triplane isn't quite the same as having a little red Fokker Dr. I on the table. And besides, if I'm going to fly one of those, it's going to be blood red (Well, or yellow, I was a fan of his brother's plane too... didn't he fly a yellow one sometimes too?).

I decided to trade in a bunch of my unused heroclix (heh, see a theme) to get some store credit at CSI so I could pick up some of the new wings of glory models (I'm excited about the new rulebook, as the one for WWII was organized very well, and I understand the book for the wings of war lines weren't that easy to find stuff in, because they added things like balloon bursting into the expansions).

I'm a bit worried I won't have enough "variability" to do a ton of different stuff, but if the original starters only allowed you to have one or two of each maneuver deck, I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway (from what I understand the stats for most of the planes of the same type, E.G., Dr. I, were the same, just with different paint schemes). And, also, from what I gather it's difficult to handle more than 4 or so planes at once (which I'm perfectly OK with). I tried the X-Wing minis game, and having 5 planes on the board on my side didn't feel all that fun, as they all felt very "samey" (the same plane with subtly different skills). Also, planning only one move in advance didn't strike me as a ton of fun (doing 3, or rolling 2 seems to be much cooler).
    Hi Chris!
    One of the great things about the WW1 WoG game is that the games designers have given manouver decks to reflect what the actual Aircraft could do. E.G. Sopwith Camel has hard RH 90 o Turn but a more gentle LH one. Its speed is greater than the Fokker Dr.1 which has tight turns etc whilst the SE 5a is super fast with sideslips but no tight turns.
    The Damage points also reflect the strength.

As for Lothar von Richtofen yes indeed he did fly a Yellow fuselarge & winged Triplane & there is now a new model recently released of his aircraft (in the new Series One reprints!)
    Pic attached.

Name:  <acronym title=WGF Series 1 b.jpg Views: 168 Size: 228.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WGF Series One a.jpg Views: 157 Size: 274.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Similar Missions

1. New models
    By Doug in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 09:13
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 13:59
  3. WoW & Dow models
    By Doug in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:15
  4. Toronto: Models