Ares Games

Thread: WGF 1914-17 - 1/144 Skytrex BE.2, Royal Flying Corps

Default WGF 1914-17 - 1/144 Skytrex BE.2, Royal Flying Corps

Burned the midnight oil and finished off another 1/144 Skytrex (Red Eagle) miniature - a two seat BE.2 in the colours of the Royal Flying Corps. In front-line service from the very start of the First World War, the Bleriot Experimental 2 (so-called because it had a tractor arrangement like other Bleriot types) was used as a reconnaissance aircraft and light bomber. It was exceedingly stable in flight, which was a benefit in training, reconnaissance and artillery direction work, but made it something of a sitting duck in air to air combat. This BE.2 is intended as a generic example able to be slotted in to any squadron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 BE2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	82700

Once the Fokker E.III became operational the BE.2 was known as 'Fokker Fodder'. To matters worse, as was often the case with these early aircraft, the pilot sat in the rear cockpit and the observer in the front seat. Even when they were armed with a machine gun mounted behind the observer, he had to shoot around the pilot limiting his field of fire already restricted by struts and wings. The BE.2 soldiered on in several variants, the type even shooting down five German airships flying home defense duties in late 1916.

Name:	4 BE2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	82699

Thoroughly obselete by 1917, the final blow to the BE.2 came during 'Bloody April' when 60 of these aircraft were shot down over the Western Front. Withdrawn from the Western Front, the BE.2 continued to prove useful for training and other second line roles until the end of the war.

Name:	1 BE2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	82702

The Official 'Unofficial' Stats Committee have given the BE.2c version the following WGF statistics - manouver deck XC, armament -/B, 10 damage points, top altitude 8, climb rate 6.

Name:	2 BE2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	82701

Rudder flashes are hand painted, roundels are 'Shed Decals', 30" on the fuselage and 84" on the wings. I'm looking forward to getting the BE.2 out on the table on the near future.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-01-2013 at 02:32.

Very nice job there Carl
    Well done.
    Linz

I have wanted to build one of these for my collection ever since I started playing WGF.

When I was a kid I watched the BBC series 'Wings' following the 'adventures' of a RFC BE.2 squadron.

In this scene the character Sgt Alan Farmer has mounted a Lewis gun firing obliquely to the side past the propeller, just as Lanoe Hawker actually did in 1915 - http://youtu.be/Jesjp8aFD7g

The Australian observer ace Hudson Fysh mounted a Lewis gun on the top wing of his BE.2 in Palestine - proved quite a shock to the German two seaters when the lumbering old BE.2 came straight at them gun blazing!

Nice model Carl, ARES should produce one

I like this camo, very nice job Carl!!

Great looking plane there Carl, I hope to see it action in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by 144sram View Post
    I like this camo, very nice job Carl!!
    Nothing says 'Early War' like a clear doped linen (CDL) finish.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I have wanted to build one of these for my collection ever since I started playing WGF.

When I was a kid I watched the BBC series 'Wings' following the 'adventures' of a RFC BE.2 squadron.

In this scene the character Sgt Alan Farmer has mounted a Lewis gun firing obliquely to the side past the propeller, just as Lanoe Hawker actually did in 1915 - http://youtu.be/Jesjp8aFD7g

The Australian observer ace Hudson Fysh mounted a Lewis gun on the top wing of his BE.2 in Palestine - proved quite a shock to the German two seaters when the lumbering old BE.2 came straight at them gun blazing!
    G'day Carl!
    Loverly job on an early model BE 2 with the ash skids on the landing gear.
    I really enjoyed the BBC series Wings & managed to "snag" a DVD set from Amazon UK & often watch an episode to get a early war Fix. Great pity they did not do the next series as the plan was to give our heros Pups!

I did 2 Shapeways BE 2c's based on the Wings Aircraft with one having the angled Lewis on the LH lower wing.
    Pics attached in case you havnt seen them before.

Name:	<acronym title=WGF BE2c 1.jpg  Views: 51  Size: 155.3 KB  ID: 82987" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF BE2c 3A.jpg  Views: 51  Size: 66.8 KB  ID: 82988" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Interesting to note the differences in the models.
    Not that either are `wrong`, its just that the Red Eagle/Skytrex model is a BE2a while the Shapeways is a BE2c.
    I think they also do a BE2e and BE12 as well now!

Great BE.2c's Barry, I had not seen them before.

Looking these aircraft you can see the progression from the BE.2a to the BE.2c that eventually leads to the development of the RE.8.

I love my RE.8, and haven't had her out in a while So begins another AAR lol.

Great looking planes! Nice handywork there.

A very well done and informative expose on the BE aircraft Carl.
    Thanks for that. I think we will all see more of these aircraft in all their incarnations as the early war AARs start to appear.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A very well done and informative expose on the BE aircraft Carl.
    Thanks for that. I think we will all see more of these aircraft in all their incarnations as the early war AARs start to appear.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I hope so. I am thinking about letting the observer use a rifle (short range only with one card) using the B deck ignoring numbers and counting special damage only.

Not very fair but imagine the smile on the BE.2 player's face if he managed to shoot down an Eindecker with a 'Boom' card!
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-01-2013 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks Rob, I hope so. I am thinking about letting the observer use a rifle (short range only) using the B deck ignoring numbers and counting special damage only.

Not very fair but imagine the smile on the BE.2 player's face if he managed to shoot down an Eindecker with a 'Boom' card!

Similar Missions

1. The Royal Flying Corps 1914-18 - a web site
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 22:55
  2. WGFO: Royal Flying Corps Handbook 1914-1918
    By seagull in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 11:40
  3. WGFB: Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:41
  4. WGFE: Royal Flying Corps in World War One, The (A&A)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:05
  5. Happy Birthday to the Royal Flying Corps
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 10:40