Ares Games

Thread: Ace Skill Cards

Default Ace Skill Cards

I'm trying to make a nice way for players to keep track of what skills they have and when they can be used during the game turn. I thought using a card would keep with the theme of the game. This is what I've come up with so far.

The question is, should I bother with making a back for the card? If so, what should be on it? Right now I'm thinking just some graphics with the Ace Skill name grayed out???

Please give me some feedback and let me know what you think as there are quite a few cards to make if I go this route!
    Attached Images

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

That is excellent! I would like to know what design program your using so that I could make some cards for our own specialized Ace skills that we're using.

Thanks David. I use Adobe Photoshop to make all my graphics for the site. The bulk of the images come from actual game artwork. This card's background and the background behind the user names here on the site are all card backs from both Wings of War and Dawn of War. I'm not quite good enough to do the artwork, but I'm pretty good at tweaking and combing stuff that is already done. I guess I have the eye, but not the talent to with it!

Okay, did a little more work on them...
    Attached Images

Really cool!
    But should they really by specific to one side?

I will be making a German version of them as well. The British roundel is the only allied one I plane to make though.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

They look great. I am looking forward to using them myself.

Thanks,
    Christoph

Yeah well what I meant was, why not make one that belongs to neither/both sides :P

I'm not quite that good an artist... so I just used the backs of the cards that are already out there. It's not very hard to just swap out the background layer to a German one though.

Although, some type of nose art could look really cool too! The roundel would need to be removed and the metal texture recreated in it's place. Then a suitable nose art piece dropped in it's place that would work for both sides.... why don't you get on that

Thumbs up Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I'm trying to make a nice way for players to keep track of what skills they have and when they can be used during the game turn. I thought using a card would keep with the theme of the game. This is what I've come up with so far.

The question is, should I bother with making a back for the card? If so, what should be on it? Right now I'm thinking just some graphics with the Ace Skill name grayed out???

Please give me some feedback and let me know what you think as there are quite a few cards to make if I go this route!
    Out-freakin'-standing!

I think they look great! Any plans on putting them up as PDF's when they are all done?

They will be a part of the Knights of the Air rule book.

A new one? When? *drool*

I'm not quite that good an artist... so I just used the backs of the cards that are already out there. It's not very hard to just swap out the background layer to a German one though.

Although, some type of nose art could look really cool too! The roundel would need to be removed and the metal texture recreated in it's place. Then a suitable nose art piece dropped in it's place that would work for both sides.... why don't you get on that
    Been thinking about this and how to do it..
    I want to make cards that can then be ordered from Artscow, but those cards are a bit big.
    Question is, what to do with all the space:
    Put both ace skill levels on one card?
    Put one on the front and one on the back?
    Perhaps when you use it you flip it over?

Of course I could do small cards as well for those that want to print out at home.
    Last edited by Seiseki; 09-13-2009 at 08:37.

Those look cool, but I see a couple of problems. First, as you say, they are quite a bit bigger. The other problem I see would be that there are going to be 24 different Ace Skill cards. If I'm reading that site correctly, you only get one custom image per deck of cards. That would mean you would have to order 24 (number of Ace Skills now) single decks at $14.99 each... or $360 total!

It might be possible to put two of the Ace cards on one of the playing cards (would be slightly smaller then other WoW cards then). The would cut the cost in half, but you would have to cut out the Ace cards.

This does give me some things to think about though.

no, no..
    There are two different decks.
    One is a standard poker deck with one single design on the back, while the other deck you can fully customize.

Well, if there as a deck that you could have 22 different front and back images, that might not be so bad. Making the Ace Skill cards a little smaller then the standard Wings of War cards would allow you to get two full Ace Skill card sets per deck... maybe one set of allies and one set of axis. If we did a more generic graphic, we could get two full sets per deck. You would still need several decks if you were running a large group as more then one person will have the same Ace Skill.

To lower costs, I could order a larger quantity and then cut them out and re-sale single decks to players that wanted them.

Personally I'm not too fond off having to cut them out since the edges tear more easily, and you usually get sloppy results unless you have the right tools for it..

I'm also not sure the size will be that much of an issue, if they're bigger they're easier to separate from the rest and reading the text will be easier.

Also I took a look at the site again, and I think it's 54 cards with unique designs with the backs being all the same, not 100% sure though.

Bigger text would be a plus for the Ace cards. I'm not ruling out the larger size, but a playing car is much larger then the Wings of War cards.

I do happen to have the right tools to cut them out, so I'm not concerned about them tearing... or the ones I offered for purchase if it came to that.

I see..
    And yeah, a playing card is probably double the size or so?

Cards like that would be a fantastic addition to the game well done.

Now don't shoot me here, I'm just brainstorming an idea

You could have a seperate pilot record sheet utility, a screen based self updateable system that allows you to modify/update the pilots career after each game, it keeps track of all kills missions flown, prompts you when you earn a new skill etc. You could simply choose the particular skill from the possible pool, drag the 'E' version of the which ever card onto a slot on the record sheet. It could then have maximum limitations built in "for arguments sake" only 3 possible slots. You could also have the particular icons of "medals" that individual pilots earn after so many missions/kills set up to drag into a location on the sheet you could even include a wreath/headstone/KIA. for that inevitable moment. When all the updates are done you just print it off. It would need an area to write stuff down that happened during games between "computer" sessions. Personally I have absolutely no idea how to do it or if its too ambitious but its just one of those thoughts that popped into my head. A friend made up something similar years ago for a Blood Bowl campaign season we played, he had set it up so that small icons of tropheys were dragged into positions as they were won, it took care of all the winnings and had a drag and drop "shopping list" that kept a constant tally as you went, but I don't know how he did it.
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 09-14-2009 at 22:56. Reason: noticable grammer and spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Now don't shoot me here, I'm just brainstorming an idea
    Your ideas fit more into the Pilot Logs I've posted about in the other tread.

These cards are more for use during the actual game.

Slamdunk

Ah... really new here. Where are the campaign rules at?

Mark

Mark, you can find them in the File System, the link is at the top of the page in the Gray navbar.

Slamdunk

Thank you.

Iron Squid

Wow! Those cards look amazing!

The printing issue might call for a compromise on size though But if we stop thinking of them as cards and start thinking of them as tokens, I don't see that to be much of a problem. Especially if it means we can get our hot little hands on something glossy!

For instance, having 2"x2" tokens rather than standard sized cards would mean you could fit 6 tokens on a postcard sized card, i.e. 3 skills with tiers 1 and 2. Find a place that prints on demand in packs of 10 and you've got 30 tier one skills and 30 tier 2 per pack. Then all you'd need to do is make one set for Allies and one set for Entente.

Doing this through an on-demand provider like cafepress.com would make things a lot easier and simpler for you (as well as sling you a little profit on the side ).

The cards look great!!!

These are a great idea mate. Looking forward to being able to download them and try them out. Good work!!

very cool

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

The cards look great. Any chance of supplying a base ally and axis card minus the text so the community can doctor them to suit their own campaigns?

I'll see if I can make time to get those ready and posted.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

I'll see if I can make time to get those ready and posted.
    That would be great, thanks

Hello!
    I download the Skill´s cards from files section. In the card Acrobatic Pilot II say:

The pilot can do an Immelmann turn without having to do the straight maneuver before or after it. The player may use this ability once every two turns.

But in the rules of the campaign the same Ace Skill say:

Same as Acrobatic Pilot I but can do a Split S turn without having to do the straight maneuvers before it or after it.

Wich is the correct text?

Umm, at the time, the card was correct. Then I did some updating of the rules and changed it to what is in the KotA rules. I've just finished putting the "finishing" touches on the new version 2.3 rules for KotA and the Ace Skills have been updated yet again. Max Headroom is putting the final touches on the new version 2 Ace Skill Cards as well.

If you are already playing a campaign, I would use the the Ace Skills listed in the rules.

Hope that helps some!

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the heads up chaps. I had not noticed this anomaly.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Is the KotA rule book and Ace Skill cards the new versions? If so can they be accessed from the files? I would like to start this campaign during the Summer and want to have my ducks in a row by then.

Version 2 of KotA and it's supporting files have not been release yet. It will be out before Summer though. You could of course play with the currently posted files.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oh, good. Thanks Colonel.

I'd up to buying a set when it would be possible. The group here would love to have them once some one makes Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    I'd up to buying a set when it would be possible. The group here would love to have them once some one makes Ace.
    They are usually posted up here for free by the Herr Oberst.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

i've thought of another card but i never got around to making it but wut about gaining or losing altitude in a turn. because u could easily do a climb turn or a dive-like turn with one card right? think it could be a ace skill? plus i tried to find the current ace skill cards but couldn't find them.

nvm i found the cards
    but my question still stands

Similar Missions

1. Tiered Ace Abilities [2 Levels]
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 03:54
  2. Tiered Ace Abilities [3 Levels]
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:00