Ares Games

Thread: New to the WOG game: How do the solo rules work?

russwg1970

Default New to the WOG game: How do the solo rules work?

New to the forum, and the WOG game itself. I have developed a fascination for WWI flight combat, mainly due to the excellent Rise of Flight PC flight sim. I came across WOG through X-Wing, and it looks to be lots of fun.

Anyways, after seeing the game had by all accounts a pretty good solo system, I decided to jump in. And finally my question (and probably a stupid one) after looking over the solo variant is: how are the zones used? Everything else looks easy enough to apply, I was thinking zones might be inches, but I don't think that is correct.

I did some searching but couldn't find any references to my question, likely because I've missed something really simple (no surprise there.)

Click on my name, look down the page on the left margin for albums.
    Look for 'solo dh.4 bombing run'. There is a template I use for solo games.

That template may be what you are after?

Are you using the Tyneside Wargames solo rules http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html? The zones are identified using a 'semicircular' device, the template for which you can download from their site.

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/download/WoWTemplateA.pdf

Once you have made the device put it around the base of your plane on the same side as the nearest enemy plane and imagine a line from your planes centre to the centre of the enemy. The sector which the line passes through is the zone you use.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Naharaht; 03-22-2013 at 13:32.

russwg1970

Well that is really cool! But I was wondering on Richard Bradley's solo rules, what are the "zones" and how do I use them? Is it zonal positions in relation to my plane like check six, inches or something else?

I'm starting to think they are zonal positions in relation to "my" plane.

russwg1970

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Are you using the Tyneside Wargames solo rules http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html? The zones are identified using a 'semicircular' device, the template for which you can download from their site.

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/download/WoWTemplateA.pdf

Once you have made the device put it around the base of your plane on the same side as the nearest enemy plane and imagine a line from your planes centre to the centre of the enemy. The sector which the line passes through is the zone you use.
    Perfect, thanks for the help!

The solo rules are quite good.... Give 'em a whirl and welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    The solo rules are quite good.... Give 'em a whirl and welcome aboard.
    Truth.

First time working through the charts might be a little awkward/time consuming , but you'll get the hang of it quickly!

Greetings Russell. You will have quite some fun playing solo. There are plenty of missions loaded in the Campaign Discussions Forum.

Head on over to the Report for Duty forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you.

russwg1970

Thanks for the welcome, I'll head over and report for duty...

I do not mean to hijack the thread. I also have a question on the solo rules. I see the solo charts both from Richard and Blackronin based on quadrant and facing. My question is on the facing part. Does the Closing/Moving Away (Blackronin) and Nose, Right, Left, Tail mean the facing of the enemy plane to the auto-pilot plane?

Example:

Two planes racing toward each other like this...

Say the Fokker is the auto-pilot plane. The enemy (Camel) is in the 12-1 quadrant and I would use the Closing/Nose row when rolling the D6?

Thanks!!

Similar Missions

1. 6th Solitaire game with Richard Bradley solo rules - Outclassed!
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 05:49
  2. 3th Solitaire game with Richard Bradley solo rules even more adapted
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 14:55
  3. 2nd Solitaire game with Richard Bradley solo rules adapted by me
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 11:48
  4. Solitaire game with Richard Bradley solo rules