Ares Games

Thread: Advice needed - which donor DV for Osterkamp?

Default Advice needed - which donor DV for Osterkamp?

Hi Gents

I'm thinking about painting up a pair of planes to represent "Onkle Theo", an Albatross for WW1 and a 109 for part 2.

I was wondering which Albatros would be the best donor to start with, or should I head over to Shapeways?

Jensch seems favourite

Any suggestions welcome

Have any pics of what the finished plane should look like? That will help us help you find the best starting point.

I found this one related to Osterkamp:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails osterkamp.jpg  

I found these images, hope they will help you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osterkamp1C-s.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	82150

Name:	Osterkamp1A.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	82151

Name:	Osterkamp1B.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	82152

Name:	Osterkamp1C.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	82153

I think you could obtain it starting from Jentsch's one, because it has the same palette on the wings but you have to change with balcan kreuz.
    http://hobbygiochi.com/product/wings...s-dva-jentsch/

Otherwise you can start with a raw Albatross and following the painting scheme that is not so difficult. If you want a Shapeway mini try with FUD: a little more expensive but with better quality than S&F.

Marco

I agree with Marco, Jentsch's is certainly the best starting point if you can find one. Even the yellow body will overpaint easily the dull pale yellow of that model.
    I would think that the Decals would obliterate the bolkenkreuz if placed on top carefully.
    Rob.

I would think that the Decals would obliterate the bolkenkreuz if placed on top carefully.
    Yes Rob, it's a great solution, but Ken must be calm and have a firm hand to replace balcan crosses with maltese ones.

Marco

Cheers Gents - now to hunt down a spare Jentsch, some decals and a supply of beta blockers!

For DVa you can ask to Ducalutra: he has a shop here in Florence, but ships everywhere;
    I found excellent decals on ebay from:
    http://stores.ebay.it/1-144-Direct?_trksid=p4340.l2563

But I don't know where you could find beta blockers try on google!!!

Marco

Counter-recommendation: If you don't take the direction of the camoflage pattern on the computer skin as gospel, the Baumer Albatros in the Duel pack has the wing match your looking (with proper maltese crosses) for and is available from most stores.

Good point Pseudotheist. With no photos found of the required aircraft, it's artistic license as to the camo direction on the wings. Then you won't need to mess about with changing the decals.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    Good point Pseudotheist. With no photos found of the required aircraft, it's artistic license as to the camo direction on the wings. Then you won't need to mess about with changing the decals.
    yeah but you'll have to change fuselage colour and I don't know what could be worst!!!

Marco

If you remove the wing, using the freezer method, you can quite easily repaint the fuselage, I do that with all my spare Jentchs.... Oops, now doing the same with my spare Hipples for my Jasta 5

If you remove the wing, using the freezer method
    ????? Could you teach me this technique I've never heard about?

Marco

Certainly

Put the model in the freezer, I normally leave over night
    Put model into a bowl of hot water, nice and hot but not boiling so it doesn't warp the model
    Leave in the hot water for a minute, this cracks the glue, then remove from water and gently prize up the wings at the struts, the wings should come away easily, you can also remove the undercarriage, bottom wing and engine block this way.
    Any issues or questions drop me a pm, but there are others who also use this and may offer up advice

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Certainly

Put model into a bowl of hot water, nice and hot but not boiling so it doesn't warp the model
    Leave in the hot water for a minute, this cracks the glue, then remove from water and gently prize up the wings at the struts, the wings should come away easily, you can also remove the undercarriage, bottom wing and engine block this way.
    Any issues or questions drop me a pm, but there are others who also use this and may offer up advice
    Thanks a lot Chris: you never stop learning!!!!

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marcoperse View Post
    yeah but you'll have to change fuselage colour and I don't know what could be worst!!!

Marco
    Your experience may be different, but I've always found it's easier to overpaint in a new color than to paint match, specifically when there's not any detail work being saved by the matching. The fuselage isn't that hard to repaint, unless you're a stickler for perfection in that tiny area directly in front of the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Certainly

Cool... thank you! Just picked up a few Jentsch for repaints and was wondering how to go about that...

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 Fokker E.V/D.VIII Theo Osterkamp
    By teddybeer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 07:27
  2. Fokker EV Osterkamp
    By Boney10 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 14:57
  3. WGF Decal advice needed
    By PilGrim in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5