Ares Games

View Poll Results: From where do you hail?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • North America

212 49.77%
  • South America

8 1.88%
  • United Kingdom & Ireland

80 18.78%
  • Europe

91 21.36%
  • Austrailia & New Zealand

34 7.98%
  • Asia

1 0.23%
  • Africa

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What geographical Area are you from?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    Are those old sub pens being used for anything today?
    Yes Lloyd. That's the biggest building of the old German U-Boat Base in La Pallice.

I had a walk in there few years ago. Now, the access is restricted. Really impressive building.

I know that an bunch of French guys created a society to protect this base.
    Last edited by Casey; 03-10-2013 at 22:49. Reason: typo

I am in beautiful Nashville, Tennessee, USA. (Think Davy Crockett and Alvin York) We are the "Athens of the South" because of the large amount of universities and colleges in the metro area.

A notable pilot from Nashville - Bob Hoover http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoover

Of course, once we had the Athens label, we had to do something to prove it. We reproduced a full scale Parthenon.

c8c8e_1280_nashville,_tn_parthenon__22.jpg

105509710.S0Udx7Y6.NashvilleParthenonDetail_24464.jpg

With Athena Parthenos (to complete the link)

goldivorystatue.jpg

If you saw the YA movie Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The lightning Thief, you saw this location as one of the major fights took place there.

We are also "Music City" with a large current music industry (Country, Bluegrass, Contemporary Christian) and our earliest known copy-written song (produced by the music industry in Nashville) from the late 1800's (not bad for the U.S. timeline). Of course, the main of our music industry was during the radio timeframe and after WWII.

Don't forget, we spawned two Presidents (Jackson and James K. Polk).

I too am lucky to live in an area of great natural beauty, well most of the time it is lovely. Here is a picture looking out of my house at Astoria and the Columbia. When the sun shines all is good!

Astoria on a sunny day.JPG

However, sometimes the sun don't shine! These next photos were taken yesterday from the same window. Yes, there really is a river out there, can you see the ship in the fog? 10 minutes before I took this picture the city wasn't even visible.

soppy Astoria.jpg

soppy Astoria (2).jpg

Days like these make for great excuses for doing modeling projects and drinking coffee!

I live in Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. Town was built around brewing due to the water.
    It's about as far from the sea as you can get in England but close to the Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands.

Richard

My home City is Nottingham.

City center.

Nottingham.jpg

Robin Hood statue.

robin.jpg

The Tram network.

Tram.jpg

The Elezabethan Wollaton Hall. (Wayne Manor in Batman)

wollaton-1.jpg

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Sweet Home Chicago!
    Eric,
    One of my favorite radio stations was WCFL AM. I listened to it doing my homework at night, when the skip zone would let me pick it up... in Ottawa, Canada! It isn't around any more, but great music when it was.

Mike:-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Eric,
    One of my favorite radio stations was WCFL AM. I listened to it doing my homework at night, when the skip zone would let me pick it up... in Ottawa, Canada! It isn't around any more, but great music when it was.

Greetings Mike,

That's a blast from the past. Do you remember the wars between WCFL and WLS? Those were fun times. Music just isn't the same anymore.

This weekend, I will be flying our OTT mission. This will be my first time using solo rules and writing up an AAR. I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    Eric

Sweet Home Chicago!

Chicago's Anthem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt0sZDsFpNM

url-7.jpg
    One of my favourite films of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    One of my favourite films of all time.
    I miss THAT Chicago. Those were good days.

Actually, Lotus Land was a somewhat derogatory term used by non-British Columbians as a way of making fun of those of us who enjoy the West, soon to be Left, Coast lifestyle in Canada. I've also heard BC described as beyond Canada. As someone who was born on the East Coast, and grew up on the West Coast, and went to University in Ontario, I truly appreciate the uniqueness of all parts of this great country of ours :-)

I miss THAT Chicago. Those were good days.
    Don't you mean the Good Old Country Blues Brothers Band?

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    I thought South Americaa was teeming with people.
    Yeah, looks like they don't like too much planes.
    Anyway, Santos Dumond like!!!!!!(if you know Who he is)Of course me too...

Nick... ??

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_ace View Post

Nick... ??
    Yes we visited a monument in West Ireland at the place where his plane landed (more or less crashed).

And Santos Dumont was one of my customers in Dublin.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_ace View Post

Nick... ??
    Yes we visited a monument in West Ireland at the place where his plane landed (more or less crashed).

And Santos Dumont was one of my customers in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoberts View Post
    Actually, Lotus Land was a somewhat derogatory term used by non-British Columbians as a way of making fun of those of us who enjoy the West, soon to be Left, Coast lifestyle in Canada. I've also heard BC described as beyond Canada. As someone who was born on the East Coast, and grew up on the West Coast, and went to University in Ontario, I truly appreciate the uniqueness of all parts of this great country of ours :-)
    Yeah, I was using "Lotus Land" as a backwards slam. I am a Base Brat, both parents were in the Air Force. So, born in Quebec, raised in Canada and Europe. I joined the Army Reserve, then the Navy, transferred to the Air Force, and much later took my commission. I have moved 11 times in 36 years, lived in Nova Scotia, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, even got back to Europe for a few years, and now British Columbia. I think we understand each other. There are some beautiful places in this country, but we both are living here!

Mike, I'd moved 7 times by the time I was 9, and attended 6 different schools. Was never in the military, but was part of a single parent family
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Yeah, I was using "Lotus Land" as a backwards slam. I am a Base Brat, both parents were in the Air Force. So, born in Quebec, raised in Canada and Europe. I joined the Army Reserve, then the Navy, transferred to the Air Force, and much later took my commission. I have moved 11 times in 36 years, lived in Nova Scotia, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, even got back to Europe for a few years, and now British Columbia. I think we understand each other. There are some beautiful places in this country, but we both are living here!

This is Shrewsbury, UK. Your target is my house, at a bearing of 05 degrees 30'45'' from your position. You are currently heading North towards the target which is near those white units in the distance.

Get in... get the job done... and get out! Before HTRAINo scrambles the Sopwith Snipes

shrewsbury.jpg

My home as well

Sweet Home Chicago!

Chicago's Anthem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt0sZDsFpNM

url-7.jpg

Prague - the heart of the Europe. That's my home for all of my life.

Most of my life has been in Aurora, IL. Approx. 30 miles west of downtown Chicago. Up until about 20 years ago most development stopped around I-294. Now just about every openspce has been built on between Aurora and Chicago. Still corn and bean fields to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    This is Shrewsbury, UK.
    Not quite what it looked like during the times of Cadfael I imagine. Beautiful though; very beautiful.

Modesto California in the central valley home of Gallo family Goerge Lucas grew up here. We're the cruiseing capitlal. But it is illegal these days.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    We're the cruiseing capitlal. But it is illegal these days.
    All those fires, machinery breakdowns, backflow through heads into people's cabins, why would you want to anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Canberra, a little further south than Toowoomba or Brisbane.

Attachment 80803
    OK, rub it in alittle.

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I'm smack dab in the middle of the States.
    He the City Cousin, and I am the DUSTBOWL Cousin.
    little around here but cows.
    i do plan on showing off WOW at the County Fair this fall.
    oz coin3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Hailing from Akron, Ohio
    I was thinking of uploading my map until I realized that it looks the same as yours Karl. I'm 30 mins or so away from this location in North Royalton. Though I did live in Germany for 2 years Schweinfurt.JPG

Fritz1418

I come from here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal
    greetings to you

lt_v

I live in Newfoundand...apx 20km from the most easterly point in North America...

South Sardinia, Italy.

Wind and/or Sun 365 days a year (400 mm of rain/year), 40° C (and more...) in the summer ...
    PoettoCagliari.jpg

Sounds like paradise Stefano.
    Where's the catch?
    Rob.

... I have to admit that this photo (not one of mine), it's about 100 meters away from my workplace....

Stefano you do live in a beautiful country. I always enjoyed my trips to Italy, Sicily and Sardinia. I miss going there since I'm now retired!

Also in Australia's Bush Capital in the Belconnen region.

Famous for 'Belco Pride':

http://leegrant.net/photographs/belco-pride

“Belco’s a hole…. but it’s our hole”

... and as once Watterson Bill wrote:
    "There's Treasure Everywhere...

Looks like the Central Valley

This has been a fascinating thread but it would be great if we could get linked into a zoomable world map and have customisable pins to stick on our locations so we could see where everyone is and who is nearby at least to town level?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    This has been a fascinating thread but it would be great if we could get linked into a zoomable world map and have customisable pins to stick on our locations so we could see where everyone is and who is nearby at least to town level?
    Back a couple of years ago, there was such a subscription on Google Maps; I never was able to get my pin placed, and it went away at some point. I don't remember the details.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Back a couple of years ago, there was such a subscription on Google Maps; I never was able to get my pin placed, and it went away at some point. I don't remember the details.
    Karl
    Shame. Maybe we can get something similar back up on the forum or so attached?

I wanna move where Stefano is.. lol.. I could use some sun time... stuck in the Midwest of the US of A.. we had a loooong winter this year.. not that I really mind winter... but I have a lady fruend that would love year round sunshine.. hehe.. and she looks awesome in a swimsuit..

I think i could be happy where ever this girl is at.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I'm living in Franconia - northern region of Bavaria - southern part of Germany - forming with Poland and the Czech Republik the heart region of Europe.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

All these places are wonderful. All places can be wonderful. Me, I grew up on the coast of Maine although I live nearby even now, just not quite as glamorous as this was.
    River mouth postcard1.jpg
    This is a postcard from the turn of the century, or thereabouts. Except for the unpaved roads it is a good representation of how things were forty-some years ago. The arrow locates my home. Looking at it further, it must be from the 20's. The Colony was not the Colony until 1926.

by-river1.jpg
    This is a modern photo from the river. The pointer is on my actual bedroom window. The buildings are the same buildings just heavily remodeled over the years. It was a lovely spot. Some days I positively pine for those days. Ah well.

Thumbs up

I am from Ohio, but live in Virginia Beach. The oldest public building was commissioned by President George Washington. The oldest private building site had stone and shell tools found in it. Home of the Military Aviation Museum!

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/about.html
    Attached Images

I was born in Liverpool but now live close to this church which has been there since just after the Norman conquest.

image.jpg

In a place named after Orm the Viking....

No more Nicolas, can count on a guy coming from Rio de Janeiro.

I'm from a small place called Earth and it has lots of nice people.

image.jpg

I'm on Cape Cod.(Massachusetts) Tourist haven in the summer gets a bit too busy for me but you can find places to hide.
    Unfortunately not many gamers around here.

Our bike path in the fall.
    DSC_2703.jpg

DSC_0177C.jpg

Nobska Lighthouse in Woods Hole.
    DSC_2717.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm on Cape Cod.(Massachusetts) Tourist haven in the summer gets a bit too busy for me but you can find places to hide.
    Unfortunately not many gamers around here.
    One of my most favorite places, though as the tourist, I didn't think it felt crowded at all. I guess it is a matter of perspective.

I find summer traffic very frustrating as you really have to plan around it. When you want to leave the Cape or come back over the bridge, driving any distance across the Cape as there are only 3 main routes, bad weather days when no one is at the beach and on the roads, the folks just driving through town to get to the island ferry... I just want my paradise to myself! No different than any tourist area when you are not in the tourist business I guess.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21