Ares Games

Thread: An essay on Frank Luke

Default An essay on Frank Luke

I was interested to find an article about Frank Luke on the website damninteresting.com. If you have never been to DI, it is...well....damn interesting. http://www.damninteresting.com/the-a...-dragonslayer/
    I didn't know that human kites were used for observation.

French military kites. They are a combination delta and triangular box kite. Enormous amount of lift, a single kite can lift a small person off the ground in just a moderate wind. I have a modern one. I was under the impression that the French used these early in the war but they were unreliable.

very interesting thanks for sharing.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Enjoyed the read.

Thank you for posting this link. From everything I have read on Frank Luke he was a passionate, intense and daring flyer. They say the brightest of stars burns the quickest....Frank Luke was most definetly one of the brightest.

Very nice article. Thanks for the tour. Always nice to read a few new insights into the career and untimely passage of one of America's brightest lights of the first war. If you ever get to fly into Phoenix International enjoy the full scale replica of Luke's Spad above the escalators.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Very nice article. Thanks for the tour. Always nice to read a few new insights into the career and untimely passage of one of America's brightest lights of the first war. If you ever get to fly into Phoenix International enjoy the full scale replica of Luke's Spad above the escalators.
    This is true, Thomas. We have plans for that replica SPAD XIII!

Exclamation

If anyone is interested in an indepth history of Frank Luke try to get hold of a book by Stephen Skinner named "the Stand". Stephen spent a lot of time in France researching Luke's final flight, crash & death & has some new info on this incident. He tells a great story about Frank & there are excellent pictures. Should be available from Amazon or Military Booksellers.

Similar Missions

1. Interest n Frank Luke Campaign?
    By sparty in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 18:03
  2. SPAD XIII - Frank Luke - Revised Deluxe Set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 09:32