Ares Games

Thread: Playing without buying a box?

Default Playing without buying a box?

I've been thinking of just buying two mini's and skipping the box, just to try out some cool dogfights.
    Since I can download the manual online.
    As for the damage, I'm considered making a custom dice to decide the damage.
    And I guess I can use the rulers from the WW-I game?

Is there anything else I'd miss or would this work?

There is going to be a Deluxe Set for WWII release here shortly. It will contain the rules, all the counters and rules as well as four of the miniature planes (same planes as in Series 1, but with different paint jobs that you can only get in this set). So, for the money, I'd hold off until the Deluxe Set comes out... That's what I'm doing.

Seiseki, you would need some speed counters as well. Ww2 decks come with hight/low speeds and optional acceleration rules. Waiting for the deluxe set sounds like a good idea to me if you want to play with minis.

Yeah but it's about the cost of the box compared to just 2 mini's

If the DoW Deluxe set is priced similar to the WoW one, you are going to come out much better money wise getting the Deluxe set.

The WoW one was basically the price of the four planes that came in it. So, you got all the rules, counters, rulers and several extra damage decks for free. You actually saved about US$120 as you would have had to buy three of the regular main box sets.

Besides, you know you are going to end up buying more then just two planes anyways!

haha, yeah that's true, now that you've put it that way I guess I'll just wait for the delux set.

I have all the ww2 minis already but I too will be getting the deluxe box - mostly for the alternate paint schemes. They didn't release a ww1 in English and it didn't have alternates so it wasn't worth getting fom my point of view. But that ww2 box they have my interest with the alternate paint scheme.

Yep, it was a smart move giving the planes a different paint job. Although, I found the WWI Deluxe Set still a good value. At the time I still needed 3 of the 4 minis in it and it was the best value for getting two A decks and a B deck. I need those really badly for my campaign with up to 14 players at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I need those really badly for my campaign with up to 14 players at once.
    Wow! 14 players! And I thought that my 8 players games were crazy!. You can almost try some Big Wing tactics with 14 players

Well, I broke them down to 6-7 players per table. It was just to hectic and crowded on our "small" 4'x6' tables.

There is going to be a Deluxe Set for WWII release here shortly. It will contain the rules, all the counters and rules as well as four of the miniature planes (same planes as in Series 1, but with different paint jobs that you can only get in this set). So, for the money, I'd hold off until the Deluxe Set comes out... That's what I'm doing.
    That is good news since I am also missing everything except the minis which I bought individually.
    When this DeLuxe set is due?

Supposedly, in October some time.

Supposedly, in October some time.
    I for one will be watching for the Deluxe set. More minis? Yes, please!

mmm I might get the deluxe box set now that I know the paint jobs are different.

wasn't planning on getting the Zero or Grummann but I guess it will be good to have a good range of planes at my beckon call.

Cheers
    GW

Its a great buy. I got mine at my lhs. He gave me a discount so it only cost about $46.00 U.S.. Just divide that by 4 and its only $11.50 a plane and the game was free.

Tom

I thoughtthat the WW2 De-luxe set, which I bought, was good value for money.

Similar Missions

1. Role Playing
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 22:38