Ares Games

Thread: Scenario 17 - Flash - Head to Head - Over The Trenches - 13th February 1918

Default Scenario 17 - Flash - Head to Head - Over The Trenches - 13th February 1918

Hugh Jundys was relaxing in his quarters after a hairy homecoming from the dawn patrol, his engine cutting out as he crossed the perimeter hedge to the home field came as a nasty surprise and he only just got his crate down in one piece; though his heavy landing seemed to have cracked the under-cart & Chief mechanic Hanson had the boys working on it now in a vain hope to have it ready for the morning.
    Supping on a mug of tea fortified by a jot of rum by his batman was certainly helping him relax as he thumbed through a week old copy of The Times and smoked his way through a pack of Players.
    He’d have happily stayed there the rest of the day but was startled from his revelry by the arrival of Uncle, always a portent of bad news.
    “Get your chaps together Hugh” he called “There’s a bit of a shindig going on over the front near St Caronne”.
    Hugh groaned inwardly & started gathering his kit calling “Right-o Uncle, what’s the form?”
    Uncle continued “According to the chaps up there, bags of Huns appeared from nowhere & set about some of our kites and a massive fur ball has ensued, could be our afternoon patrol we just don’t know. Either way the Old Man wants everybody up and over there tout suite”
    “My kites still broken” Hugh piped up, “What shall I take ?”
    “Everything’s going up, even the our old Nieuports but Mr Scott has something special waiting for you Hugh, I think you’ll like it” replied Uncle.
    Hugh didn’t like the sound of that, he didn’t like surprises at the best of times but he was totally flabbergasted as he rounded the hanger corner to find a grinning Chief Mechanic Scott stood next to a Sopwith Triplane.
    “Where the hell…”

After a quick briefing Hugh led 2nd Lts Horace Cope, Lew Bricant, Perry Shute & Dan Gellar into the air, they formed up to his left in line abreast and then swept towards the skies over St Caronne.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT17 4.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	79041

Hugh was starting to enjoy flying the Tripelane – its performance was far & away better than he’d been told and he could feel it wanted to perform like a true thoroughbred. At least he hadn’t got a Nieuport like poor Dan Gellar had !

Name:	OTT17 3.JPG 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	79042

Cloud had been building up steadily throughout the day and though scattered was now forming towering structures of vapour that Hugh took his flight between. They’d been in the St Caronne area ten minutes but had seen neither hide nor hair of the Hun or their own chaps for that matter as they wended their way between the massive cloud bulwarks.
    Hugh was about to call it a day when the flight flew between two humongous pillars of cloud into an arena of open air – as they did so a gaggle of Huns entered from the opposite side…

Name:	OTT17 5.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	79043

Hugh waggled his wings & blipped his throttle but it wasn't necessary, everyone had seen the danger and all throttles were opened wide as they surged ahead into contact.

Name:	OTT17 7.JPG 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	79044

Perry Shute in the SE5a leapt ahead of his comrades and was the first to draw blood as he traded lead with a yellow Albatros D.Va, taking rudder damage in the process.

Name:	OTT17 8.JPG 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	79045

Lew Bricant was next up with his Camel taking a Pfalz D.III head on - both aircraft stalled so as to get a steady shot both scoring solid hits but the Pfalz Pilot seemed to flinch in the cockpit.

Name:	OTT17 9.JPG 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	79046

Jundys took a chance on his aircrafts manoeuvrability swinging right with the intention of cutting back and hopefully behind an oncoming Fokker Dr1. Unfortunately for him the Fokker pilot decided to charge straight in and caught Hugh broadside on with a thumping burst that clattered through the engine cowling – Hughs Tripehound began to splutter

Name:	OTT17 10.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	79047

Having had a poke at one D.Va, Shute went for a second and traded paint instead of bullets.

Name:	OTT17 12.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	79048

The close shave was worth it as Perry pulls an Immelmann right on the Albatriis tail and he starts scoring hits

Name:	OTT17 14.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	79050

The first pass had been made, the first gut check passed now the fight was well and truly on

Name:	OTT17 16.JPG 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	79051

A dark shadow fell across the arena as Dan Gellar who, having already traded shots with an oncoming Pfalz D.III, was surprised when it Immelmanned in front of him & then turned across his nose – he quickly realised the Hun was trying too un-jam his guns as he pumped rounds through its rudder !

Name:	OTT17 17.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	79052

Perry Shute kept pouring fire into the black D.Va and saw the pilot twitch as his rounds slammed in about the cockpit

Name:	OTT17 19.JPG 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	79053

As the sun poured back into the arena the Black D.Va suffering under Perrys guns manages to Immelmann and come back at him but there was no response from it as he fired another slashing stream of fire into its frame. Perry notes the pilots head lolling as they pass and the D.Va bores straight on.

Name:	OTT17 23.JPG 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	79054

Jundys, engine damaged turns for home, as luck would have it a Pfalz appears in his sights and he gets a shot on him !

Name:	OTT17 24.JPG 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	79055

The blue tailed Pfalz hit by Lew on the first pass stalled for a second time and began to spin away out of control, the pilot clearly slumped at his controls,

Name:	OTT17 26.JPG 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	79056

Some aircraft have made a second pass while others wheel around the cloud arena of death looking for prey or to avoid becoming someone elses.

Name:	OTT17 27.JPG 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	79057

Cope makes a nuisance of himself - colliding with Shute who appears to draw aircraft to him like a moth to a flame. fortunately the damage is slight.

Name:	OTT17 28.JPG 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	79058

They are not the only ones as Hugh bumps into the turning Pfalz he just took a pop at

Name:	OTT17 29.JPG 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	79059

Gellar is still in the fight, spotting the lurking Dr1 angling in on Jundys ailing Tripehound he immelmanns and drops the hammer on the unsuspecting Hun

Name:	OTT17 30.JPG 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	79060

Aircraft head in all directions as those wounded and damaged try to sort themselves out before the next enemy finds them

Name:	OTT17 31.JPG 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	79061

The Dr1 reacts violently by turning straight into Gellars attack, as he dodges this move the incoming Pfalz scores a hit, there is a soft whumpf and a gout of flames spurts from under the Nieuports cowling.

Name:	OTT17 32.JPG 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	79062

Jundys is now heading for home, coaxing the best he can from the Tripehounds suffering engine, the Yellow D.Va having circled looking for a chance spots the stuttering Tripe and drops in on its tail promptly lacing it with a long lingering burst

Name:	OTT17 33.JPG 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	79063

In spite of Shutes attempt to throw him off his aim the Yellow D.Va presses home his advantage and scores another solid hit on Jundys suffering tripe

Name:	OTT17 34.JPG 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	79064

The Yellow D.Va scores again – it’s too much for Jundys poor Tripehound and it tumbles from the sky

Name:	OTT17 35.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	79065

Just as the sides have evened up disaster strikes the Hun flight – in their attempts to get on the burning Nieuport the Dr1 & Pfalz collide heavily – The Pfalz falls away from the fight shedding fabric and splintered wood.

Name:	OTT17 36.JPG 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	79066

As Jundys falls into no mans land the Hun kites collide - things are delicately balanced and the fight can go either way

Name:	OTT17 37.JPG 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	79067

The Dr1 makes some amends by getting shots on Gellars now flaming Nieuport as he circles attempting to deal with the fire

Name:	OTT17 38.JPG 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	79068

All the protagonists circle eachother warily looking for the next opportunity to strike

Name:	OTT17 40.JPG 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	79069

The black D.Va lunges at Cope guns blazing but the rounds whistle through harmlessly

Name:	OTT17 42.JPG 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	79070

The Dr1 Immelmanns and rushes Gellar – they trade shots like true duellists – the Dr1 jams his guns but the damage is done and Gellar must leave the battle space

Name:	OTT17 43.JPG 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	79071

The Black D.Va makes a fatal error by pulling an Immelmann and showing his back to Cope who needs no second bidding and roars in hammering the cockpit area, the pilot falls forward dead at the stick…

Name:	OTT17 46.JPG 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	79072

Cope steadies up and delivers a coup de gras,, smashing the D.Va apart with a long withering burst before if tumbles away

Name:	OTT17 49.JPG 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	79073

Shute seizes an opportunity as he finds himself on the tail lof the Dr1 and hoses it with lead sending it down to join the other wreckage in no mans land

Name:	OTT17 47.JPG 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	79074 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT17 51.JPG 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	79075

The Yellow D.Va finds himself suddenly alone in a sky full of Bulldogs and with one closing fast behind him it’s time to go home!

Name:	OTT17 52.JPG 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	79076

As he heads for the barn the German pilot knows he must fight his way out of his predicament and promptly shoots down Gellar heading in the opposite direction

Name:	OTT17 54.JPG 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	79077 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT17 55.JPG 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	79078

Before trading shots with Shute and breaking away for home with 2 kills under his belt

Name:	OTT17 59.JPG 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	79079 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTT17 60.JPG 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	79080

We later learnt the name of this talented pilot. Ltn Bruno Stachel...

Bulldogs Butchers Tally:
    2nd Lt Hugh Jundys - shot down - 0 kills

Name:	OTT17 63.JPG 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	79081
    (Rolled 7 - bruised - skip 1; Rolled 7, mods: nml +1 healthy +1 = 9 escaped unseen)

2nd Lt Perry Shute - RTB - 1 Kill (Dr1)

Name:	OTT17 64.JPG 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	79082

2nd Lt Horace Cope - RTB - 1 Kill (Albatros D.Va)

Name:	OTT17 65.JPG 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	79083

2nd Lt Lew Bricant - RTB - 1 Kill (o.o.c.) (Pfalz D.III)

Name:	OTT17 66.JPG 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	79084

2nd Lt Dan Gellar - Shotdown - 0 Kills

Name:	OTT17 67.JPG 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	79085
    (Rolled 7 - bruised - skip 1; Rolled 4, mods: nml +1 healthy +1 = 6 hiding in nml skip 2)

Eagles Butchers Tally:

Ltn Bruno Stachel - RTB - 2 Kills (N.17 & Sopwith Triplane)

Name:	OTT17 72.JPG 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	79086

Ltn Martin Ziegel - RTB - WIA - 0 Kills

Name:	OTT17 71.JPG 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	79088
    (Rolled 4 Mods RTB +3, WiA -1 = 6 skip 1 D3 resulted: bruised skip 1)

Ltn Bernard Auer - SD - KIA (2xWIA) - 0 Kills.

Name:	OTT17 70.JPG 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	79089

Ltn Friedrich Sternberg - Crash from Collision - 0 kills

Name:	OTT17 69.JPG 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	79091
    Drew card - pilot K.O'd but survived crash landing in nml
    (Rolled 8 mods: -3 = 5 skip d3 rolled 2 = skip 1; Rolled 9, mods: nml +1 healthy +1, exp -2 = 9 so didn't even see me)

Ltn Anton Holbach - SD - 0 kills

Name:	OTT17 68.JPG 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	79094
    (Rolled 7 - skip 1; Rolled 4, mods: nml +1 healthy +1 = 6 hiding in nml skip 2)

Some thirty hours later Dan Gellar reported back to the squadron – he apparently spent the night in a shell hole with one Ltn Anton Holbach sharing hip flasks and flying experiences until it was safe to move and it was he who came back with the name of the successful German pilot Bruno Stachel

Just to clarify - I was flying Jundys as my PC, all others were AI controlled with added I when required. When Jundys went down I continued playing just using the AI
    Most of the Hun pilots we will meet again in The Final Months Campaign - Herr Stachel will be one to watch.
    I didn't find the rules an imposition (well I would say that wouldn't I ?!) and they all seemed to work fine, though it can be worrying when pilots push off of their own accord when you were hoping they would help you out - though, as you saw, they might not make it off the table !!

Great AAR, Dave with superb pictures.

This is the one I liked the most:

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Name:	OTT17 51.JPG 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	79075
    Good fight. 3:2 for the Bulldogs. Well done!

I hope I can fly this mission for the Bulldogs, soon.

What was Otto Loffler doing lending his crate out to Anton Holbach? Words will be spoken in the mess when he returns!

Excellent AAR. Great read, action pics all the way. Close, very close..but well done. Anton says could you be a good chap and return his hip flask? Cheers.

Neil.

Wonderful descriptive AAR Dave. It was another, I felt as if I were up there with them sorties.
    This may be because I have just played two big games in the last two days including this one, which I will post as soon as I get the time.
    I really enjoyed this one.
    Rob.

Thankyou chaps - it was touch and go for a minute but I think seeing Jundys go down gave the boys a second wind and they went to town on Jerry after that
    Having had a go with the Tripe using a "U" deck I think there will be a new favourite in town when it gets released - it's only two cards off a Snipe so worth trying out if you can

Thumbs up

Great AAR Flash plus wonderful pics.

That was just so full of action & it seemed to me to reflect some of the big dogfights of the real War. Well done Mate!

It was a long game but exciting to play & well worth the effort Baz - ending up with all AI was not in the plan though it goes to show how deadly they can be should they latch on to you (que fatuous comment from csadn...)

...ending up with all AI was not in the plan though it goes to show how deadly they can be should they latch on to you
    Not being an "official" member of the original OtT campaign, I opted to use all AI pilots for this battle... took a while to play but, when combined with the new RTB rules (re: pilot wounds & aircraft damage), ended with some... interesting results. I'll post an AAR in the next couple of days... after I've had time to organize my thoughts.
    (que fatuous comment from csadn...)

Fantastic AAR & Pic's. The long shots really illustrate what a furball this was. It really did seem like some of the big battles of the war.

As for those who scoff at the AI...well...I haven't seen their AAR's flying against it...

Neither have I - and I went looking for them !

Fantastic shots there Mr Spielberg Chalk another to the Bulldogs, Gongs here I think
    Paul

Great report. Great pictures! Now a silly question, what is RTB?

RTB is pilotspeak for Return To Base, i.e. head home to airfield!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Also if you dwell with your cursor on any underlined item like this you get an explanation Blake.
    Rob.

Hey thanks Rob for that bit of intel. I have been using my iPad mostly for reading this forum. Just went to main CPU and it worked like a charm.

It's definitely an amazing report of an interesting fight. We can call the overall outcome as a close one (3:2 in kills). But running the whole game as an observer with the PC being shot down quite early, was a sacrifice and a prove of the value of the system. However, it makes me think of taking control of a number of planes...
    Thanks for a scenario, detailed description and excellent pictures, Dave. It was a great final of the Campaign.
    I hope to fly the mission this weekend.

Just seen You're taking on a formation of Nieuports Andrzej - that should prove to be a great scrap !
    I have added French pilots for your use if you want them on the other thread.

Just seen You're taking on a formation of Nieuports Andrzej - that should prove to be a great scrap !
    I have added French pilots for your use if you want them on the other thread.
    Mon Deiu We cheese eating surrender Monkeys could get our deriers kicked

Great AAR as usual Dave and quite some furball! Where did you get a U deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Great AAR as usual Dave and quite some furball! Where did you get a U deck?
    Brian - It's an M deck minus the sharp left & one right long side-slip, or, an O deck sans both left sharp turns - info provide by Zoe in discussion with Andrea. (Apparently the D deck was a compromise to get it into Famous Aces).

Ahh - thanks Dave, I had missed that one somehow :embarass: I can use that to update my deck spreadsheet.

Most welcome old chap - it was in one of the series 6 discussions where people got their knickers in a twist over decks & number of guns !

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 08:32
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 05:55
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 02:09
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 08:08
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 01:49