Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench this March.

Default What's on your workbench this March.

At long last I have started work on my Reverisco DH 9 which I got for Christmas.
    Rob.

I look forward to seeing that one Rob. After a productive week I'm back on my Pfalz d.XIIs. I'm going for three from Jasta 23b and three from Jasta 35.

Decal templates made today.

All going well so far.

Ian
    Last edited by Womble; 03-07-2013 at 00:23.

Still waiting patiently for my last order from Shapeways, two Handley-Page 0/400's and a gunbus. Did I mention that I was PATIENTLY waiting. Oh well, I have a Skytrex Felix Stowe F2a somewhere in my basement. May have to dig it out and start on that.

Taken a break from aircraft and instead I am painting my SAGA (Dark Ages skirmish) Scotts army in 28mm. At least at this scale I can see what I am doing

Lookin' kinda 1/144 zeppeliny on my March bench . . .

All being well some Cod War models for the game at Salute and I think the local club is concentrating on AK-47 (version 1) for the next few weeks so I will be sprucing up my old models and doing some rebasing.

Oh, and the Valom Pups that arrived yesterday

Well my February to do list rolls over and now becomes my March to do list.

Ian, what do you make your decal templates from? I've never tried to do lozenge decals on prebuilts because I couldn't figure out how to get the decal on the wing. It looks like your system takes care of that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I look forward to seeing that one Rob. After a productive week I'm back on my Pfalz d.XIIs. I'm going for three from Jasta 26b and three from Jasta 32b.

Decal templates made today.

All going well so far.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Well my February to do list rolls over and now becomes my March to do list.
    Same here Mark, except I have more aircraft than last month.

WGF

1 x RAF Be2c
    1 x Nieuport N.11
    1 x Albatros D.II
    2 x Airco DH.5

WGS

3 x Douglas Dauntles SBD
    4 x Bristol Blenheim IV
    2 x Tupolev SB2
    2 x Glenn Martin 167F
    2 x Messerschmitt Bf 109F
    2 x Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-3
    2 x Focke-Wulf Fw 190A
    1 x Boeing P-26
    2 x Consolidated B-24D Liberators

Plus I just picked up two Belgian Hurricanes for desert repaints including Vokes filter construction and two Kawasaki Ki-61s coming this week for Ki-100 modification.

If I get even a fraction of these jobs done this month it will be a minor miracle!

Well I've decided to get my brushes out tonight and finish off Kurt Monnington then start an unknown pilot for Jasta 18 , then next week try and get Wulfram von Richthofen's Dr.I painted, then after that it's two D.VII's to be built ready for painting, then I've got plans for two or three repaints for Jasta 6 to go with Kirchestein'd Dr.I oh god I'm doomed better keep doing my to do list which my swmbo has given me, she might not see the ever increasing plane collection

Ian, what do you make your decal templates from?
    I just use some offcuts of white decal paper to make the templates. The top of the top wing is the easiest, just draw around the wing with a mechanical pencil and add a few mm to cover the wing edges. Same again for the underside but trim this as close to the actual size as possible, then mark out lines for struts by holding the template against the wing at both the front and back. For the bottom wing start with the underside, cut a hole so the paper fits around the undercarriage then mark out as above. This bottom wing template can be drawn around, cut out and cut in half, trim to the correct length, mark strut lines and you should then have a top of the bottom wing template.

Above shows the templates against the decals. The actual decals have 2mm ish holes for the struts. The only thing I did wrong was on the underside of the top wing (top right in photo) where there's hardly any room. I cut it so the little flaps that fill the gap between the struts were on the centre piece, this made it really tricky to apply, the next one will be cut to make the flaps on the outside where access is much easier.

I usually decal the bottom of the bottom wing first and work my way up. This means that the top side of the wing decal always covers any overlap. Also the most visible decal goes on last reducing the chance of damage. On the top side decals I cut slits around the wing edges to help them wrap around the wings.

Don't try and put all the decals on at once, just one in place, sol it, leave it to dry, then onto the next. It takes a while but this seems the best way. When I did my AEGs I varnished as I went and this also avoids damage.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to try their own decals. You can get some great results. I'd recommend using laser printers if possible as the ink is waterproof. I also use and recommend Crafty computer paper.

Ian

Thanks for this very useful tutorial. I might just give it a go and see how things work out.

Started in Febuary, planes for my Contact Patrol game at Origins:
    2 Ju.Cl.Is and 2 Halberstadt Cl.IIs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench 1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	79591

But first, a swarm of Kettering Bugs:

Name:	workbench 5.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	79592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	79593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench 4.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	79594

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    But first, a swarm of Kettering Bugs:

Name:	workbench 5.jpg 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	79592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	79593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench 4.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	79594

Karl
    How on earth are you going to paint all those bugs? Airbrush or traditional, that could drive you crazy!

The Graf is nearing completion!

Finishing coats of silver, then all the bits get added

Decals and windows . . .

And right behind the Graf are the really ginormous zepps!

Ready for final primer, fins and nacelles ready to install, looking real big! Elves cower!

Going to be a fun weekend here!

Coming along well there old chap. I love your method of doing decals for the windows.
    It really saves all the tedium of painting all those glazing bars.
    Rob.

I have an Infinity commision to finish, then I want to get my 2 Dvii's painted, and my Bristol Fighter finished with some details. If I get to my WW2 Afrika Korp themed Orks, I will be surprised...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    How on earth are you going to paint all those bugs? Airbrush or traditional, that could drive you crazy!
    Probably crazy to begin with
    No airbrush, so traditional it will be.
    Karl

I've still got the same stuff on teh workbench as was there in February, except I've added some more stuff to leave unfinished for another month.

I have some of the same stuff on this month's work bench, that never got worked on in February. I think I might have to start using my "work" mantra...

"All I want is less to do, more time to do it, and more money for not getting it done!!"

Except I get "paid" in planes, not money.

Mike

Well that's one more repaint down as I've just finished an unknown pilot for Jasta 18, next on my painting to do list is Wulfram Von Richthofen's Dr.I, and it's onto Jasta 37 as I've pre ordered a few of Udet's Albatroses which will be a nice easy set of repaints to do.

More like what is floating above your bench this March : )

The 1/144 scale Type P is done!

A DH4 slips by the nose rather nervously! Suddenly and sadly, my bench is rather empty . . .

Waiting for decals for a wsf-p Alb CII,priming continues on wsf Fok DVII,1/24 rubber powered S.e 5a and last but not least expecting plans for a 1/4 scale S.e 5a although that will take a lot longer.(need elves)

Found my workbench again and started on this one....

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	80829

I'm quit far with the repaint but still have to make some custom decals and paint all the windows.

Wow ... another monster of the air. Looking good.

This March I have turned to my 1939 project. 2 PZL P 11c and I 16 Rata from Shapeways are on my desk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

This is really old school, my CAD program would not boot on my new laptop without admin approval, so I was doomed to do it the fun way!

The FF60 has been haunting me too long, and with an empty workbench its this or painting my Shapeways backlog . . .

Ah the good old days . . . lets see, 1/4" = 1 meter looks close, whoops! Need to enlarge my drawing 108% Rats!

Yea! Now how many . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    This March I have turned to my 1939 project. 2 PZL P 11c and I 16 Rata from Shapeways are on my desk
    We've got to test those in July, Adrzej!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post

I'm quit far with the repaint but still have to make some custom decals and paint all the windows.
    What kind of plane is this one???

Having received my Spanish Civil War books on armoured cars and tanks, my life will be filled with T26s, BT5s & Panzer Is, and if time allows I will do a 'Clipper' and scatch-build some armoured cars.

...or I might get on with re-painting the half-dozen Albatros and Camels I picked up at WMMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    What kind of plane is this one???
    The Blohm & Voss bv222. The largest operational airplane in WWII. More intel can be found here...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Stats-Card-etc

What a beast!
    The Blohm & Voss bv222. The largest operational airplane in WWII. More intel can be found here...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Stats-Card-etc

Your painting skills require a , Thomas. Astonishing job!

My word that is really starting to look de bijen knieën Thomas.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My word that is really starting to look de bijen knieën Thomas.
    Rob.
    Thank you, however I don't completely understand that last (dutch) part...

Since the snow in Belgium forced me to stay home today I finished my giant mini.

Views:	121 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	81193

More pictures are here...

Maybe I will have time to continue on more projects on my workbench today...

Thank you, however I don't completely understand that last (dutch) part...

Since the snow in Belgium forced me to stay home today I finished my giant mini.

Maybe I will have time to continue on more projects on my workbench today...

It is supposed to say "The Bee's Knees" Thomas.
    That is to say the absolute best there is.
    My Dutch has finally let me down.
    Rob.

If it's any consolation, "The Dog's B*****ks" doesn't translate very well either

My Dutch has finally let me down.
    Rob.
    It's not let you down Rob. Some things just don't translate very well, especially when it's a literal translation. But it works both ways, there are plenty of Dutch sayings which just don't make any sense when translated into English.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    It's not let you down Rob. Some things just don't translate very well, especially when it's a literal translation. But it works both ways, there are plenty of Dutch sayings which just don't make any sense when translated into English.
    Yes indeed Chris.
    My uncle spent some time trying to explain some simple one worder that he shouted at a guy who cut him up in a car, and the best that he could come up with was, "Your old man is no good for procreating" which did not seem half as good as what he had just said!
    Rob.

Views:	121 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	81193

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'mini' that I wasn't previously aware of.
    (with apologies to Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")

Mike

Well finished building my Reviresco Breguet 14B2 - 96th Aero Squadron, 1st (Day) Bombardment Group and next is re-painting a Wings of War De Havilland DH-4 into the 20th Aero Squadron, 1st (Day) Bombardment Group

WOW, that thing is HUGE!

My Dutch has finally let me down.:cry:
    You're kidding, right? I don't even speak Dutch*, and I was able to figure that one out....

[*: I can read just enough German to get punched out in certain quarters of Warsaw, but that's it. :) ]

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    You're kidding, right? I don't even speak Dutch*, and I was able to figure that one out....

[*: I can read just enough German to get punched out in certain quarters of Warsaw, but that's it. ]
    Congrats!

My knowledge of english is enough to make conversation, but my knowledge of English sayings is rather limited. So Rob don't be dissapointed in your dutch! I understood the translation but didn't know the saying.

The Graf has arisen! Now the bench is very, very, very empty . . .

The silk, the dope, the history, such a memory starter.

Interesting the details from the WWI Zeppelins to the Graf, so many changes.

The Graf paved the way for our WWII Airships, the main reason I may someday move up to the new game . . .

Someday . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The Graf has arisen!
    Gorgeous!

Late shift of elves were caught making tanks!

"Treads of Glory" I can see it now!

Default The work bench is 'Liberated'

I got home from work and what do you know, the AIM delivery boy had dropped off a package. I opened the box to see two much anticipated B-24D Liberators!

Name:	Liberator 1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	81350

Just to give you a perspective on the span of these babies, you could fit three side by side P-40's from wingtip to wingtip.

Name:	Liberator 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	81351

Now my work bench has been 'Liberated' I just have to push aside the WGF Be2c and Albatros D.II and get to work making these beauties battleworthy!

Name:	B24.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	81352

Both will be 21 Squadron RAAF aircraft - E MJ and D MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Late shift of elves were caught making tanks!

"Treads of Glory" I can see it now!
    I will have to try and remember to make up some more of mine.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Illinois: March Scramble in Aurora
    By Beer&pretzels in forum US Wing
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 20:14
  2. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  3. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21
  4. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58