Ares Games

Thread: Homebrew Altitude Track (Mockup)

mleaman

Lightbulb Homebrew Altitude Track (Mockup)

Our group has finally embraced altitude in the advanced rules! I wanted to make something that would make tracking altitude easier for each pilot during our upcoming Gotha raid scenario. My idea was to make something where a player can slide a glass token up and down the track to track altitude and climb tokens. The bombing token spots are based on the advanced altitude bombing rules in the Wings of Glory Accessory Set.

I have a friend with access to a laser cutter that will cut and burn this patter on wood for me. However, before I send him the file I wanted to solicit some feedback. I should also note that printing track on paper gives you the option to fill in the altitude and climb values beyond your aircraft's ability with a black Sharpie. I'll also include a spot for "Pilot Name" and "Aircraft Model" on the final PDF version.

Please let me know what you think.

Name:  Altimiter-Laser-Mockup---Wings-of-Glory.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  74.1 KB

(I'll also put up the final PDF version in the files section after corrections are made.)

Morph this onto one of the cockpit forms instead of a separate item to clutter the table space with and you might have a winner.

Remember the idea of the game is fun, and the basic rule is to keep it simple. If all your control data is in one place, it will be easier to track.

mleaman

Originally, that thought started me on the idea. However, we have all sort of horizontal space along each player's console, thus putting something along side the cockpit isn't a problem. We're fortunate enough to have a table that's almost 5' wide and 13' long to play on. My thought was to keep the altitude track clutter free so there is less of a chance accidentally bumping a counter off the track. Additionally I wanted to make something that an opposing player could easily reference from across the table. What I'm mostly looking for is rule accuracy feedback.
    Last edited by mleaman; 02-24-2013 at 11:51.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Mark, I like it and I, initially, see no problem with rules. However, how are you then using your pegs in conjuction with this?

Al, if I were to adopt Marks form here, I'd use your suggestion to put in on the cockpit. Thanks for the idea.

mleaman

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Mark, I like it and I, initially, see no problem with rules. However, how are you then using your pegs in conjuction with this?

Al, if I were to adopt Marks form here, I'd use your suggestion to put in on the cockpit. Thanks for the idea.
    Hunter, not using pegs other than as a base standoff at this point. We're using the "Flying Higher" rule (on page 19) where you use counters to track altitude limited by the stats listed on page 14 of the Wings of Glory advanced rulebook. The intent of the track design is to simplify the use counters on our already cramped dashboards. Some of the players in our group mentioned that it was difficult to read altitude counters on an opponent's dashboard from across the table. Ultimately, I agree that combining it all into one super dashboard would be nice. Again, the idea I had was use a black sharpie to fill in the altitude level and climb rate to fill in the numbers that are beyond your plane's ability. Then simply position a single token/counter at your current altitude and climb rate. Hmmm, now that I think of it climb should probably start at '0'.

Super Dashboard w/ altitude & climb track (for use with "Flying Higher" rule)
    Name:  Super Dashboard Laser - Wings of Glory.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  53.7 KB

What a very usefull idea Mark well done that man

Personally, I prefer the altitude marker on the AA stands, but if you would rather use charts...

May as well grab the rest, these date back to an old S&T magazine game of March 1972.Name:  pic128952.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  132.7 KBName:  pic128953.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  128.3 KB
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7031/flying-circus

I think it's a great idea and would be very helpful for bombing missions! I might also have to work on something similar to this for my Con games and possibly an AA item. Not so much to track altitude for all the different planes, but perhaps a bomber version of the Advanced Cockpit product.

Played the heck out of that Al. Now for a suggestion. CY6 uses an altitude rule we might find helpful. They only have six altitude levels representing a band of altitudes. We could use that same idea and use pegs. The lowest peg would be an altitude such as 5000 ft. The sixth peg might represent say 8000f. If you go above or below the range band you are considered to have escaped the fight. WE could then represent altitude with six pegs and climb woiuld represent the number of turns needed to go up one peg. Diving would be one peg per turn.

Nice idea. I might have to start using the cockpit when I play. We just place the cards and manage things that way. Mark your idea is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    May as well grab the rest, these date back to an old S&T magazine game of March 1972.Name:  pic128952.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  132.7 KBName:  pic128953.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  128.3 KB
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7031/flying-circus
    Seen, and raised:

Name:  pic6222_md.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  35.6 KB

:) .

mleaman

Here's a redesign correcting the climb rate error. I realized that the maximum climb rate of listed aircraft (page 14 in the advanced rulebook) goes up to 8 (Zeppelin Staaken). Add in the rule for "Full Load" and it should go to 9. I made that correction and adjusted the layout a little. If you have access to something that can print tabloid it should now fit 2-up in portrait orientation.

Name:  Super Dashboard Paper - Advanced Wings of Glory.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  53.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Seen, and raised:

Name:  pic547707.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  245.9 KBName:  pic178843.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  201.3 KB
    I will see your ah rw, and raise you an spi aw

mleaman

Not sure if Al thinks he's offering valid input or trolling the thread with BGG image spam.

SPI's Air War? Wow... that goes way back.
    Not so much the light wargame we play now, that's for certain...

Air War was a bit too simplistic in some areas. Certainly compared to our homebrew rules. It was adequate for Sabre vs Mig15, but not so good for post 1960.

I'm going to try and extract the meat of the original topic from the "unplayable games of yore" chaff because it looks like an interesting contribution....

Doug

Mark this is very interesting ,keep us informed of progress and how it plays out in a game

mleaman

I ran a bombing scenario loosely based on the Gotha daylight raid on Folkestone on May 25, 1917. This was the first time our group used advanced altitude rules. We used paper versions of my custom altitude track (since I don't have access to bases with altitude dials). We had a blast!

Name:  GZ7BwH0h.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  200.8 KB

The rest of the photo album is available on Imgur below.

http://imgur.com/a/CCRct#0

Mark, this custom altitude dash is awesome. What is it names in the FILES section? I really would love to download a copy. Thanks so much.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for sharing!

That altitude tracker looks nice!

Similar Missions

1. Altitude
    By Happy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 04:52
  2. Altitude - WoW WWI
    By Gargoyle in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 04:26