Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MvR Tribute painting contest

Default MvR Tribute painting contest

Sunday marked the 95th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron. To honor his accomplishments as a pilot and leader, I am hosting the MvR Tribute painting contest.

Who: Any registered Wings of War Aerodrome member.
    What: Painting Contest.
    When: 1 June 2013 is the deadline for entries.
    Winner chosen by: Community vote.

Rules:
    • One entry per member
    • Miniature must be an aircraft type flown operationally by MvR (not training or testing, see list below) . The plane could have been flown by another pilot, but the type had to have been flown by MvR. This opens up several German plane types to paint!
    • The miniature can be from any manufacture, but must be of the correct type of plane.
    • Must be painted during the contest period.

Here is a list of plane types known to be flown by MvR:
    • LVG C.II
    • Roland C.II
    • Albatros C.III
    • Rumpler C.I
    • Fokker D.I
    • Albatros D.I
    • Halberstadt D.II
    • Halberstadt D.III
    • Halberstadt D.V
    • Albatros D.III
    • Albatros D.V
    • Albatros C.IX
    • Fokker Dr.I
    • Fokker E.III
    • Albatros D.II

How to submit your entry:

Via your profile page, create a new Album (left hand side menu), name it MvR Tribute Contest and select Profile as the album type. Upload your photos to this album and send me a PM with the below info:

Subject of PM: MvR Tribute - Your Username

• Real name
    • Username
    • What miniature was used
    • Pilot and Unit name (if based on historical scheme)
    • No more than 3 photos
    • Cut and past the BB Code found at the bottom right of your Album images into the PM.

The 1st place winner can select three of the items below as their prize. 2nd place my select two, and 3rd place can select 1. You can only select one of each prize type, with the exception of the miniatures. You can select as many as you like up to your prize level allotment.

One autographed card of your choice by Andrea:

1 Sopwith Camel miniature, winners choice of which one.

1 SPAD XIII miniature, winners choice of which one.

An Aerodrome Accessories Prize pack including one each of these two items:

Rotary Cockpit

Prop Ruler

All winners will receive the Painting Contest medal:

Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-19-2013 at 05:17.

I have the following planes that where flown by MvR: Albatros C.III, Fokker Eindecker, Albatros D.II, Albatros D.III, Halberstadt D.II, Albatros D.V and Fokker Dr.I.
    Any others?
    Last edited by Burt; 04-22-2013 at 23:55.

I think he flew, as an observer, a two engine plane. Maybe an AEG?
    Karl

Think it was a Roland CII but as he wasn't the pilot I don't think it counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I think he flew, as an observer, a two engine plane. Maybe an AEG?
    Karl

Default Manfred's Mounts

Albatros B-type - FFl.Abt.69 - (observer)
    AEG G.II - BAO - (observer)
    LVG C.II - Kagohl2/Kasta 8
    Roland C.II - Kagohl2/Kasta 8
    Fokker E.III - Kagohl2/Kasta 8
    Albatros C.III or Rumpler C.I - Kagohl2
    Fokker D.I - Jasta 2
    Albatros D.I - Jasta 2
    Halberstadt D.II/III/V - Jasta 11
    Albatros D.III/V - Jasta 11
    Albatros C.IX - Jasta 11
    Fokker Dr.I - JG.I
    Pfalz Dr.I - factory test
    Fokker D.VII - Adlershof

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...fen-(Albatros)
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-02-2013 at 08:41.

All model manufacturers are allowed, not just Ares/Nexus?

Believe he also flew either a Pfalz Dr1 or an Albatross Dr1 in test mode...like the Fokker D7...test only...no combat.

A question... The instructions above suggest we call the album "DH.2 Flight Contest" - is this correct or should it be "MvR Tribute Contest" ?

A nice contest, Herr Oberst.

This opens up many ways to participate in the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    How to submit your entry:

Via your profile page, create a new Album (left hand side menu), name it DH.2 Flight Contest and select Profile as the album type. Upload your photos to this album and send me a PM with the below info:
    Like Alan posted before, you need to upgrade the album name in your post.

Will a Halberstadt D.III be considered close enough? What if it's painted in a D.II color scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Will a Halberstadt D.III be considered close enough? What if it's painted in a D.II color scheme?
    Only if you can tell the difference between an Argus and a Mercedes in 1/144 scale!

With the scale of the minis and the lack of engine detail, they are effectively identical.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 04-24-2013 at 10:53. Reason: clarification

Have I got this right, we can submit any plane type with any pilot as long it was a plane type flown by MvR.
    Does this include planes he was only an observer in and not a pilot?
    Don

Please reread my first post again carefully as I have updated it to help clear a lot of these questions up.

With the contest having so many plane type options as it is, I'm going to say that substituting one type for another is not going to be allowed.

Congrats on the idea, Herr Oberst. There is a plenty of types and paint schemes to pick and choose. I'm definitely in

I am not absolutely certain I understand the rules.

Does the miniature have to be painted in the scheme flown by MvR, or does it just have to be the same type, painted in any scheme we may please?

With the contest having so many plane type options as it is, I'm going to say that substituting one type for another is not going to be allowed.
    Now I'm confused. Since the Haberstadt D.III has been added to the official list and both planes are now on it I would've thought repainting one as the other would be a non-issue, but with your response I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    I am not absolutely certain I understand the rules.

Does the miniature have to be painted in the scheme flown by MvR, or does it just have to be the same type, painted in any scheme we may please?
    Pick any of the planes on the list in the first post (they are all types flown by MvR) and paint it up as any historical or fictional pilot/scheme you chose.

Now I'm confused. Since the Haberstadt D.III has been added to the official list and both planes are now on it I would've thought repainting one as the other would be a non-issue, but with your response I'm not so sure.
    If you want to do a D.II paint scheme, use a D.II mini. If you want to do a D.III, use a D.III. Pretty simple I thought. If you really want to paint one as the other, make it a fictional scheme as those are allowed.

Woo, I have 2 triplanes and a halberstadt (all shapeways) that I haven't done yet.

I am in

Dave

Same here, I haven't managed to take part in any competitions yet for one reason or another but I have a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I may just have a go at this myself.
    Rob.
    ...so the Grand Prix is already taken

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    ...so the Grand Prix is already taken

Do not despair old chap. I have not won anything for years.
    Rob.

Interesting, I might have a go myself.

How about some images of the planes he was in. I have looked and can only find the Fokker Dr.I and the Albatros D.III and D.V

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    The Jim Miller poster further down the first page is THE very best listing of MvR's various aircraft & colours.

If you want to do a D.II paint scheme, use a D.II mini. If you want to do a D.III, use a D.III. Pretty simple I thought. If you really want to paint one as the other, make it a fictional scheme as those are allowed.
    To convert a D.III (for example, from Ares) to a D.II, remove the upwards-trunked exhaust, and scratchbuild a pipe exhaust to starboard.

Name:  46-1.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  62.6 KB
    Name:  Halb-D2-818-16_03.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  134.6 KB

This picture shows MvR talking with Ltn von Gerstenberger in front of a Halberstadt.

Name:  610x_Wings-of-Glory_HalbDIII-Richthofen.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  39.4 KB

Having had a traipse around the Aerodrome site....

Jasta 11 when MvR was there flew;
    Early batch Halberstadt D.IIs in CDL
    Middle batch Halberstadt D.IIs in Rust/Olive
    At least one D.III in Rust/Olive
    By February 1917, mostly Halberstadt D.Vs

In February 1917, MvR scored a kill while flying "a Halberstadt".
    Before then, he flew a "camouflaged Halberstadt" on daytrips to his nearby home.
    Ferko's list (Richthofen, pp.79) shows Jasta 11 had a preponderance of Halb. D.Vs--of the 13 Halberstadts exchanged for Albatros D.IIIs, eleven were Halb D.Vs, one was a D.II and one a D.III.
    Around 16 February 1917, the pilots of Jasta 11 began scoring at an accelerated rate, it is thought that this accelerated scoring was because the Alb.D.III were replacing the Halb. D.II aircraft from about this date. Jasta 11 did not complete the conversion to the Alb. D.III until 28 March 1917.
    Did he ever fly a red-painted early CDL Halberstadt D.II? Not impossible, but no evidence for it.

Did he fly the rust/olive Halberstadt (D.II or D.III) in the picture? Maybe.
    "In the background is seen a Halberstadt D which may have been flown by von Richthofen in the Homeland".
    Was he flying a D.V when he got his kill in February? Probably.
    On 01.Feb.1917 he shot down a B.E.2e (No. 6742) of No.16 RFC at 16.00. It was his 19th victory and the allied crew was killed (Pilot Lt. P.W. Murray, Observer Lt. T.D. McRae).

In those days MvR flew a Halberstadt because on 24th of January the lower wing of his Albatros D.III cracked in flight and he first wanted to be sure why this happened (structural weakness, a common problem of the D.III/D.V(a)).
    What seriels? We don't know. We have records of Jasta 11 having D.II 107/16 - a CDL one, and D.III 129/16 - light blue with black/white stripe.

In the back of Ferko's "Richthofen" book, there is a listing of Halberstadts assigned to Jasta 11 up to 30 October 1916 (five D.Vs and one D.II) and another list of a/c supplied up to December 31, 1916 (1 D.II, four Hannover-built D.IIs, one D.III, 12 D.Vs) and eighteen different Halberstadts used up to February 28, 1917. I presume these serials came from AFP 6 records, since Ed was a very careful historian. D.III 129/16 is not listed among them anywhere.

Awesome information Zoe.. thanks much... my thoughts when I first read this was that all a/c should be painted in a von Richthofen scheme.. but seems that isn't the case.. I have 6 of the dual packs with Dr1s in them.. might have to push my paint schedule to the fore front of my list of 'to do' things..

I am toying with the idea of painting a mini for this, but I have seen so many great paint jobs on here that it is a bit intimidating. To be sure, I paint 40k and have the supplies. My Profile pic is my IG commander, but still. IT seems like a forlorn hope. I might still try it. An autographed card would be awesome. I love autographs. I guess it is the historian in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    I am toying with the idea of painting a mini for this, but I have seen so many great paint jobs on here that it is a bit intimidating. To be sure, I paint 40k and have the supplies. My Profile pic is my IG commander, but still. IT seems like a forlorn hope. I might still try it. An autographed card would be awesome. I love autographs. I guess it is the historian in me.
    A good friend who owned a hobby shop once told me that when you are already a winner when you enter a painting contest. Its very hard to show your work to the public and open it up to a critical eye. That being said, I sometimes that we are our own worst critics, and tend to judge our own work harder than the public does. GO FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    You can't win it if you're not in it!

Just like our mommas told us, it's not winning that matters, it's having fun while trying to win. I personally look at these contests as a motivator to get me to actually paint something and share it with the group. Even though there are better painters then me, I know everyone enjoys looking at custom painted minis. And there will always be people that don't paint as good as me, so my entries could serve as inspiration to them. And even if my paint job was the worst one ever posted, it could still give someone that has never tried painting a mini the inspiration to try since they could at least do as good as me.

Another thing to note that I have not specifically stated here on the site yet, but could be inferred by the painting contest medals, is that there is a limit to the number of these contests that a single person and win. While it will take some time for the “best” painters to win their way out of the competitions, you will be gaining valuable experience by entering as often as you can until that time comes

I could if the eindecker was on the list but it isn't so I can't - bugger

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I could if the eindecker was on the list but it isn't so I can't - bugger
    As per my post #5 above, it should be!

On page 10 of 'Richthofen' (Ferko, Albatros 1995) there are 2 photographs of a very badly bent Fokker E.III with captions as follows:

'Top, an eager but inexperienced young pilot ended up the victim of the notoriously unreliable Oberusel motor - in this case it was Ltn Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen of Kagohl 2/8. Shortly after take-off the motor failed on this Fokker E.III and von Richthofen was fortunate to escape with his life - it was a close call.

'Above, another view of Richthofen's crashed E.III. The Fokker had hit the earth and turned right over. Here it is being righted proir to being loaded onto a trailer for shipment to AFP 5.'

On page 17 of 'Red Baron; The Life and Death of an Ace' (Kilduff, D&C 2007) MvR (translated) is quoted as stating 'After annoying my commanding officer for along time, I finally received permission to go up in a Fokker ... [and at first] it felt strange to be completely alone in a small aeroplane. I shared the Fokker with my friend Leutnant der Reserve Hans Reimann ... I flew it in the morning and he in the afternoon. Each of us was afraid the other would smash the crate to pieces. On the second day we flew against the enemy.'

So, not only did MvR pilot an E.III, he flew it operationally.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-02-2013 at 10:06. Reason: Kilduff reference added

Is there any particular reason the Albatros D.II is not included in the list of aircraft flown by the Rittmeister?

Many references exist regarding his use of the D.II with Jasta 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Is there any particular reason the Albatros D.II is not included in the list of aircraft flown by the Rittmeister?

Only the Herr Oberst can answer that one Carl. Why not drop him a P.M.
    Rob.

Default Which references?

Neither Ferko nor Kilduff, probably two of the most up-to-date references on MvR, specifically mention his flying an Albatros D.II, though they were certainly flown by Jasta 2 during his time there. Nor is there anything specific in 'Jasta Boelcke' (Franks, Grub Street 2004). He certainly flew the Albatros D.I, as per post #5.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-02-2013 at 09:06. Reason: Franks ref added

I don't have the book in front of me but as I recall Franks 'Under the Guns of the Red Baron' has him flying an Albatros D.II in his fight with Lanoe Hawker on 23 November 1916.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-02-2013 at 15:05.

I don't have the book in front of me but as I recall Franks 'Under the Guns of the Red Baron' has him flying an Albatros D.II in his fight with Lanoe Hawker on 23 September 1916.
    I think you'll find he shot down Hawker on 23 November 1916.

Actually, I've just found a reference, and from MvR himself. Over on 'The Aerodrome', Jim Miller (editor of 'Manfred Von Richthofen: The Aircraft, Myths And Accomplishments Of The Red Baron') states that the only reference to any plane he flew during his first 52 victories was during #15 on 27 December 1916, when he wrote he flew "Albatros D.481", which would be an early (tenth machine, in fact) first production batch D.II.

So, from MvR's own accounts, both the Fokker E.III and Albatros D.II should be added to the competition list.

Name:  JFM04MvRDII.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  44.7 KB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-02-2013 at 10:03. Reason: Miller ref added

The Fokker E.III and Albatros D.II have been added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    I think you'll find he shot down Hawker on 23 November 1916.
    Of course Baldrick, post amended. That's what you get for writing posts at 2.17am!

Try page 27, Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke'. Osprey. Greg Wyngarden. Picture at bottom of page caption:
    'Four Albatross machine of JAsta 2 are lined up on Lagnicourt airfield. Von Richtofen appears at left in the light coloured sweater, just in front of his Albatross DII'

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Neither Ferko nor Kilduff, probably two of the most up-to-date references on MvR, specifically mention his flying an Albatros D.II, though they were certainly flown by Jasta 2 during his time there. Nor is there anything specific in 'Jasta Boelcke' (Franks, Grub Street 2004). He certainly flew the Albatros D.I, as per post #5.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Try page 27, Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke'. Osprey. Greg Wyngarden. Picture at bottom of page caption:
    'Four Albatross machine of JAsta 2 are lined up on Lagnicourt airfield. Von Richtofen appears at left in the light coloured sweater, just in front of his Albatross DII'
    Try reading post #39.

Just trying to add my tuppence ha'penny to the mix.

Would a small diorama (featuring a single plane) be eligible as an entry?

I am not the contest organizer, but would say no to your question, Jan. It could distract voters from judging repaints. Any model looks better in a nice climatic background, than without it. But let Herr Oberst decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Would a small diorama (featuring a single plane) be eligible as an entry?
    As someone who I guess techncally did this in the bomber contest, I'd think the pics should be allowed but the understanding should be that it is the plane that is to be judged for the contest, not the ccompanying scenery. At the end of the day every entry is affected by the quality of the pictures and chosen backgrounds.

I did allow it in the bomber contest, but that was because there was only two entries. I'm going to have to say no in this one, sorry Jan. However, a diorama contest could be very cool!

OK, no problem, I shall then repaint a different plane, but I am going to create the diorama anyway, contest entry or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. DH.2 Takes Flight Painting Contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 12:34
  2. WW II Painting contest
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 06:14
  3. Site: What type of non-painting contest would you like to see?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 01:06
  4. Painting contest subject restrictions?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:21
  5. ACE painting contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:42