Ares Games

Thread: Scenario 4: Midway Rising

Lightbulb Scenario 4: Midway Rising

Scenario 4: Midway Rising

Historical Background:

The Battle of Midway is widely regarded as the most important naval battle of the Pacific Campaign of World War II. Between 4 and 7 June 1942, only six months after Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, and one month after the Battle of the Coral Sea, the United States Navy decisively defeated an Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) attack against Midway Atoll, inflicting irreparable damage on the Japanese fleet.

The Japanes launched their carrier based fighter squadrons agein to become air superiority over the Midway Islands to destroy as many US-planes as possible, clear the path for their Val and Kate bombers to prepare the invasion of ground troops.

US Navy, USAF and USMC defend Midway with all planes they could bring up in the air. As long as the Japanese carriers are undetected and are still a threat, the US forces need to keep the Midway airbase operational at all cost.

Setup:

The Japanese attackers planes start on one side of the gaming area, the US defenders on the other side. If you use carrier based US Navy planes and US Army planes or USMC planes, they start in different corners of their side. Choose any formation you want.

Mission goal:

This is a standart dogfight mission without special rules.

Shoot down as many enemy fighters as possible.

Planes:

Japan: Mitsubishi Zero fighter planes

US Navy: Wildcat F4F-3 & Wildcat F4F-4 & Wildcat FM-1
    USAAF: Curtiss P40 Warhawk
    USMC: Wildcat F4F-3 & Wildcat F4F-4 & Wildcat FM-1 & Brewster F2A Buffalo

Number of planes for a solo game:

Count the number of your planes and take one and a half enemy fighters per own plane. Round up if needed.

2 own versus 3 enemies
    3 own versus 5 enemies
    4 own versus 6 enemies
    etc...

If it's get too hot with 3 vs. 5 and 4 vs. 6 - you can bring one own reinforcement after the 10th maneuver.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-02-2013 at 23:33.

Hi Sven Im new to the WW2 missions but have a particular interest in the Pacific Theatre looking to boost my Zeros and Wildcats and will be trying this mission out soon

Ok. I'm curious.

This is the 4th mission of our short solo campaign.

Use Blackronin's advanced solo rules for the AI planes. The Immelman maneuvers are always a nice suprise.

I think I'll fly it with one P40 and two or three Wildcat's from my VF-8 (USS Hornet).

My three Zeros against 3xF4F and 2x P40. I hope they will "take care" of US planes

Thanks Sven for the new mission I think I'll play it next week.

Marco

Ok, Marco, please read the extra sentence I add to the number of planes.

I have a bad feeling about this 3 vs. 5 and 4 vs. 6 even if we throw our aces in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Ok, Marco, please read the extra sentence I add to the number of planes.

I have a bad feeling about this 3 vs. 5 and 4 vs. 6 even if we throw our aces in.
    I think it will be a hard fight

Marco

Fought the first part of the scenario today.

After two and a half hour combat (5 AI planes took their time ) one USAAF P40, my squadron leader and two Zeros are shot down at the moment.

I hope the best for the second part. Maybe Chapmann and Hunter (Hunter is the reenforcemet after 10 maneuvers) will succed versus the remaining three Zeros.

I choosed five normal Zero pilots as attacker. Schneider's and Chapmann's veteran evasion ability was badly needed.

Those Japs shot down my squadron leader. I hope he'll survive this battle. They get him directly over Midway.

After 2 more hours the air battle over midway is won.

Don't ask for the condition of my two remaining Wildcats. One of the pilots is wounded, too.

That was so close...

Without the Evasion ability of two of my pilots, the reinforcemet after the 10th maneuver, the Japs would have whiped out my whole force.

Black Ronin's advanced rules made the Japs a lot of Immelmann Maneuvers and sometimes the Zeros simply outmaneuver my planes with Richard's basic rules.

Similar Missions

1. Midway Rising - the planes
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 17:30
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 13:55
  3. AAR: Midway Rising - Bombing Midway (US Nightbomber)
    By Nightbomber in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:52
  4. Midway Rising - A Cooperative Solo Campaign
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 16:57