Ares Games

Thread: A vintage taste for your deep-fried Mars Bar!

Default A vintage taste for your deep-fried Mars Bar!

WWII lard washes up on beach at St Cyrus nature reserve!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21079285
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-28-2013 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not quite Whiskey Galore Balders.
    Kyte.
    No, and more's the pity!

A wonderful reinforcement of frugal national stereotypes, or an illustration of how needs must?

'Angus McHardy, a local resident and retired fisherman, said he remembers similar events in the in early 1940s.

' "I'd never seen anything like it," he said. "There was quite a lot washed up at St Cyrus and beyond, not quite to Montrose.

' "Some barrels were complete and others were just lumps. People collected it. My grandma boiled it up to get the sand out. It was great because we couldn't get fat during the war.'

A very curious news better than an Allied 200 kg bomb of WWII to defuse near Ciampino Airport (close to Rome) that in early February has forced more than 3,000 people to leave their homes and temporarily halted flights for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    A very curious news better than an Allied 200 kg bomb of WWII to defuse near Ciampino Airport (close to Rome) that in early February has forced more than 3,000 people to leave their homes and temporarily halted flights for several hours.
    It would be interesting to know for how many Centuries this sort of wartime detritus is going to keep turning up.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It would be interesting to know for how many Centuries this sort of wartime detritus is going to keep turning up.
    Rob.
    Hmmm, what's the half-life of lard?

As far as metal objects go, as archaeologists are still digging up weapons from the Bronze Age, I think that unless they go bang in the meantime, 'modern' wartime relics are with us forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post

As far as metal objects go, as archaeologists are still digging up weapons from the Bronze Age, I think that unless they go bang in the meantime, 'modern' wartime relics are with us forever.
    Yes, I expect you are right Balders. In the right conditions, even some Iron swords and arrow heads have survived from Prehistoric times, so just because it is made of steel does not mean that it will rust away as a matter of course.
    Rob.

I was reminded by my father that a 300+ y.o. keg of butter was recovered on the wreck of the Vasa.

I believe that today in some places archaeologists should not use a machete to open a path in a forest impenetrable but a metal detector to know where to put their feet or dig. The same is true for people who build buildings or roads.

[QUOTE=flash;202308]We find Kings in our carparks !! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21063882 [/QeUOTE]

That cracked me up! Good one!

You never knbow what people find. I saw this one video of the Dutch guys digging up helmets, medals and other badges that were in pretty good shape after being burried for nearly 70 years.

One of the things North Americans can be thankful for, a lack of old explosive munitions lying about.
    (though they do still find explosive shells on old Civil War battlefields).
    I have a friend who served as a EOT in London years ago, helping defuse bombs from both wars.
    Karl

We'll probably be digging up mines in the Falklands for decades, left behind by the "visitors" in 1982

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    We'll probably be digging up mines in the Falklands for decades, left behind by the "visitors" in 1982
    A dead cert, as we're not lifting any but have simply cordoned off large areas of East Falkland. So unless rainfall causes migration or stray animals cause explosions, they're there in perpetuity.

Could be worse. What if this little lot goes up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-estuary.html

Just recently a live 105mm artillery shell was found in the Willamette Valley. I think you'd be surprised at just where the military had firing ranges earlier in our history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One of the things North Americans can be thankful for, a lack of old explosive munitions lying about.
    (though they do still find explosive shells on old Civil War battlefields).
    I have a friend who served as a EOT in London years ago, helping defuse bombs from both wars.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    Could be worse. What if this little lot goes up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-estuary.html
    I'm surprised no one's thought to deal with it "the old-fashioned way": Evacuate the area, and blow it in place. If it's going to blow anyway, better it happen in a way where folk are ready for it....

A dead cert,
    Given the topic, was this *really* the best choice of phrase? :)

Best thing for it is to leave it exactly where it is

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Best thing for it is to leave it exactly where it is
    Except it won't stay where it is; sometime it will blow. How big is another matter.
    Granted it's not my coastline, but I'd be pushing for something, maybe robotic extraction of the cargo, crate by crate.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Given the topic, was this *really* the best choice of phrase?
    Yep, deep-fried Mars Bars are a cardiac fatal: dead cert!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-28-2013 at 16:02.

Why do you think it will blow? How many WW1 and Ww2 era battleships have blown up in recent years? There are thousands of tonnes of explosives littered around the shores of the world in sunken ships and as long as oyu leave it where it is, nice and wet, it is not a problem. Start to take it out and thats when you massively increase the risk

(one of my first hobs was helping a team supporting work on the wreck of the Royal Oak, where just these kind of issues were discussed and researched)

No, over here we worry about souvenirs. Locally, just a week or so ago, the bomb squad detonated a live Japanese grenade found at a yard sale, and about a year ago detonated a live Japanese mortar shell found in someones garage. Every time I visit a museum with an exhibition of munitions I wonder how many might still be live, particularly small museums. The National Museum of the Air Force found fuel in their A1E Skyraider last December and had to close the galleries. If a major museum can miss something like that you have to wonder about the smaller ones and what they have missed.

A better appreciation of the size of these things, and canine appreciation of a whole new scale of dog treats!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	91612

I'm surprised no one's thought to deal with it "the old-fashioned way": Evacuate the area, and blow it in place.
    I think the problem with doing that is the proximity of the oil refinery. It might solve the problem once and for all, but it's likely to take the town with it. Or does that class as urban renovation?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Or does that class as urban renovation?
    Somewhat further west, but foreseeing Luftwaffe 'urban renewal':

'Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.'
    - John Betjeman (1937)

Somewhat further west, but foreseeing Luftwaffe 'urban renewal':

'Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.'
    - John Betjeman (1937)
    Classic Balders.
    Just as long as you don't live in Slough that is.
    Rob.

Interesting post. However, I do like deep-fried mars bars and deep fried twinkles, yum, yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Interesting post. However, I do like deep-fried mars bars and deep fried twinkles, yum, yum.
    Hmmm, I wonder why he's called 'Big' Blake?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I think the problem with doing that is the proximity of the oil refinery. It might solve the problem once and for all, but it's likely to take the town with it. Or does that class as urban renovation?
    Properly done (that is: Build a revetment on the side nearest the town to divert the blast wave), it shouldn't be a problem.

Properly done (that is: Build a revetment on the side nearest the town to divert the blast wave), it shouldn't be a problem.
    I'm sure no-one's considered that in the last 70 years!

Similar Missions

1. Solo Rules AAR - A Bitter Taste of Victory
    By Watchdog in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 03:23
  2. Ah the sweet taste of a classic!!
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 08:28
  3. Another sad loss of a vintage aircraft
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7