Ares Games

Thread: All In

littlejohn

Default All In

Hello everyone,

I just got in the post a set of 9 Albatros D.V machines from Ares and my intention is to do them up repainted as a Jasta. I've got some of Dom's decals on the way, but am hoping for more repainting info to get going on the project. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	78003

So nine planes painted to a specific historical Jasta...a bit of a painting challenge?

Greetings Dave,

Are you looking for painting schemes or "how to" type of help?

Welcome to the Aerodrome. Stop by the U.S. Wing and introduce yourself sometime. Folks will be happy to meet you.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

That is a marvelous project, I'll look forward to your progress and will, undoubtedly, be inspired to finish all of mine paints/repaints.

littlejohn

I'm excited to take this on. I have a good bit of experience with historical minis (littlejohnslead.blogspot.com) but this is my first WW1 project. WoW/G is my latest obsession. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on, but colors and markings are a bit harder to come by so any help is much appreciatied!

Looks like nice!!Good luck for you, I guess will be a hard work.
    Good luck!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    I'm excited to take this on. I have a good bit of experience with historical minis (littlejohnslead.blogspot.com) but this is my first WW1 project. WoW/G is my latest obsession. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on, but colors and markings are a bit harder to come by so any help is much appreciatied!
    There's a number of helpful threads around the Hobby section.
    Osprey books are a good source.
    Wings Pallet is a good online source.
    And you can always use Google or google image.
    Searching by pilot or Jasta works best, followed by plane.
    Karl

I just got in the post a set of 9 Albatros D.V machines from Ares and my intention is to do them up repainted as a Jasta. I've got some of Dom's decals on the way, but am hoping for more repainting info to get going on the project.
    If you've got his Jasta 37 decals coming in, then you're pretty much set. Just make sure he e-mails you a copy of the instruction sheet that goes with it. If you're unhappy with the lozenge cammo tha comes on the plane, you might have to look for a good set of replacement decals (or try to paint lozenge by hand, if you're insane). Otherwise, you just need to find/mix a mauve you're content with.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing them.

Thumbs up

G'day Dave & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

Do you have any particular Jasta in mind?
    I have a number of the Osprey Elite series on JG 1 & Jasta 18 Plus the 2 Albatross Aces books so might be able to assist with colour schemes.

littlejohn

It looks like I'm going with Jasta 37 using 3 Udet and 3 Jacobs D.V minis- (all in J37 livery) so I'll only have to do some limited painting of 4 of the aircraft. I found some great images and color profiles of Jasta 37 at a 1/32 scale modeling website called "Wingnut Wings"
    http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3033
    So initially it will be a six machine Jasta. My other three minis are Von Hippel (I think Jasta 5?) so when I get the hang of painting them, I'll tackle the bigger job of doing the last three.

I've always thought it was a good idea to expand on existing units that we get as official planes. It's a quite way to fill out a unit and gives you a good starting point. In the coming months, the AA site will have a couple of decal offerings that will help you in your Jasta 5 repainting project.

It will be great to see this come along. Keep us posted!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I've always thought it was a good idea to expand on existing units that we get as official planes. It's a quite way to fill out a unit and gives you a good starting point. In the coming months, the AA site will have a couple of decal offerings that will help you in your Jasta 5 repainting project.
    This is good news. Look forward to their availability.

It looks like I'm going with Jasta 37 using 3 Udet and 3 Jacobs D.V minis- (all in J37 livery) so I'll only have to do some limited painting of 4 of the aircraft.
    If you're using some Udet miniatures, and some non-Udet you will have more work to do on the tail. My first recommenation would be to try and switch out for all Udet models if you can manage without too much difficulty. If not, you will have to paint the diagonal tail stripes by hand on the Jacobs models. If you end up going that route, you have decision to make about the stripes you paint. The Udet model uses the same decal for the top and botom of the tail, so the stripes are backwards on the lower surface. Are you going to do your tail repaints to match the existing decals, or paint the bottoms in the proper direction, even though it won't match the Udet models (or you could go one step further and fix ALL of the tail undersurfaces)?

All of those Jasta 37 schemes from Wingnuts are covered in Dom's decal sheet, so you should have no problem doing them.

And just to make sure, you're aware the Jacobs didn't actually fly in Jasta 37? I believe he was in Jasta 7 when flying the plane modelled by Ares, and Jasta 22 before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    And just to make sure, you're aware the Jacobs didn't actually fly in Jasta 37? I believe he was in Jasta 7 when flying the plane modelled by Ares, and Jasta 22 before that.
    That is correct.