Jesús
    Sorties Flown

When can we buy them???

I want more planes!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

i second the above statement, i want my hurris and stukas!

I must say I'm kind of disappointed in there only being one UK Hurricane mini I like the look of the Vals the best I think.

We'll see how it goes, but right now I'm leaning towards only picking 1-2 of each of these up and mainly sticking with other 1/144 scale minis for DoW

I agree! I thought the same when I saw the Spitfires.

Made up my mind about those minis. I'm propably gonna buy the english and the dutch Hurricane (the Russian one might be better in stats but I really don't like the painting), two stukas (italian and german, whereas I was really hoping for two german stukas I can use in for the Europe theatre), two japanese bombers and maybe one devotine (but in this case I don't like the paintings at all).

I think my purchases will be all three Vals, the ETO Stuka, the UK Hurricane and maybe, just maybe the French 520 just to have at least one of each plane in case I need it to game some place.

I'm really not happy with all the mixed countries. I think having all the countries on the cards is a great idea, but when it comes to minis, I want them to be cohesive on the table.

my words - cheers

Default Variety

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I think my purchases will be all three Vals, the ETO Stuka, the UK Hurricane and maybe, just maybe the French 520 just to have at least one of each plane in case I need it to game some place.

I'm really not happy with all the mixed countries. I think having all the countries on the cards is a great idea, but when it comes to minis, I want them to be cohesive on the table.
    On the positive side having an Italian D.520 and an Italian Ju 87 means you can play Meditteranean and North African missions as the Regia Aeronautica.

The Russki Hurricane will at least give us a mini for Eastern Front battles, until we have the Yak-1B and other Soviet aircraft to field.

The Belgian Hurricane is probably the least useful from an historical point of view, as most were destroyed on the ground on 10 May 1940. Good subject for a repaint though.

Cheers,

Carl.

While I do appreciate the side shoots into the Med and North Africa, at this point in the life cycle of the WWII miniatures, it only serves to dilute both those areas of operation as well as the two main ones, Europe and the Pacific. I would much rather see them concentrate on the two main ones first and maybe release a Med Deluxe box set at some point with these re-painted planes. Heck, or even just give us the decals for these side shoot theaters with the miniatures. That way would could have the best of both worlds with a little repainting.

True, if you want to support afrika, why not producing a Bf109 as well for this theater in the first place? Four planes of each type might have been a better choice (two for europe, two for different theaters).

A Deluxe set for these theaters would also have been a great idea - or just a plane set with about four planes in africa camo, or something like that.

True - if you want to support afrika, why not producing a Bf109 as well for this theater in the first place? Four planes of each type might have been a better choice (two for europe, two for different theaters).

A Deluxe set for these theaters would also have been a great idea - or just a plane set with about four planes in africa camo, or something like that.

If you just collect, fair enough. If you want to play you are more or less forced to repaint or put on decals.
    Last edited by Scoop; 02-01-2010 at 09:03. Reason: added some stuff

Hmmm...yes it is a bit disappointing to see the mixed countries especially on the Hurricanes....I would have thought 2 British would have been better.

My buying habits with WWI have been 8 of each set(usually 2 of each model). Since I already exceeded that with DoW(Own all 16) I will probably settle on 5-7 of this set....most likely 6.
    1-British Hurricane (I already have 2 AIR200 models)
    1-French 520
    1-2-Stukas (Already have 2 AIR200)
    2-3 Vals (Already have 2 AIR200)

A 2nd deluxe set could throw this plan off though.

Is there an allied plane in series 2 which flew in the pacific theater?

Default Hurricanes in Malaya, Java and Burma

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Is there an allied plane in series 2 which flew in the pacific theater?
    Hi Scoop. The RAF flew Hurricanes over Burma, Singapore and the Dutch East Indies. Here's a quick summary from Wikipedia:

"Following the outbreak of war with Japan, 51 Hurricane Mk IIs were sent in crates to Singapore, with 24 pilots, the nucleus of five squadrons. They arrived on 3 January 1942, by which time the Allied fighter squadrons in Singapore, flying Brewster Buffalos, had been overwhelmed in the Malayan campaign. The Imperial Japanese Army Air Force's fighter force, especially the Nakajima Ki-43, had been underestimated in its capability, numbers and the strategy of its commanders.

Arriving by sea in crates, 51 Hurricanes were assembled in 48 hours and ready for testing. Twenty-one were ready for service within three days, thanks to the efforts of the 151st Maintenance unit. The Hurricanes suffered in performance. The crews equipped them with 12, rather than eight machine guns. This made them slow to climb and unwieldy to manoeuvre, although they were more effective bomber killers.

The recently-arrived pilots were formed into 232 Squadron. In addition, 488(NZ) Squadron, a Buffalo squadron, converted to Hurricanes. On 18 January, the two squadrons formed the basis of 226 Group. 232 Squadron became operational on 20 January and suffered the first losses and scored the first victories for the Hurricane in East Asia.

Between 27 and 30 January, another 48 Hurricanes (Mk IIA) arrived with the aircraft carrier HMS Indomitable, from which they flew to airfields code-named P1 and P2, near Palembang, Sumatra in the Dutch East Indies.

Because of inadequate early warning systems, Japanese air raids were able to destroy 30 Hurricanes on the ground in Sumatra, most of them in one raid on 7 February. After Japanese landings in Singapore, on 10 February, the remnants of 232 and 488 Squadrons were withdrawn to Palembang. However, Japanese paratroopers began the invasion of Sumatra on 13 February. Hurricanes destroyed six Japanese transport ships on 14 February, but lost seven aircraft in the process. On 18 February, the remaining Allied aircraft and aircrews moved to Java. By this time, only 18 serviceable Hurricanes remained out of the original 99.

After Java was invaded, some of the pilots were evacuated by sea to Australia. One aircraft which had not been assembled, was transferred to the RAAF, becoming the only Hurricane to see service in Australia, with training and other non-combat units."

Hurricanes saw extensive use in Burma, particularly in the fighter-bomber role where they soldiered on until 1944.

Cheers,

Carl.

Hmmm fairly ordinary selection!

I'll have two of Baders Hurricane on release and then two Euro JU87's and the two white Vals just for the decks in about 6-12 months from now after they hit the discount table.

All the more reason why I will keep collecting 1/144 models instead.

THX Carl!

Default Series II Planes Delayed?

Wow! The new planes are delayed until April? Does anyone in this company realise the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain is this summer? Would have been a great time to have Hurricanes (the most numerous), Ju87 Stukas, Me110 Zerstorers and maybe even a hurriedly produced Ju88. They could have introduced the bomber series like they did the WWI balloon pack. Just dreaming, I guess.
    Last edited by rickcundiff; 02-03-2010 at 23:46. Reason: typo

Where did you hear it was delayed until April?

From your post #60, on 1/6/10.

Ah, I thought you might have seen an official announcement or release date some place.

Default Battle of France, Battle of Britain

Quote Originally Posted by rickcundiff View Post
    Wow! The new planes are delayed until April? Does anyone in this company realise the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain is this summer? Would have been a great time to have Hurricanes (the most numerous), Ju87 Stukas, Me110 Zerstorers and maybe even a hurriedly produced Ju88. They could have introduced the bomber series like they did the WWI balloon pack. Just dreaming, I guess.
    If we don't have WW2 series II by July I will be very upset!

But just in case I have been painting up my own 1:200 scale aircraft.

And I have more on the way - 3 x Ju88A, another Ju87B, 2 more Bf110C, 3 x Fairey Battles, 3 x Morane M.S.406, 3 x Hurricanes, 3 x Blenheim IV and a Dornier Do17P. They will be ready by May in time for a 'Battle of France' campaign.

For the Battle of Britain I will grab a 'Kette' of Heinkel He-111 bombers as well.

Hopefully these forces can be supplemented with Series II machines!

Cheers,

Carl.

Default New WWII planes (Series 2)

I must have ESP, or something. Just announced today, (2/4) on www.theminiaturespage.com , the series two miniatures will be out by the END(!) of 2010. AARRGGHH!! They are coming out with new cards (series 3), in the spring of 2010. This makes no sense to me, shouldn't it be the other way around? The only good news is word of a He111 model to be released as well. I guess I'll have to buy some metal models as well, Carl. BTW, I just painted four Me110's in the paint scheme of the famous picture of the Me110 with the cliffs of Dover in the background. It was a Signal propaganda shot, I hear. I will post them when I get magnets for my stands. I liked seeing your Me110's, have you used them in action yet? I have one "kill" from the rear gunner of a Furuta Me110 using the "Hunters in the Sky" rules (Polaris Games). One of the proudest moments of my gaming life.
    Last edited by rickcundiff; 02-04-2010 at 06:45. Reason: typo

I must have ESP, or something. Just announced today, (2/4) on www.theminiaturespage.com , the series two miniatures will be out by the END(!) of 2010. AARRGGHH!! They are coming out with new cards (series 3), in the spring of 2010. This makes no sense to me, shouldn't it be the other way around? The only good news is word of a He111 model to be released as well. I guess I'll have to buy some metal models as well, Carl. BTW, I just painted four Me110's in the paint scheme of the famous picture of the Me110 with the cliffs of Dover in the background. It was a Signal propaganda shot, I hear. I will post them when I get magnets for my stands. I liked seeing your Me110's, have you used them in action yet? I have one "kill" from the rear gunner of a Furuta Me110 using the "Hunters in the Sky" rules (Polaris Games). One of the proudest moments of my gaming life.
    Wow, this is not good.

Probably good news for my wallet though

Not sure what the delay is, but I think it only hurts them in the long run. I already know I will not be buying as many Serries II models as I would have because I have aquired other options. Now if More cards come out without models I will likely being buying more alternatives and less WoW models when serries 3 finally comes out in 2011 or 2012.

Default Series II due out in Spring 2010

I must have ESP, or something. Just announced today, (2/4) on www.theminiaturespage.com , the series two miniatures will be out by the END(!) of 2010. AARRGGHH!! They are coming out with new cards (series 3), in the spring of 2010.
    Hey Rick,

I found this paragraph at the end of the article:

"The WWII miniatures line will be expanded by the release of the 2nd and 3rd series of Airplane Packs, as well a series of Bombers. Arriving in the spring, the Wings of War Miniatures WWII Series II will feature the planes Hawker Hurricane, Dewoitine D.520, Junkers Ju.87 "Stuka" and Aichi D3A1 Val, each in three different painting schemes. The 3rd series will include the planes Curtiss P-40E Warhawk, Yakovlev Yak-1, Kawasaki Ki-61 and Reggiane Re.2001 Falco. A first series of Bombers Packs is also coming this year, introducing the models Henkel He.111 and North American B-25 Mitchell, each in two different painting schemes."

I'm pretty sure the 'Spring 2010' date is northern hemisphere spring, which is March to May, so it may not be as bad as first thought.

Fingers crossed it means early Spring not late Spring!

Cheers,

Carl.

Default Series 2 delays

Well I re-read the announcement and I think I did get it backwards. I think the Series 2 minis wil be out "in the spring" and the series 3 cards will be out soon after. I am still sad because the Series 2 were supposed to be released December, 2009. I need my Stukas! BTW, did anyone notice the swastika on the rudder of the Stuka was replaced by an "X"? I did not even notice it on my Me109's, because they are so small. There is a law on the German books prohibiting the display of the swastika. I just wonder if this has any influence on the release of our little toys? I am looking forward to the
    He111, because as a metal mini, they are a mounting nightmare! We had to make a three-stem device for our Gothas. Here is a picture
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8YxkfWQvmZ...h/Image099.jpg
    Last edited by rickcundiff; 02-05-2010 at 04:02. Reason: picture

Here you can see pics of the planes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Here you can see pics of the planes!
    Welcome to the 2nd page

BTW, did anyone notice the swastika on the rudder of the Stuka was replaced by an "X"? I did not even notice it on my Me109's, because they are so small. There is a law on the German books prohibiting the display of the swastika. I just wonder if this has any influence on the release of our little toys?
    Interesting. So, how does the model building industry over there handle this? Are there no scale models sold there with swastika decals?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Welcome to the 2nd page
    Ups, did not see it...

Nope, no swastikas at all - nowhere. They even sewed a left winged shop owner for selling shirt against nazis, on which a crossed out swastika can be seen. As far as I know they stopped the case because of the high press preasure. He later printed shirts with the crossed out word "Hakenkreuz" (which means swastika)

I also think you might get some problems when ordering swastika decals if the customs check the envelope. It might be bit different when it comes to art or historic things like coins etc. But you can definitely not buy models with the swastika on it. Which I personally don't really need.

But you can definitely not buy models with the swastika on it. Which I personally don't really need.
    Need may be the wrong word. Of course I don't need that either but on a historical model the details should be right. Take Voss' Albatros for example. He had a swastika painted on his plane that had nothing political to it because it was WW1 and not WW2 and he swastika did not yet have the meaning it was today.

I play very little WoW WW2 and if I do so I use Japanese planes for the central powers only because it simply is not fun for me to "fight for nazi germany" - not even in a game. But with Voss' Albatros adding the swastika was the first thing I did when I unpacked it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    I play very little WoW WW2 and if I do so I use Japanese planes for the central powers only because it simply is not fun for me to "fight for nazi germany" - not even in a game. But with Voss' Albatros adding the swastika was the first thing I did when I unpacked it.
    Hi Andre,

I had family on both sides of the line (Wehrmacht, Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force) and don't think twice about flying the Luftwaffe. I personally never refer to German troops as Nazis, for the vast majority weren't NSDAP members.

Here in Australia it was the Japanese who were regarded as the greatest evil, particularly after it became known how they treated Australian prisoners of war. After the war my grandfather would not have even spoken to a Japanese. I don't think even now my father, who was nine when the war ended, would fly Japanese aircraft.

It is interesting how that period in history still echoes today 60+ years after the end of WW2.

Carl.

Interesting to hear - I mean we have been grown up with politician who tell you every day you have to be ashamed of your country, because you are German. This changed in the last couple of year fortunately.

Hi Carl!

Of course you are right. The Japanese were (nearly) as bad as the Germans and also the allies did some questionable things during the war... But the problem is - as Scoop said - we were raised to feel guilty for the things our grandfathers have done.

Obviously that is the "problem" with historical wargaming. You cannot play without thinking about what really happend at the time you re-play... That said I can add that I am not so much into historical wargames. I prefer the fantasy ones...

I think I can still play the Germans without thinking I'm flying for Nazi Germany - after all it's just a game. That might be different if some jerk wants to play the bombing raid on Dresden of course.

I think I can still play the Germans without thinking I'm flying for Nazi Germany - after all it's just a game. That might be different if some jerk wants to play the bombing raid on Dresden of course.
    So, you only play missions that don't have a too tangible historic background?

(PS: This isn't meant offensive in any way. I am just curious.)

I actually never thought of playing historical scenarios. We try to be historically correct during our WWI campaign, according to the planes used. I'm also not a big wargamer though. It's a bit different when it comes to roleplaying games (but there you can transport a message with the scenario played).
    I mean it's just not nessesary to know which target you are going to bomb in a one-shot. Never thought of what it would be during a WWII campaign.

Interesting discussion btw

Sorry, I just don't buy into all the historical PC B.S. This is like having a ACW game and not allowing the stars and Bars for the Confederates. History is History. We remember so we do not repeat the mistakes. Changing history on a historical model to appease the PC crowd just baffles me.

We remember so we do not repeat the mistakes.
    History proofs that this is wrong. It repeats itself over and over again. It's just another nation with different symbols.

Well, the thing with the swastika in Germany is, that is called a "constitution threatening symbol" and therefore it's banned. On the other side Nazi groups are very creative in inventing symbols which look just like the forbidden ones but are slightly different.

History proofs that this is wrong. It repeats itself over and over again. It's just another nation with different symbols.

Well, the thing with the swastika in Germany is, that is called a "constitution threatening symbol" and therefore it's banned. On the other side Nazi groups are very creative in inventing symbols which look just like the forbidden ones but are slightly different.
    Well, in germany it is forbidden to use theese symbols in public or to propagate them (§86a StGB). Im not sure if you would get into legal trouble when you print theese symbols on historic models... But fact is: most people would not do that because it is considers as not political correct...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Just a short time ago something really weird happend. Courts had to decide wether a swastika that was crossed out and on its way to a liter bin was a "contitution threatening symbol".
    In spite oft being used by folks of the left political spektrum - so everything is possible....

Yeah, I wrote about that case somewhere on this site.

Yes, this was a case of "use in public"...

Back to topic - I saw a Russian Hurricane just like the one in this series but it had red stars in the green dots. Wonder why Nexus left them out on the wings.

I guess there were both versions...

So no official release date on these?

Nope, they are not even showing on FFG site yet... so most likely several months out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Balloon Photos
    By Ritterton in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 13:44