Ares Games

Thread: Easy and Cheap Game play area (table overlay/topper)

Cool Easy and Cheap Game play area (table overlay/topper)

If you are like me, then the thought of crawling on the floor and hunching over the board is a painful one. As a 40k player, I knew I would need to play this on a table. I also knew that most tables are too small. So, I made a table topper. In case you don't know, a table topper is a 'table top' made to lay on top of any surface and give you the correct dimensions as well as a clean and flat play area. Ideally, you put it on a table or a couple of saw horses to play while sitting in comfort. You could also put in on the floor for a quick way to know the board edge with certainty (and to create a slight elevation to the play area.

Fully extended at 140cm x 102cm (55inX40in)
    Name:  0213132138a.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  110.5 KB

I set the full size based on the suggested size of the scenarios published by Ares games. The scenarios released in the duel pack, the bomber special packs, and the scenario file on the web site all listed several scenarios at 140cm x 100cm. The other smaller scenarios (like a one on one dog fight) listed at 70cm so I made it to fold to 70cm X 100cm for a slightly longer (or wider, you choose) version.

Folded in half, it measures 100cm x 70cm
    Name:  0213132138.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  104.5 KB

So there it is when you are using it, but another thing I learned from 40k is that transporting your board is a hassle. You want the board to be as light as possible (my first 40k board long ago was a 1" plywood board and way way way too heavy). So, I used Dow Co. 3/4" blue sheet insulation. It is sturdy and able to hang over the edge by about 6 inches without sagging. The other thing is to have a portable board. Wings of Glory is already a boon since it doesn't neet as much room (55in x 40in vs. 40k's 6' x 4'). I bought a 4' x 8' sheet (I'm American so do the metric conversions if needed from here on out) and cut it down into 27.5in x 20in rectangles. I hinged it together to fold like a giant board game board.

So, folded it is 27.5in x 20in x 3in and very easy to carry and store.
    Name:  0213132137.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  106.4 KB

It is about the size of a large suitcase, but weighs less than a textbook. This means you can put it in any car or carry it one the bus/train and it won't break your wrist.

Here is the original brainstorming sketch, for posterity
    Name:  0213131109.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  136.8 KB

This project can easily be completed in an evening. I purchased the materials at 6pm and worked on it (with a lengthy dinner break and rest) until 9pm. It probably took about 2 total hours. Tools and materials used were a carpet knife (box cutter), Duct Tape, 3/4in sheet insulation (get the blue or pink) 4ft x 8ft sheet (or three 2ft x 4ft sheets)and a tape measure. A chalk line would have been helpful for cutting the edges straight.

I cut to size then covered all edges with tape for durability against damage and normal wear. I then created tape hinges and reinforced them with a ribbon of tape. To fold properly, you need to hinge the long edges together, then turn them over and attach each short edge on that side.

FOr a quick video showing it off, check out the post in the Hobby section called " Quick Video and link to article about an easy DIY game board "
    Last edited by Omegalazarus; 02-14-2013 at 06:45.

Neat idea Japeth and it will fit the new mats too

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Neat idea Japeth and it will fit the new mats too
    Agreed The high density polystrene is ideal for this. Well done.
    Paul

Great idea. This will definitely come in handy. Thanks.

Like it ,well done

Very good idea. I can get the appropriate size sheets of a sturdy cardboard from work that I had been considering, but I think I like this better..

Similar Missions

1. What size gaming area do you use to play.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-03-2022, 10:55
  2. Ken's new game table
    By CappyTom in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 17:57
  3. Quick & easy play mats
    By Albert Ross in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 09:36
  4. Greater Toronto Area WoW game day?