Ares Games

Thread: Fast Bombers - use the Heavy Fighter base?

Default Fast Bombers - use the Heavy Fighter base?

I have been fielding unofficial aircraft for WGS from the very first game I played three years ago, and recently I have been considering what base would be most suitable for the 'fast' bombers that saw service throughout WW2. A number of these aircraft were also used as heavy fighters and are often described as manouverable, 'fully-aerobatic' or agile, as opposed to their generally larger lumbering cousins.

Given these circumstances I have identified the following 'bombers' could use the 'heavy fighter' base, 86mm x 67mm:

Bloch MB.174/175
    Breguet 693
    Bristol Blenheim Mk.I
    Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV
    De Havilland Mosquito
    Dornier Do 17
    Douglas A-20 (Boston)
    Glenn Martin 167F (Maryland)
    Junkers Ju 88A
    Kawasaki Ki-48 'Lily'
    Lockheed Hudson Mk.I(IV)
    Martin B-26 Marauder
    Petlyakov Pe-2

This is by no means a definitive list. I would invite other members to nominate further aircraft types to add to this list.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 02-13-2013 at 19:04.

A good dividing line would be - was this aircraft ever used as a fighter?

I'd put the B-26 out, I don't see it as any better than a B-25 when it comes to maneuverability. Worse, if anything.
    DO-17 is iffy, though the larger 215 was a bit more nippy, it was still classed as a heavy bomber airframe, the nightfighters only being suitable for use vs 4-engined bombers.

Ju-88 was fast, but not that maneuverable, not in the same league as a 110 or Mossie.

Pe2 was originally a heavy fighter - definitely. Same with the Blenheims and Mossie. The A-20 had a number of successful nightfighter versions. The 167F was used as a fighter - but only against Ju52s and the like. Iffy. Again I don't see the Hudson or Ki-48 being any better than a B-25 in air combat.

Bloch 170 series were at least as maneuverable as 110s. Bregeuet 693 should in theory have been as good, but its combat record against fighters was poor.

Thanks for the response Zoe.

Do you think there is a place to pay regard to an aircraft's size and profile when considering base size? One reason I added the Do 17 was the type's remarked manoeuvrablity at low altitude, and the thin 'flying pencil' fuselage made it a difficult target. The Glenn Martin 167F had a similarly small profile.

The Lockheed Hudson version I was considering was the up-engined Mk.I(IV). Japanese ace Saboru Sakai mentions the manouverability of the Hudson in his book 'Samurai', and there are other reports of the Hudson's responsiveness.

I take your point on the Ju 88A, a very different aircraft to the Ju 88C, same with the B-26 and Ki-48.

Thanks again,

Carl.

Similar Missions

1. WW1 Heavy bombers - A size comparison.
    By Wombat in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:14
  2. Bombers Base size
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 19:05
  3. Fast Wing
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 16:07
  4. Super fast bombers. Are the rules broken?
    By vacca rabite in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 11:15
  5. Immelman too fast?
    By aikavaras in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 04:18