Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aerodrome get together

Ok I will wait to after the weekend so we know what people are up for and roughly how many are interested and then Hedeby and myself will make a daytime sortie to the airfield next week and report back .

Count me in, Richard. I have already checked air connections to Doncaster and will be there.

Richard count me in but again I can't confirm until after December. Then I'll know what the score is after we have been privatised.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Then I'll know what the score is after we have been privatised.
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    The museum isnt that busy normally but they will advertise the event and the wargames shows usually bring some people in but the fact that the visitors will be paying the museum entrance fee to get in they usually dont want to get involved in "long" games as they have paid to see the exhibits
    I have been involved in games and events at museums and other public places and in my experience the impact the public has on games and the events in general is minimal. I wouldn't have any concerns over then getting in the way of our games, they will probably just look on kindly and wonder what all those old blokes are doing playing with toy aeroplanes

It will probably be good to have one table set up for use as a participation game for those rare souls who take a look and want to give it a go though.

Oh, and I'm in for the event. SWMBO has approved my travel pass

One thing to consider - on the few occasions I have been to the air museum I have been the sum total of visitors, it is sort of tucked away, even if we were 'open to all comers' we would outnumber paying guests many times over - I might be doing the chaps there a dis service but it is a bit quiet a lot of the time....

Sorry, didn't mean to cause a fuss. I just thought that the event was going to be for us and that the price of the venue was dependent on visitors being allowed in. I also thought it would be a bit unfair on Rob and Chris, as they seem to always be the ones that explain what is happening and I thought if we were on our own it would give them a good weekends gaming without the other stuff. I'm happy to go anyway, so count me in.

I would like to go, so put me down as a provisional and I will try my hardest to persuade swmbo.

As instructed by Boney yesterday I can confirm my intention to be at the event.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As instructed by Boney yesterday I can confirm my intention to be at the event.
    Rob.
    Chris has obvious command of "The Bearing"

(fans of Toby Frost will understand )

I will definitely be there - would be a poor show if the one person within walking (or staggering) distance wasn't there..

Sign me up as we discussed on Sunday at Derby Chris.

After this weekend end how can I not refuse. I will be there

put me down as a provisional, 12 months is a bit far ahead for me to plan.
    not sure what I'm doing next week, never mind next year!

Ok Ive got some feed back that was given to Boney10 at the weekend ,looking at the sept 2014 dates already posted and private room for members only so going to arrange to visit the museum on Thursday with Hedeby and will post all details up on Thursday afternoon so we can finalise things after that .Cheers every one .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	111618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	111619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	111620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	111621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	111622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	111623Hi Chaps Chris better known as Hedeby and myself had a very successful recce over the former R.A.F Doncaster today now known as Doncaster Air Museum ,the locals were astounded by 2 young and dashing pilots as ourselves and are waiting to meet the rest of you chaps as well. Ok this is what we got .
    The Meeting room and the sunken floor room booked for the 20th &21st of September 2014 we could easily have 3 large set ups in the meeting room and a couple of smaller games in the sunken floor room ,each room has displays of uniforms ,pictures and models to add to the occasion and there is even an air raid siren for those bombing missions .. The use of the museum kitchen to brew up in and the freedom of the museum for the staggering price of Ł150.00 all in ,and even better we dont pay till the day ,so we work out on the saturday how many have turned up and split the cost between us .

If we can start to confirm numbers as soon as we can and also any one wanting accommodation in any of the near by hotels are advised to book now as we were advised they are busy in September. For the outdoor types caravans are allowed to pitch for a small fee ,all our gear can be kept secure in the rooms over night The pics show both the rooms we have hired the public will be kept away although they will be in other parts of the museum . Oh and the last plus for this venue is a great shop packed full of models ,diecasts , books,dvds etc.

Chris was amazed how great avenue it is and I am sure he will comment on his re action to it ....please note the camp bed for when we get tired .

It seems like the perfect venue Rich, I for one will certainly go. I just have to find out my work schedule for next year to see if I'm working and have to put some holiday in to cover.

I thought from pic 1 that that was the room converted from the Nimrod front end! Looks good. Might have to wait until closer to book hotel though, well after Xmas anyway. But count me in either way.

Just want to second everything that Richard (what a thoroughly nice chap) has said, the place is perfect.
    Gaming in restored world war two airfield buildings, surrounded by planes, uniforms, displays - the setting is just right.
    We have loos and a kitchen at our disposal and there is no problem with us bringing in food and beer (massive ASDA a couple of hundred yards away for additional supplies - think we have have to upgrade from virtual G&Ts to a few of the real thing.
    Place is well out the way (a bugger to find if you don't know where it is...) nice area out front if anyone wished to utilise for camping or caravans, ample free parking.Building is secure and alarmed etc so perfect for leaving out stuff there overnight.

I honestly don't think we could find a more suitable location.. and all for Ł150 for the two days !

My main thought on leaving was that we ought to make this an annual event !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post

My main thought on leaving was that we ought to make this an annual event !!!
    I couldn't agree more, well said Chris

Cheers Chris and could not agree more on the annual event idea.

I concur. The Aerodrome annual get together for merriment and playing.

I was being tactful with the merriment in case swmbo gets to see this part of our plan!

and beer !

Count me in, and could we have some sort of consensus as to where we stay so we could all get in the same hotel. Maybe even get a discount for a block booking.

Mark.

There are at least 4 hotels in walking distance ,one literally on the door step plus lots more within a 5 minute drive away but getting everyone into 1 may be a issue unless booked very early I think Hedeby put a list of hotels up earlier in this thread but a search on google will show them just make sure you include near to Doncaster Air museum in the search or you end up with an endless list some of them miles away .

Put me down as a definite.
    Just booked my hotel at Premier Inn Doncaster Central East and there is no deposit to pay, full amount payable when you get there.

As you may have guessed I'm in. I will liaise with Andrzej about what we are doing as he will be staying with us.
    Rob.

OOh first hotel booked already this is getting seriously exciting now - Rob I think we may well need an addition Polo shirt / Tee shirt order ahead of the event.
    I wont begin to go down the route of asking whether or not this would qualify as a medal event, lol - but an international event does kind of set a new benchmark - just a thought

just so we know whats what ,and this can be changed /updated as we go along.

attending :16
    Itchy
    Hedeby
    Baron Rolf
    F.O.Kyte
    Armstrong John
    David Manley
    Night Bomber
    Boney 10
    Brambo
    Se5a
    thomatchef
    skafloc
    BURT
    The Black knight.
    Guzzi
    Hawkhurst

Possibles:4
    Htraino
    skipper
    John Biggles
    RJB
    Last edited by itchy; 10-07-2013 at 03:21.

Add possibles Skipper and Guzzi too.

At present a full weekend gaming for a tenner, can't beat that. come on lads get motivated a few more and its hotel and beer money only required.

As I mentioned to Boney10 at Derby, put me down as a definite. Even if I can't make it I'll send my contribution for the kitty.

All Changed / added skafloc

You forgot me as well, I'm a definate.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    just so we know whats what ,and this can be changed /updated as we go along.

attending :
    Itchy
    Hedeby
    Baron Rolf
    F.O.Kyte
    Armstrong John
    David Manley
    Night Bomber
    Boney 10
    Brambo
    Se5a
    thomatchef
    skafloc
    BURT

Possibles:
    Htraino
    skipper
    John Biggles
    guzzi
    Confirmed. By air, see or any other way. I am in.

Andy.

well at this rate we are in for Ł11.54 each or if the possibles manage to juggle things so they can attend we are down to Ł8.83 each ,either way not bad for the weekend and thats if we don't get any more takers.

If we are left with a silly amount (e.g. something and 54p) shall we round it up and give a small donation to the museum?

Looks like we can get approx 4 6 x4 tables in the rooms how does this sound

Table 1 WW2 BoB
    Table 2 WW1
    Table 3 WW2 Pacific
    Table 4 Zeppelin

Any other tables we can add to WW1 Balloons and bombers, people can then move around and try various things.
    Or
    We wanting a tournament similar to "Time of Aces"

Lastly would participants be wanting a momento of the weekend either a pin badge or t-shirt?
    Last edited by Boney10; 10-04-2013 at 14:15.

If we are left with a silly amount (e.g. something and 54p) shall we round it up and give a small donation to the museum?
    Good idea I'm sure that on the day people would not mind chipping in a nominal Ł1 for the museum and Itchies RBL charity

Good idea of the donation. I'm sure for this momentous occasion we should have a 'seen the film bought the T shirt' kind of momento. Whether its a badge, T shirt etc costs, vote etc would be necessary?

1. Donation is a very good idea. If any payment is required in advance, please announce it, chaps.
    2. T-shirt!

I will be doing a normal sweat shirt run after Christmas, but will need 30 people to give me an order to make it viable. I will inquire at the same time about a special for the National Aerodrome event.
    Rob.

Put me down as a possible as well. It's a bit too far in advance to know for certain but I am keen to come
    I will probably bring my tin tent on wheels.

Richard

Thats good Richard have popped you down as a possible and if that becomes a definite I will pass you the contact details for the caravan ,cant be many places you park your caravan right next to a hawker hunter and a harrier .

Not wanting to step on anyone's toes, is anyone else planning a tourney for this event?

I have a WGF one-dayer in mind that I would quite happily run for all, which should give at least 6x 1 hour linked games, in a similar vein to Time of Aces.

That would leave the Sunday for pick up games or the usual mix of Show games.

As I said, I'll bow out if something's already planned, but my offer's on the gaming table...

And Boney, you need to clear out your mailbox!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I will be doing a normal sweat shirt run after Christmas, but will need 30 people to give me an order to make it viable. I will inquire at the same time about a special for the National Aerodrome event.
    Rob.
    You can put me down for one or two Rob

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WW1 Aerodrome Map
    By Stormkahn in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 17:47