Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aerodrome get together

I'll be there. Indicative (and very reasonable) costs were at post #38, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I believe it is next year Andy.

On the 17th of the seventh, Chris posted this:-

The proposed get together in Doncaster is for 2014. The 100 year anniversary of the Great War.
    We are down for Derby this year waiting final details.

I think we are a bit too late to arrange it for this year.

Rob.

Exactly. I was mislead for a moment by the date in your post. It's good to have the things planned in advance.
    2014 is what should be

I have just checked flights to Doncaster from my nearest airport and can not wait the moment they open booking for Sep.'14.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Tables for?
    Playing the games on, or have I missed something

Apologies, didn't quite grasp. Book 1 for me to, what size are the tables? Big enough for 4 WOG mats?

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Playing the games on, or have I missed something

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Exactly. I was mislead for a moment by the date in your post. It's good to have the things planned in advance.
    2014 is what should be

I have just checked flights to Doncaster from my nearest airport and can not wait the moment they open booking for Sep.'14.
    Keep us informed and we will collect you from the airport Andy. You might find East Midlands airport also do flights, but I'm not sure since BMI Baby folded last year.
    Rob.

I am sure if we know where our European brethren are flying to in advance we can arrange transport.

I'm coming to! Got approval for both this and Prague Summer Con 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    I'm coming to! Got approval for both this and Prague Summer Con 2014!
    Great to know!
    Thomas, I think we should discuss the Prague 2014 term then, for - so to say - high temperatures reasons. (April, May?) But that is another topic.

Great to know!
    Thomas, I think we should discuss the Prague 2014 term then, for - so to say - high temperatures reasons. (April, May?) But that is another topic.
    Indeed but next year I'll be alone at both these meetings. This year my family joined me because it was combined with our holiday as well. I think from now on if I go to WOG meetings, I'll be alone .

Since we are planning this for september 2014, we better start for Prague as well maybe. I was already thinking of starting a thread but wanted to leave the honor to one of the actual organizers.

Indeed but next year I'll be alone at both these meetings. This year my family joined me because it was combined with our holiday as well. I think from now on if I go to WOG meetings, I'll be alone .

Since we are planning this for september 2014, we better start for Prague as well maybe. I was already thinking of starting a thread but wanted to leave the honor to one of the actual organizers.
    1. I'll go to Doncaster by myself as well.
    2. Please start the thread, Thomas. It's good to plan in advance, you are right

It is great to hear that you can both make it over for next year.
    This could turn out to be the start of something special.
    Rob.

I can pick anyone up flying into Doncaster/Robin Hood/Finningley (what was wrong with Finningley as an airport name I will never know) as its less than 10 minutes from home - all I need to know is arrival times etc

Just been looking for flights from Belgium to Doncaster and back... It seems that non exist. The alternative that the sites give me is Manchester Airport...
    Is somebody from that area also attending the get together? Or is their a good train connection between Manchester and Doncaster. I can get reduction on the price for the train so wouldn't be a big problem.

Maybe other idea's?

Just been looking for flights from Belgium to Doncaster and back... It seems that non exist. The alternative that the sites give me is Manchester Airport...
    Is somebody from that area also attending the get together? Or is their a good train connection between Manchester and Doncaster. I can get reduction on the price for the train so wouldn't be a big problem.

Maybe other idea's?
    Thomas,
    there are quite cheap flights from Wrocław (PL) to Doncaster that I found. What about trying to get to Doncaster through... another EU airport (in Germany or Poland or another country). Frankfurt should be connected to Doncaster, I am sure.

Thomas if you're stuck fly into Newcastle from Brussels. I could always pick you up and take you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Thomas if you're stuck fly into Newcastle from Brussels. I could always pick you up and take you down.
    I think I will do that. Just checked and they fly from Brussels to Newcastle. Any idea on when I should arrive, friday or saterday? Sunday will be my departure date normally...

There is a pretty good train service direct from Manchester Airport to Doncaster, also may be worth checking out Leeds/Bradford airport - close enough that I could always pick someone up from there if necessary

Thomas it will depend on what my shifts are. At present with us going into the private sector I don't know how that will pan out. But we have time to plan. Chris has hinted at Manchester. We perhaps need to look at all contingencies so we're covered come what may.

I think I will do that. Just checked and they fly from Brussels to Newcastle. Any idea on when I should arrive, friday or saterday? Sunday will be my departure date normally...

As we have a date and its now only a year to the proposed event, before the end of the year I would like to tie up some points before the next year campaign season starts.

Date is 20 and 21 September 2014 venue Doncaster Air museum

Cost for the venue currently £98 per day total £196.
    Itchy can you find out what kind of deposit needed and when needed by please.
    Also if they have tables and chairs available and how many, is this included in the hire price?
    What is parking like here and capacity.

Once we can get this admin sorted we can see who is definately coming down so we can split the cost, the more people the less the cost.

Once we have this sorted more details can be set up, scenarios etc and possible as a grand finale a record attempt on the Sunday, but I digress.
    Do we want to invite some traders, will the air museum allow us to have traders?
    Here I am thinking some local business, possibly Dom may be interested here, we nearly all use his decals, plus I was chatting to KR at Colours and he may also be interested in popping along, anyone know of other traders with a WG interest ?

But let's see about deposits and finalising the venue.
    I hope to be able to devote a bit more time this coming week then after Derby

Would people like to see a Grand Campaign weekend or lots of individual multiplayer scenarios?

Depending on room how about a centralised group of table with a theme, campaign or otherwise. Periferal tables (double mat size area), for individual, or join in games. People, dependent on numbers, can drift between both. I would love to run a participation game aside from the main event. (sink the carriers or down the Zeppelin). I love the idea of a record attempt on the Sunday.

Argh!! - Wife's birthday! Afraid that may be dirt in my fuel line as far as my attendance goes - Apologies

Would people like to see a Grand Campaign weekend or lots of individual multiplayer scenarios?
    I'd love to go for a Grand Campaign, but since more than 10 planes on a single table may lead to a headache (I do not know the number of participants yet), we can form two opposite competitive squadrons (e.g. Eagles vs. Bulldogs) and divide them into flights that may compete in separate missions on individual tables, counting individual and squadron scores (kills and points for completing single missions). The squadrons may be rearmed during the course of war. At the end of the day we count squadron points, total kills and individual kills and declare the winning team/pilot.
    Just two pennies.

Will this be a WWI exclusive? I thought of bringing my WWII stuff with me that covers BoB, Desert and Eastern front....

Anyways I'm still coming!

I did think both versions, not exclusive WW1.

I would like to see a sort of campaign, starting with the early stuff and moving through different scenarios using different stuff (2-seaters, bombers, balloons, etc.)with the planes used progressing as the war goes on. We could set a standard number of kills to become an ace, and if your pilot is killed you start the next game as a rookie. Just some thoughts, what do you think.

Mark.

I'd love to go for a Grand Campaign, but since more than 10 planes on a single table may lead to a headache (I do not know the number of participants yet), we can form two opposite competitive squadrons (e.g. Eagles vs. Bulldogs) and divide them into flights that may compete in separate missions on individual tables, counting individual and squadron scores (kills and points for completing single missions). The squadrons may be rearmed during the course of war. At the end of the day we count squadron points, total kills and individual kills and declare the winning team/pilot.
    Just two pennies.
    Now that's exactly what I would have said, had I thought of it Great idea Andy. Some of our more experienced members could be put in charge of the different Squadrons and assign missions. They could also go on missions, but if they got killed they would become a rookie and somebody would take their place.

This all sounds very exiting now.
    Just posed the question to SWMBO and she has given me a weekend pass
    I will probably need 2 nights in some local hostelry when arrangements can be made.
    Don

Hi sorry for not keeping up with this ,been really ill and in and out of hospital ,chris will pm you as requested.

Sounds like this is developing nicely. I have a pass out so, international and/or naval crises notwithstanding I'll be there. I really don't mind what the format is as long as we have a UK record attempt game sometime during the weekend

Arnhem is still on the cards for me, so may have to miss this....

I have put the date in my diary.
    Fortunately for me it is the week after Mrs K's birthday.
    Rob.

I have already briefed SWMBO and declared myself absent for the weekend - Love the campaign idea, and the record attempt - in fact am excited about every aspect of this - can't wait.
    There are a couple of inexpensive hotels within a few hundred yards of the venue - well within staggering distance.... (A premier Inn and a couple of others - the museum is at the 'Lakeside' area of Doncaster and there are three hotels in that immediate area, without having to go into the town itself - also a couple of pub/restaurants as well) I can get details if anyone requires them. Parking is no problem at the venue or indeed at the nearby hotels (and is probably free)

Nearby Hotels (5-10 minutes walk, or 2 mins by car)

Hotel Campanile (prices from £29)
    2 x Premier Inns (prices from £43)
    Park Inn by Radisson (prices from £40)

I have checked and the proposed week is the week AFTER the St. Leger Racing Festival so there should be no problem with room availability - the previous weekend would be a complete nightmare...

If anyone has any questions or needs any info let me know and I will do my best to provide what the internet can't
    The venue is within a couple of hundred yards of Doncaster Racecourse so there may well be plenty of B&Bs that are within a comfortable distance

Love this idea - a sort of personal campaign - great idea - could get really competitive as well which would add to the fun

Hi Boney 10 (chris ) sent you a couple of pm's but they are not showing up in my sent box ,can you let me know if you have received them ?

Hi was working a little blind on this as I didnt get any emails from boney 10 back ,not sure what the problem was so any way got hold of my contact at the museum and IF we allow members of the public in to look and learn , I.E answer questions participation games and I put my Royal British Legion collection buckets out ,we can have the meeting room and uniform display rooms for a "donation " of about £50 but more the better . If Boney 10 and F.O kyte or some one can confirm this is ok I can go over next thursday and book it .The 20/21st sept 2014 are free at the moment . If we go ahead I will post full details when I have had a meeting with the trustees next thursday ,any local aerodrome members want to meet up with and tag along please do ,as stated earlier I have been very ill this year and still facing some cancer ops so some one riding shotgun might be good if I am taken ill again .oh forgot the answer to some questions already asked ..tables and chairs are provided we have to arrange them though . car parking is available but limited and bearing in mind that the museum will want the full paying public in as well car sharing ,walking from hotel etc might be an idea organisors are usually allowed to park in the rear of the museum . Let me know what is decided Cheers.

Let me know when you are going - and I will pop along as wing man (I only live 5 or 6 minutes away)
    Are you going to Donnington on Saturday? if not drop me an e-mail and we can arrange to pop down and have a chat with them (its a while since I have been down to the museum any way)

Apologies Richard something else cropped up. Will you be at Derby this weekend so we can have a chat ?
    If not Ill mail you, honest, Wednesday, am on nights Mon & Tuesday.
    Chris as you are the next nearest local would you mind riding shotgun with Richard on this, again Ill have a chat with you this weekend.

Hi chaps no i'm not at Derby I'm working this week end ,nights actually like you Chris (boney) ,I will sort out a time and send pm's regarding what time we can meet up Chris(hedeby) lol this could get confusing Chris & Chris though I am use to it I work in a 5 man team and it has 3 Daves .

OK Richard, will mail you Monday.
    I know what you mean about names, on my shift we have four Johns looking after one network, can be confusing

I don't want to make a fuss or sound selfish, but I thought the idea of a get together was for us to have a gaming weekend. If we have to answer questions from the public and invite them to join in it will eat away at the time we have to play. We would also have to keep things simple as not only would these visitors not be familiar with the game, they would probably not even be wargamers. We have plenty of opportunities throughout the year to promote the game at the various shows we attend, so I think that we should try and keep this in house. Of course I don't know the cost if we want to keep it to ourselves but I think we should find out and make a decision based on feedback. If the cost was thought to be too much I may be able to get us another venue in Doncaster.

No issues thought it was a nice idea spend most of my show gaming doing participation games so just normal to me ,the museum will let the aerodrome have the function rooms with no public access at the prices stated earlier in the thread if you skip back Im sure the price is mentioned at least twice,just thought i was helping out ,if we can have a group decision before next week though don't want to go over and sort it out then find out only 3 of us are turning up .

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongjohn1 View Post
    I don't want to make a fuss or sound selfish, but I thought the idea of a get together was for us to have a gaming weekend. If we have to answer questions from the public and invite them to join in it will eat away at the time we have to play. We would also have to keep things simple as not only would these visitors not be familiar with the game, they would probably not even be wargamers. We have plenty of opportunities throughout the year to promote the game at the various shows we attend, so I think that we should try and keep this in house. Of course I don't know the cost if we want to keep it to ourselves but I think we should find out and make a decision based on feedback. If the cost was thought to be too much I may be able to get us another venue in Doncaster.

The same discussion was raised also in the start of the topic for the Prague Summer Con 2014. I to was hesitating to let new people or visitors join the game. But al depends on who want to do this and how many are expected. I don't know the museum but how many visitors are expected during the weekend, and how many of them will show interest in the game? The Prague Summer Con 2013 was also open to visitors and new players and it wasn't exactly a run-over. According to Jan no new players turned up and the players that turned up unexpected where people who knew the game.
    How many of us gamers are expected to join the weekend? I'm sure some of them are very willing to explain the game to visitors and run a participation game. I'm for sure wouldn't mind giving a short explanation. You could always set up a separate table for short participation games. Keep the games short and then it's easier to switch the GM from time to time.

Here in Belgium I can hardly play the game because of the lack of other gamers who share interest in the game. No idea how the situation is in England, but if I could have such a nice opportunity to show the game to people who share interest in aviation and the game (people you can find in an aviation museum...) I would grab it with my two hands...

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    No issues thought it was a nice idea spend most of my show gaming doing participation games so just normal to me ,the museum will let the aerodrome have the function rooms with no public access at the prices stated earlier in the thread if you skip back Im sure the price is mentioned at least twice,just thought i was helping out ,if we can have a group decision before next week though don't want to go over and sort it out then find out only 3 of us are turning up .

I'd love to play with "professionals", but have a very good personal experience from Origins 2013 as a Game Master. There were some new people willing to join the scenario we were playing and I was able to explain them the rules in five minutes, no joking.
    Even if we play a weekend grand campaign, there may be guest stars newbies and I would not care at all

The museum isnt that busy normally but they will advertise the event and the wargames shows usually bring some people in but the fact that the visitors will be paying the museum entrance fee to get in they usually dont want to get involved in "long" games as they have paid to see the exhibits

I'll discuss these points this weekend with the chaps attending and hopefully we will get a consensus.
    In the meantime Ill troll through the thread to see who has said yes to coming.

If they only want £50 up front and nobody else is interested I will foot the bill myself just to get the friends I expect to see turn up. Let the crowds roll in.
    Chris and I can handle that.
    Rob.

Count me in, I enjoy meeting people and if it means I get to have some fun as well, say no more. SWMBO pink chit obtained.

Just to confirm I am a yes

I'll discuss these points this weekend with the chaps attending and hopefully we will get a consensus.
    In the meantime Ill troll through the thread to see who has said yes to coming.

Count me as a definate as well please.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WW1 Aerodrome Map
    By Stormkahn in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 17:47