30 20.13%
  • a mix of above

21 14.09%
  • do you keep the empty original packs

36 24.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: storage

Default storage

How do you store your models and do you keep your original boxes ,I am just moviung mine into foam trays as the plastic inserts are beginning to crack and a couple have just dropped into pieces .

Just about to do the same Richard - Memsahib is buying me some KR Cases for m'birthday, up until now I've had them in a couple of plastic storage boxes but they are neither secure nor big enough anymore !!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Just about to do the same Richard - Memsahib is buying me some KR Cases for m'birthday, up until now I've had them in a couple of plastic storage boxes but they are neither secure nor big enough anymore !!
    Same here all my metal miniatures are in foam trays but my WOW/WOG were in original boxes which take up lots of cupboard space and as I said the boxes are starting to fall apart.

I recently moved my miniatures from original boxes to Feldherr foam trays. Suddenly, my whole airfleet of around 50 planes (bar bombers and balloons) can be moved easily in a single Felherr MAXI case, which still has an empty tray and some spaces in the other trays free. The only problem is the bases and manoeuvre decks, but I am working on a solution.

I am thinking of getting a second Feldherr case, or perhaps a larger one, so that it can store two columns of trays, some of which will be used to store balloons, bombers and decks/bases.

Here is my solution:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hlight=Storage
    post number 27.
    Works fine for me. All Maneuver decks are stored in a seperate box in zip bags. The damage cards, bases, pegs and counters in another plastic box like above.

I selected "home made cases", but that isn't exactly true. I store my models in tackle box trays intended for fishing lures. I found at a sporting goods store a tall version in which I can place a maneuver deck, base, and model all in the same compartment. By removing a divider and creating a double size compartment, I can just barely fit in the He 111. I like the system because each case hold 24 fighter planes and by keeping each model stored with its corresponding base and maneuver deck, I can set up games faster.

I keep mine in the original box, and store them in plastic hobby carrying cases that I purchase from a local fabric and crafts store. I can fit 8 planes in the compartment under the lid. Inside there are three storage trays, one thin, two thick. The thin one is good for small unofficial planes, and the thick good for just about anything. I've also discovered unofficial fighters fit quite nicely in General Foods' International Coffee tins. And those tins are a perfect match for the larger storage trays.

I keep them in the original boxes, but I'd like to set up a custom bag with foam compartaments.

Mine are in the original boxes (except for a flight of Skytrex Nieuports, which are in foam. Eventually, I'd like to put them in foam and sort them by time period.

I have about 80% in AA foam trays and the AA bags. With the new trays coming out, this will become 100% less unpainted Shapeways and F-toys.
    Karl

I just bought a KR case and love the soft foam! I have 12 fighters and my 2 balloons in that case, and next month I'll be ordering a case of 2 seater foam. I plan on moving it all to KR cases. It is so much faster to get a game on the table when you can just pull the planes and cards from a case and not have to open the boxes and wrestle with the plastic inserts. I'll probably flatten the boxes and stack the inserts for long term storage. Not sure why, but I hate to just throw them out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Joel
    Sorties Flown

IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg

Seat cushion replacement foam, toothpicks, really tiny tubing, and some clearence magnetic artsy boxes from Michaels, makes for a good case, also have one for large aircraft made with rods that come up from underneath so they dont move due to the heavier nature of the aircraft.

Thumbs up

Aerodrome Accessories Foam Trays for me!
    I like having the space with the plane to house the Manouver deck, base & pegs.

AA foam trays for Series 1 -4. Original boxes for Series 5, Bombers, & Series 1 re-issues. Egg carton foam for balloons, F-Toys and Shapeways planes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

I made my own. Foam, hot knife, and...of all things...duct tape. It isn't pretty but it works, that is, until I save up money for more fitted trays and carrying case.

I use modified plastic multi-compartmented boxes (like tackle boxes). See this thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...orage-solution

Like others, I can't bear to throw out the original boxes, so they are accumulating in a number of large boxes in the wardrobe of the guest room.

I use the original boxes , but I intend to get some foam trays so I can store/ transport them safely.

Similar to Mark, original boxes with intentions for trays or some such thing to facilitate transport. I don't know if I will part with the boxes even with the trays. I have regretted such moves in the past.

All my aircraft are in foam trays within FiC cases.
    Had I not have already been seriously committed to the FiC range before the Oberst started his system, I would have undoubtedly used his. It would have still been the same answer.
    Rob.

I use foam trays...they are quite handy if you have to transport your mini's

Lined up on a shelf in cpflyer's room for now.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I use the Oberst's foam trays. But I use some Clippers storage ideas. I store all my maneuver deck in a compartmentalized plastic 'sewing' box with my flame/smoke markers, all damage decks, flak bursts, explosions, tokens, and AA guns. My plan is to have enough foam trays to store both WoW/G mini's and Shapeways by type and stack them in drawers. Taking out the types I'm planning on playing and taking them in my bag(s). Long way to go before that is realized!

All my WOG stuff is stored in "Really Usefull Boxes". You can stack em on each other, they are sturdy and you can see through them so ideal for display without people touching them.

DSC04996.jpg

I made an perplex insert to obtain a second level and this box can now contain 40 fighters. The bolts keep the insert on its place so al mini's are protected even if the box is shaken.

DSC04997.jpg

The insert can be easily removed by lifting it out to have access to the lower mini's.

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

My cards and maneuver decks are also stored in "Really Usefull Boxes". Inside are smaller boxes which each contain 2 maneuver decks and 2 bases. Those 2 decks are divided by a thick plastic card.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    All my WOG stuff is stored in "Really Usefull Boxes". You can stack em on each other, they are sturdy and you can see through them so ideal for display without people touching them.
    Impressive. I just went to "Really Useful Boxes". Thanks for the ideas.

I have three KR cases for most of my planes but I need another case for my ever expanding collection.
    I keep the Balloons in their original boxes as they take up too much space in the KR cases and only get used occasionally.
    I find it very handy to be able to carry a couple of KR cases (1 each for Allies and Central powers) to give me all the planes I need for a game, though I now need an extra pair of hands now for the WoG mats.
    Don

Looks great, but how are the planes kept in place?
    It's not obvious from your pictures.

This question is directed at Thomatchef.
    Last edited by wjw; 04-05-2013 at 16:21. Reason: added more info

Sorry for a bit of offtopic, but I recently found a perfect way to store my cards.

The Ultimate Guard Card Case for 75 MtG sized cards, since by coincidence the size is just right to store WOW/WOG cards, both sleeved and unsleeved, both vertically and horizontally, whichever way you may prefer. The cases come in various colours. I bought five of those in a local board games shop, for the amazing price of 40 CZK (about 2$) per piece.

KR case for me and a balloon in it's original box for the same reason as Don.

Rich

Thomatchef,
    Gidday I have been trying to find the small cases you are using to store your cards. I have had a look at Really Usefull Boxes but can't seem to find them. Could you let me know the code or where you got them from please.

Regards Gemmas Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmas Brother View Post
    Thomatchef,
    Gidday I have been trying to find the small cases you are using to store your cards. I have had a look at Really Usefull Boxes but can't seem to find them. Could you let me know the code or where you got them from please.

Regards Gemmas Brother
    Was going to post the same thing. I checked the site again earlier today, but couldn't find them this time either. Thought I was missing something.

D, head on over to the Report for Duty forum sometime and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...eport-for-Duty

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmas Brother View Post
    Thomatchef,

Regards Gemmas Brother
    Well the small boxes for the cards aren't from "really useful boxes". The larger ones containing those small boxes are. Those boxes are normally for baptism sugar (don't know if that is the correct word for it). They are from a belgium store called "AVA papierwaren" and there is a code on the boxes but I'm afraid you won't be much with it. The code is 9999004351755. But again I think this one is shop specific. I would suggests to look for some kind of similar store where you can find stuff to make baptism sugars yourself and with a bit of luck you'll find something as useful as I did.

Default Part of my Storage System

All,
    I have several methods, including the 100-count Collector Card boxes for my Paper planes, but I'm waiting for some Aerodrome Accessories cases to put them in. I have a Watch Your Back box with the inserts from four Airplane Packs (2 Rolands and 2 D.H. 4s). And since the arrival of my score (14 planes from Pollux66 - this doubled my collection), I needed something to tide me over until I can afford my Ranger Bag from Aerodrome Accessories.

So, to keep the "new to me" minis from banging around loose in a box, and getting damaged, I looked for a quick and cheap option. Well, it worked out to be cheap. Not so quick. Also, Pollux66 sent some of the maneuver decks and plane cards held together with bulldog type clips. Excellent for quick and easy retention, but they might damage the cards. So, I found a file in the Hobby Forum for card strips, and started putting together my own version for my collection.

That started up a quest to do strips for all my cards, and all my maneuver decks. First the mini storage:

RedBox1.jpg
    The red box is a 14"x14"x4" Scrap Book Project case. I bought four sheets of 1/4" Craft Foam, and cut it out in layers for the planes. First layer was landing gear, second for lower wings, and the top for upper wings (these minis were all fitted with gimbal mounts, including the rogue Spitfire, held by the gimbal in a small circular hole). I glued the layers together and taped them to the bottom of the box. This is only good for level storage, as the top of the foam does not reach the top of the case. $10.00, not including taxes - the case was 60% off, $1.00 for the four sheets (one for a topper, yet to be cut, if I do that).

RedBox7.jpg
    This is a bit of a close-up showing the decks and custom paper strips with the plane ID.
    Dan-Sam was the inspiration for the deck strips, but I modified them for my collection.

WhiteBox4.jpg
    So, taking Dan-Sam's idea, and looking at my case full of Nexus cards, I figured I should organize that mess, too. Now that I have, it is Awesome! No more randomly plucking up decks, hoping to find the right maneuver deck or right damage deck. And I found ground targets, AA guns, AA MGs, Trench and bombing cards, too.

WhiteBox2.jpg
    The white case is compartmented, with some adjustable partitions. It is actually for Beading. So what.

WhiteBox1.jpg
    This is soo much more organized, and it is not horizontally challenged. This holds all the cards for Famous Aces, Watch Your Back, Burning Drachens, two Balloon Buster boxes, Flight of the Giants, and all the Booster Packs (I haven't picked up "Hit and Run", but there is room for it, if I wanted it). It doesn't hold the cockpit cards or the bomber and balloon cards, but that might fit into the Red Box, if needed.

WhiteBox3.jpg
    And the case actually closes. There are four range rulers in the front of the box, along with all the card sleeves I haven't used yet, and the extra dividers that came with the case (if I decide to re-purpose the case when I get the Ranger Bag).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wjw View Post
    Looks great, but how are the planes kept in place?
    It's not obvious from your pictures.

This question is directed at Thomatchef.
    I seemed to have overlooked this post. Sorry for that!!

The mini's are kept in place like Joel (Jwar). Except I don't use toothpicks but small screws with are bolted through the bottom of the box. Then add a small piece of silicone tubing (from fuel lines for RC cars) and you have a mount.

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02938.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

Right now I use original boxes packed inside jumbo Panera Bread catering boxes (one each WWI Entente, WWI CP, WW2 Allies, WW2 Axis) with my Balloon Busters and WWI card-game boxes (did you know that if you pack 'em right each core box will also hold two expansion decks?) as overflow.

Looking for a more efficient and sturdier option, though... thinking that the 0.3L Really Useful Boxes ought to be good for two planes each with bases and decks, or maybe four without, then packing them as sub-sections into a larger Really Useful Box.

I use two different boxes. 1 for the plane cards/manouver deck, bases and pegs. The other is a general purpose utility box suited to the size of the models. These I line with foam to roter the models inside the boxes. I get my bowes from K Mart which are really quite cheep and the foam from Clark Rubber. These are then stores in large 60ltr containers (also from K Mart) for each period I am gaming eg Early WW1. Along with 1 master container containing all the rules (WW1 & WW2) markers , clouds ect. So if I am going out for a game all I have to do is get the master container, and the period box and load them into the car. Time taken 5 minutes (well I am getting old and forgetfull so have to double check I have the right boxes). Anyway thats my system and it works for me

i keep everything in the original boxes but this is getting cumbersome and the boxes and trays are starting to show wear. i hope to be able to get foam trays and a transport bag but so far other things keep rearing their ugly head. i want to get trays that will hold cards and pegs as well so i dont have to look around for them when getting an a/c out of the hangar.

Foam trays now.

I am looking at a foam tray solution, probably from Battlefoam, but have been holding off purchase until I have some idea of just how large my WGF (and now WGS) collection will grow.

I'm realizing I should probably just go for the biggest thing they've got...

I still have mine in the original boxes inside larger cardboard boxes. I really should find something more substantial.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Since my collection is pretty small at the moment, I keep the planes in plastic trays that snap together for easy transport. The maneuver cards I keep in tuck boxes that I printed from a template with added artwork. Once it starts to grow more, I may have to switch to foam trays and larger storage boxes.

My collection has grown considerably. I have foam trays but had to go to Plano type plastic trays. The fighter fits in with no problem to keep the cards in place I use foam spacers.

I heartily recommend Riker Boxes. You'll probably recall them as specimen boxes. Most are black clad card boxes with clear plastic or glass inserts in the covers. They typically come with rayon or similar batting inside but can easily be fitted with hard or soft foam inserts. There are a number of sellers on eBay or just google Riker Boxes. Big stationery chains also catalog them. The boxes are dirt cheap, durable, and come in a wide variety of sizes. I really like the ease of finding the model I need (just looking this morning for my 1:200 Colditz Cock in anticipation of visiting the replica in Norfolk). It also provides assurance that lovingly painted models will survive the attention of curious visitors and the ministrations of dust-phobic mates. The tops of Riker boxes can be secured with supplied long metal pins, which give reasonable security from uninvited handling.

There are also ranges of similar boxes designed for items such as jewelry. Some come with hinged tops. Most offer a choice of inserts to accommodate contents of various dimensions. I find them specially useful for storing and displaying tiny aircraft, vehicles, figures, and such.

Ron

always in the original boxes except for my Me 262s from AIM.

Large size Battlefoam trays using a custom layout, stored in Battlefoam stacker boxes.

My collection of WWI and WWII currently requires four of these said boxes, all of which are completely full. I can neither confirm nor deny claims of “addiction”, preferring to leave such matters to expert discretion / diagnosis.

Because I’m a hoarder in training, I also keep all the original boxes, “just in case” I wanted to sell planes, which I will never do. But I can’t quite bring myself to throw them away, either.

ive just dipped into the realm of pluckfoam due to difficulty in getting kr multicase trays for my bombers. ive never been a fan of this due to the imprecise nature of the fit. but i must say the results are passable and miles better than storage in original boxes.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Johnnie B
    Sorties Flown

I have a Feldherr Case with pluck foam for mine.

DSC_0811.jpg
    DSC_0808.jpg
    DSC_0809.jpg
    DSC_0810.jpg

I keep mine in foam lined contains from Woolworth.

Similar Missions

1. My storage solution
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 21:55
  2. Card storage box?
    By DuncanBiscuits in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 19:03
  3. My Storage solution
    By Jmac in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3