Ares Games

Thread: Who said Lightning Does not strike the same place twice?

Default Who said Lightning Does not strike the same place twice?

Hi everyone, following on from my thread about Corgi Lightnings in 1/144 scale:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ightning-1-144
    I thought I would show you another one that I have been working on, as I had 2 models of "Miss Virginia". All 4 of the models I have, I picked up cheaply from between about US $5.00 - $12.00 each. The 2 "Miss Virginia" were the dearer ones. I decided to change one as there is nothing more confusing than having 2 "Miss Virginia" planes on the table as I am sure that you would agree...

Anyway it was a simple partial repaint and new decal operation. All the identification marks were painted out with Humbrol enamel paint. I also painted a few other details like the props. Then it was a near simple matter of locating some appropriate decals. Having a look through my spare decal collection I found enough to complete a P-38F-5 Lightning from 347th Fighter Group (New Caledonia) operating with 13th AAF at Guadalcanal in 1943. This aircraft is displayed in the book "Flying Colours" by Green & Swanborough, page 136 (a book I have owned for a very long time and recommend highly for its inspirational colour profiles).

The decals were as follows: 4 sets of "33" from 1/72 "Italaerei" kits, 2 "S" from a 1/144 WW2 aircraft set for Hurricanes, Spitfires etc, from "1/144 Direct" and over-painted yellow. Finally I used 4 sets of sharkmouths (2 for each engine) from Wingkit Collection 7, spares from the P-40 kit as each kit comes with 2 sets of different sharkmouths. I was most concerned about this set of decals as I figured there would be no way that they would go on well without a fair bit of chopping up the decal plus probable painting in sections. However the decals went on as if they were absolutely meant for this model, just leaving a small gap where the decals didn't quite meet on the underside, which I then just painted white and outlined in black like the original decals. After using some decal setter & spraying with matt varnish to seal (masking off the canopy), I superglued the plane to its Litko base as I described in the thread listed above.

Voila! a nice new Lightning takes to the skies with its green "Miss Virginia" sister

I have included a pix of "Miss Virginia" (photo 1) as well as "Sharkmouth" so that you can see the comparisons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo miss virginia 1.jpg   photo shark 2.jpg   photo shark 3.jpg   photo shark 4.jpg  

Thanks! It looks mean on the tabletop - hopefully it scares my opponent into making mistakes!

Nice job on those. You must have a good collection of them. Keep the pics coming,

Umm -- would it be a bad time to mention the props are designed to both turn the same direction, where all (save one) models of the -38 had counter-rotating props? :)

Very nice models Nigel

Thumbs up

Very nice conversion Nigel. Go get some Zeros!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Umm -- would it be a bad time to mention the props are designed to both turn the same direction, where all (save one) models of the -38 had counter-rotating props?
    I don't know, would it?

My props are frozen in time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I don't know, would it? :confused:

My props are frozen in time and space. ;)
    [watches as DH starts twitching, and casting glances at Those Props... Those *INCORRECT* Props, taunting him with their Incorrectness... >:) ]
    Last edited by csadn; 02-14-2013 at 14:33.

I see His Holiness knows about lightning striking twice in the same place. Perhaps he is retiring to spend more time playing Wings of Glory?

Mmmmmmm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P38_Lightning_Wallpaper_um7wd.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I see His Holiness knows about lightning striking twice in the same place. Perhaps he is retiring to spend more time playing Wings of Glory?
    I understand now! His Holiness discovered Hobby Giochi and bought Goring's Fokker D.VII. It is perfect - white with several crosses...

Similar Missions

1. TORPEDO STRIKE - possible Expansion for Wings of Glory: Planes
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 08:55
  2. New Ray P-38 Lightning
    By bigk57 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 07:47
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:37
  4. Wilhelm and Carl strike again