Ares Games

Thread: Lost and Found (1st true AAR: SOLO – Face off (Duel Pack Scenario))

Smile Lost and Found (1st true AAR: SOLO – Face off (Duel Pack Scenario))

"Lost and Found"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0206132100b.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	74789

-----I am taking this game over to my Dad’s tonight (with the eventual aim of getting him into the WWII version so he can have a hobby that is arthritis and war friendly) so I thought I would give it another go and be sure I had the rules in my head. – Surface was a vintage 50’s dining table (about 40”x28” – 102cm*72cm) with a Games Workshop Battlemat on it. I set up as per the scenario in an Albatross D.Va (Baumer) going against a Spad XIII (Luke).-----

"Lost and Found"
    …I cursed my rookie skills as I realized that I had lost my Jasta somewhere along the way to our recon target. I may have been overzealous in my aerobatics against ground fire and now I had no idea where I was. As a result, not only would my mission be down by one man, I was unsupported and unsure of where to go next.

I didn’t have long to dwell on my failure as I soon noticed a Spad bearing down on me. I slipped left in an attempt to avoid his guns and hoping that his speed would cause him to overshoot. It worked, but we almost collided in the process. Luckily he was as afraid of that as I and we passed without incident.

Name:	0206132122.jpg 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	74790

I tried angling for a tail shot in hopes that he was shocked by the near miss, but I soon saw we were on the same track and passed again, this time exchanging some less-than-friendly fire. We both missed and I wondered if this Yank wasn’t a lost greenie as well. Either way, I cleared the jam in my guns and tried leaving the fray, in hopes that he would oblige. He didn’t and his speed ensured that I would be shot down if I did not engage. We turned a bit and made a few passes and I gave as good as I got, but then suffered another jam that caused me to break away. As I did, I got shot up pretty bad and some debris jammed my rudder for a bit before I could work it out.

Once I was back on track, I slipped to his side, staying just out of his arc and punched several holes in his wings and fuselage with a long close burst from my guns. I saw him run when I out turned him and as I came up behind and delivered another burst he pulled an Immelman and came right at me. I knew it was either him or I so I pressed hard and let God decide the better man. I could see his wings taking a beating and one lower tip looked as if to be hanging only by the struts, but then I heard a horrible sound like that of rushing water…and that is how I came to stand before you, St. Peter. So, will I meet this gentleman Yank today?

Name:	0206132306.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	74791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0206132306a.jpg 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	74792

The Crimson Tithe

Name:	0206132307a.jpg 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	74793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0206132307.jpg 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	74794

It was a close fight. I had him down to his last hit point and ultimately, a different draw order would have been a different result. Had I drawn MY damage first, I would be left with a point and he would have <BOOM>ed. Such is fate. It was a fun fight and I am starting to get the hang of the distance that a game turn can take you.

Nice twist to the narrative at the end. Nice AAR & Pics. Solo is a great way to get a "feel" for the way the planes move & interact.

Nice ARR. I hope to be able to try this out soon. My Dual Pack (same one) is somewhere in the postal system in Canada.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I hope to be able to try this out soon. My Dual Pack (same one) is somewhere in the postal system in Canada.
    I feel your pain. I pre-ordered mine and was chomping at the bit when people started posting their unboxing and I still hadn't received mine yet. I got it a few agonizing days later, but it was worth the wait. I don't know if you have any planes yet, but I was glad to read a thread about careful unboxing as the planes are in there very tight. Unfortunately, my Luke lost some paint from the top wing from the plastic clip, even though I was very careful when removing him. Oh, well. It'll give him character.

Give us a good AAR when they finally do make it to the front!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    , a different draw order would have been a different result. Had I drawn MY damage first, I would be left with a point and he would have <BOOM>ed. Such is fate.
    Oh yes! I know that feeling. My last trip over the lines I was showing young Lynch the scenery and ran into a Dva and a DVII.
    The young fool decided to go head to head with the Fokker and then bottled out, turning aside and giving the candy-striped German a clear shot at his tail.

Though the Hun's guns jammed after the first burst the Spad of Lynch was badly shot up by the time I could thrash my Camel into a position for a shot and force Udet to break off.
    The Albatros I'd heavily damaged early on in the encounter then came around head to head for a long range exchange of single damage cards. I offered the deck to the bullet proof one - 1. winged him. I took my card.....

and wound up walking home again! I think people have been slipping extra boom cards into my decks.

Great AAR.loved the St Peter slant. God read, good pics. Look forward to the next report.

Great AAR. I have yet to try any solo missions, but your AAR makes it so much more appealing. Telling it like a story is great... Gotta try that format.

Good AAR - and the curse of the Boom card strikes again. At least you didn't suffer the usual fate of one of my regular opponents, who seems to get the Boom card in the first draw every other game

Exceptional AAR loved the ending (the way it was told ,nothing personal ) and great clear pics too. well done

Great little story line. The combat was fast and tight, and the end a surprise.
    What more could we ask of any AAR.
    Rob.

Has the Bulldog been eating onions? He keeps repeating himself.

A nice AAR there Japheth keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Has the Bulldog been eating onions? He keeps repeating himself.
    Yes, and for once it did not tell me I had made a multiple post. It usually stops you doing that Neil.
    Rob.

Couldn't resist the leg pull Rob. I was going to mention that you may leaning more to the French....but somehow I got sidetracked. see you in the mes for

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Couldn't resist the leg pull Rob. I was going to mention that you may leaning more to the French....but somehow I got sidetracked. see you in the mes for

Neil
    I wool say you thar if I hippen to be pissing by.

Name:	allo-allo-arthur-bostrom-as-officer-crabtree-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	75545Rob.

Nice AAR, and extra kudos for getting in early with an AAR as a new forum member.

Glad to have you as a wingman AI are aggressive aren't they! Nevermind, theres always another day to fly your latest aquisitions

Thumbs up

Really good twist to a one on one AAR.
    I enjoyed reading that. Well done!

Great AAR with a clever twist at the end.

Similar Missions

1. Duel Pack Planes - New Paint Scheme
    By nheather in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-02-2021, 03:16
  2. Contest on BGG - Win a Duel Pack
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 11:45
  3. First Solo Mission Duel
    By bliss_infinite in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 11:56
  4. WGF: Duel Pack info
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 14:47
  5. Duel of the Aces. Bishop vs. Voss. Solo plus Ace Skills.
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 14:38