Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench this February?

Default What's on your workbench this February?

First of a new fleet coming together nicely . . .

Nacelles next . . .

Clipper adrift . . . gotta keep those pesky U-boats under control . . .

Pictures to follow, but the big news is I found my workbench, and a path to it. That took most of a day!
    Now I'm prepping and painting some Shapeways 2 seaters for Contact Patrols at Origins. After that:Kettering Bugs!
    Karl

Does WoG NON-model projects count? (BTW I LOVE the Zepplins. SOMEDAY I may take a go...after more HUMBLE projects...)

Just received some Shapeways models (Fokker DII, Vickers Gunbus, AGO CII & Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter single seater) - so time to get the workbench up and running again

Bristol Fighter just completing today, and then Albatros DII.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Um... over 100 shapeways models....
    Good luck with that Zoe!

My own bench is somewhat less intimidating, I hit it hard in December and January churning out 30 odd WGS aircraft. I now have four Shapeways (2 WGS Glenn Martin 167F bombers and 2 WGF Airco DH.5 fighters), five AIM (all WGS - 3 Dauntless dive bombers and 2 Tupolev SB-2 bombers) and three Skytrex (all WGF - BE2c, Albatros D.II and Nieuport N.11).

But I am afraid its back to work for me in two days. I have just found out I have two major jobs waiting for me, so I don't imagine I'll have much painting time.

Taken a break from aircraft as I have about 9 aircraft from AIM to do, so for a change I am working on WW1 6mm terrain models and 6mm WW2 flak guns just got in a load of models from Scotia Grendel.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Er... the same as for December
    Me too, still two camels and three Aviatik Bergs almost done, but I've also started a Junkers j1, six Phalz.d.xiis, two Fe2bs, an Aviatik C.I and an Albatros C.vii. I really need to finish some soon as I'm running out of space.

I like the look of that balloon Clipper!

Ian

I am just about to finish decaling a Skytrex Aviatik Berg D.I, with two more waiting for assembly.

The central struts of that model have almost driven me nuts.

Just placed an order with shapeways for a DVII,sop tripe,pup,dolphin and a Alb 2 seater in wsf and polished (testing the waters).fingers crossed

Maybe I might finish up the Nieuport 17 's that have been in the basement since September.

Me too! Thanks to Zoe my 14 Nieuports will get new colors this month too! Might have to order a few more just to make it worth my while . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    The central struts of that model have almost driven me nuts.
    That is where you went wrong Jan. You should have started from a position of strength like I did.
    If you are already nuts, there is nowhere to go from there except a bottle.
    Seriously, apart from the undercart of the Hansa Brandenburg, I found this the most awkward strutting that I have come up against.
    Rob.

Two Bristols waiting for British decals, several Nexus Bf 109s to be repainted in 1939 scheme and some Shapeways models (PZL P 11s, I-16s and Oeffags) in delivery.

On my to do list is Wulfram's Dr.I which is in the painting stage , recently I was bought a Revell Micro Machines Dr.I which needs resizing to 1/144th scale to become another pilot for Jasta 11 , then five Fokker D.VII's so once I've got three or four completed then as a reward I'll buy myself two Nieuport 11's and a Rumpler to fly along side my Nexus version.

Have to be WGF/WGS-related? If not, just started a pair of 1/700 C-5's (one opened up for cargo-load, the other buttoned up to fly)... now I need a couple Super Stallions to go with 'em (one flight ready, other rearranged for stuffing up a trash-hauler's hold), and a Pave Low in the same scale to use as a master for casting noses.

Jasta 18 planes? Can't wait to see the finished product.

*I* don't have anything; however, I confess I have Given Clipper Ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That is where you went wrong Jan. You should have started from a position of strength like I did.
    If you are already nuts, there is nowhere to go from there except a bottle.
    Seriously, apart from the undercart of the Hansa Brandenburg, I found this the most awkward strutting that I have come up against.
    Rob.
    Did you mention a bottle? Time for a really good one in the bar: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post196275

Smile Built but not flown in January.

I am late in posting these. They flew for the first time on the 2nd. I Barely finished two Minicraft DC-3/C-47 for a convention this weekend! That Oscar was getting too friendly!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2010031.jpg   P2010053.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    *I* don't have anything; however, I confess I have Given Clipper Ideas....
    So your saying you're an enabler
    Karl

Nice models Richard Heer Oberst you have given me some ideas for a DR1 repaint

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Jasta 18 planes? Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Yep, Jasta 18... so yummy looking and very easy to paint with an airbrush!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Nice models Richard Heer Oberst you have given me some ideas for a DR1 repaint
    I've got Ruben's D.VII in that trio, but I'll most likely do his Dr.I as well.

Just finished 2 Albatros D.IIIs for Flik 55. Feb is Naval Camels and Russian MSs and bomber.

I make for it in February
    :

That's cool.

As for me, I'll have a new box of Shapeways stuff sitting on the doorstep when I get home, so it'll be interesting to see what I'll be working on next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So your saying you're an enabler :hmm:
    More like Jason Lee's character in _Dogma_ -- all I do is provide Ideas, and let the weaknesses of other do the rest....

>;)

Well, there's this from the other day...

Since that was taken I have finished the two D.IIs and the Sopwith Tripe. But I have added...

and...

and...

and...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    More like Jason Lee's character in _Dogma_ -- all I do is provide Ideas, and let the weaknesses of other do the rest....

>
    Ahh, I get it. Good movie too!
    Karl

Just finished blocking out a few LTA's! See Clipper's elves are back in full production . . .

As well as round 2 of the North Sea series

. . . running out of hydrogen . . . (gas shortage?)

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    (gas shortage?)
    Around here? You jest. :)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Waiting for some Valom Sopwith Pups to arrive then I expect to start on those.

The Graf gets silked!

Been a long time since I covered a model in silk, especially a compound curved one! But I got it done all in one piece! First coat of nitrate dope, five to go! Gotta get this one off the bench so I can get to some WOW!

Also forgot how the fumes are so strong . . .

The Graf gets silked!

Been a long time since I covered a model in silk, especially a compound curved one! But I got it done all in one piece! First coat of nitrate dope, five to go! Gotta get this one off the bench so I can get to some WOW!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The Graf gets silked!
    Wow that's first class old school modelling, congrats !
    LOL,

I love the old fabric covered Graf.
    I just got my pair of 1:200 Zvezda Li-2s for conversion to RAAF DC3s. I'm pleasantry surprised at how well they fit together, better that some 1:48 kits Ive had.

That's great Clipper.

Wow, that's fantastic. Ironically, it reminds me of the hot air balloon my team made in Flight Science class in high school. While letting out the tether, the reel jammed, and the balloon pulled a Hindenburg on us. Tragic, yet amusing. Hopefully this baby will not come to such a bitter end. Though... in the grand scheme of things, when time comes to get rid of this kind of stuff, fire can be a good choice. That's what I did to my Dr.I wing cross-section. I held on to that thing for 25 years, and then one day, instead of throwing in the trash, I lit her up. Sad, to see it go, but it seemed more apropos than the garbage heap.

And me... I'm drinking Italian roast coffee and putting the finishing touches on a HD.1, then decals. I have some spare Fulco Ruffo di Calabria, so it's going to get a skull and crossbones.

In my spare time... for "1919" there's a SSW D.VI... http://www.shapeways.com/model/929931

January's painting programme went to rats**t early on, so the February programme will look suspiciously like January's - loads of BoB German stuff. Actually managed to do more yesterday than I did in the whole of the previous month....

On my work space I have 3 Bristol Fighters, 2 DR1s (one broken in half), aRumpler C1, a DVII and an LVG CV. Only the last two are primed, the others are awaiting the preparation treatment.

If I don't get them done by Thursday evening they'll probably still be on the work space come April. However I do feel inspired by all the magnificent work displayed by the members of this forum.

Cheers
    Chris

My Nieuport 17's turned out OK so I just ordered a couple of Shapeways' Handley Page 400's and a Vickers Gunbus. With the announcement by Ares about the new Series 6 planes I need a few more Hanriot HD's to keep Mssr. Coppens company and could probably use a few Nieuport 11's. Get them next month.

Since my Aviatik Berg D.I has been finished and game tested already, I moved to repainting three more Albatros D.III's.

I plan to field them as a kette from Flik 61J, composed of these three planes, or at least the closest match I can produce. Yeah, I know, these are the .153 series Oeffags without the usual Albatros D.III nose, unlike my Voss and Hautzmayer planes, but I like the paint scheme very much:

Oblt.i.d.R. Ernst Strohschneider

Lt.i.d.R. Otto Schrimpl

Lt. Franz Gräser

I keep looking at my Reviresco DIIIs yet to start and keep wondering if I can convert them into Oeffags with the engine cover on.
    I may follow your lead Jan.
    Rob.

Rob, I would love to see more Albatros birds roaming the skies. They are so beautiful!

By the way, I bought some nail stickers with flowers to use them on my airplanes, such as the one flown by Lt.i.d.R. Otto Schrimpl shown above. The nail stickers seem to work just fine and are easier to work with than your common decals, although one must not forget to apply varnish over them.

Finished this earlier in the month

Robert Little - Sopwith Tripe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0159.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	77352

Couldn't wait (I had seen somewhere Andrea was choosing this as one of the paint schemes). Nothing much else on my bench apart from some 'Medieval' longbow arrows, or maybe the last one of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Console3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	77353

Done 3, but ran out of glue.

A very nice plane, Hayden - well done. What is the type of upper colour/paint you used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Ontario: Visiting in February
    By David Manley in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 19:57
  2. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21
  3. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  4. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58
  5. Air War 1914-18 Calendar [February].
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 01:18